Cable collets.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmunn

I have a collection of .187 cable collets and one has a steel insert and a few have the brass insert .Are the components interchangeable and which has the most bite on the cable and is one better than the other.

I think they are aeromarine collets

the brass ones are junk.they twist up bad.aeromarine won't make the 3/16 size in stainless anymore.we tried to get them to make stainless again many years ago.won't do it

Ok, thanks tim.I looked on my peg board and actually had one ,Nor sure if it is the correct thread size but it would not work anyway as in my jae there would not be enough room to get the outer end off to verify that the cable is all the way in.It might work actually but it would be tight as the engine is pretty close to the radio box if ya know what i mean.

I just ended up swapping my old part with a good one and re-used the insert and outer piece.It seems to have tightened up fine and never bottomed out and you cannot pull the cable out of the collet and it is compact so I guess I shall see it it holds.I have not lost a cable in a few years and would like to keep it that way.The part that went on the engine that made me change it out had bad threads or something.The rest seemed fine.

Octura is the only way to go. Im a little confused though. What do you mean cant remove the end to make sure the cable is all the way in? You shouldnt need to make sure the cable is "all the way in".

With the AM collets i make sure the cable passes through the insert and hits on the end of the engine crank and then when you put the outer peice on it pushes the insert into place and seats it into the part that is on the motor.I feel better if the cable is all the way through the collet insert and if you cut the cable so it hits the crank you don't have to mess with getting the 3/16 spacing between the strut bushing and the front of the drive dog.You cut the cable to the correct lenght so it hits the crank and you have the proper 3/16 spacing at the rear.No more guessing.

The octura i have has a shoulder on it that fits in the flywheel so I do not know if it would fit or if the threads are the same.I never looked to check to see if the cable goes all the way through the octura style and can hit the crank either.If that is the case then i would need to shorten the cable which is not a big deal.

I just decided to re-use the same insert and outer peice but a new part that threads onto the motor.

It seems fine now and i had new spare parts so if it hold fine if not then i should have done something else...lol..

Also if using the AM collets be sure to check for seat face perpendicular to the shaft. i've found them to often have runout when used out of the package. you may have to chuck them up and re-face the seat to make them run straight. The Octura collets don't have this problem.

gh

Last edited by a moderator:
Also if using the AM collets be sure to check for seat face perpendicular to the shaft. i've found them to often have runout when used out of the package. you may have to chuck them up and re-face the seat to make them run straight. The Octura collets don't have this problem.

gh
very true! Mr. Duggan pointed this out to me. And it is true. I have since started using Octura collets and havnt looked back.

Ok guys great info and good to know.I only have a couple nitro boats left and am trying to cheap out on buying parts as I have lots now that i may be getting rid off.It's a good theory but if it comes back to bite me then that will suck.I may look over the octura I have tonight to see if it something I can use.

You guys are making me have second thoughts.

I will need to check the thread size and see if the shoulder on the seat face will fit in the flywheel and if it will fit in the area i have between the end of the crank and the radio box.I don't want to have to remove the engine to get the outer part of the collet off if necessary if ya know what I mean....

Thanks guys.

Terry

What would be the Octura PN for as short a coupler as possible to fit a 7 port NR ?

And would it have a shoulder on it to fit in the FW or be flat and just butt on the FW

to the best of my knowledge, there is only one length of collet. I will search here and get you a link. Tim Jones stocks them.

*edit* http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/octura-flex-collet-ocfhkb-51855260.htm

And it should fit in your NR flywheel no problem. I do have to trim the brass flywheel piece on my GO's, but I think Nova uses a shorter style (dont know the correct name for this piece, but the brass piece the slips on the crank before the flywheel)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well after all that i had a new octura collet in my spare parts and i had to take the motor out to get it on i do have enough room to get the cable in and out when required and unlike the AM collet when you pull the cable out ,it is not tugging on the insert because there is no insert.I like the pilot idea fitting directly into the flywheel keeping everything lined up.It is a tighter fit but i think It will be fine.

Thanks guys over and out..

Terry

Ahh Terry, you will never look back. I LOVE the octura collets. the next best thing is square drive......or so I hear.

Latest posts

Back