Building Jones canoes

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:wacko: :wacko: OK, I'm fine tuning a foam plug from Dow Highload 40. First should I cut the cowl section off before I put on a layer of epoxy or cut, epoxy and glass the pieces seperate. Also whats the next steps, ie. spot putty and primer. What a trip!!!!! :D B) B)
Is there an advantage to using White or Gray Duratec Surfacing primer for spotting imperfections in the plug???? B) B)
hmmm bout ready for a coat of paint eh :D Just make the plug as nice and you want the part.....
Well it's been 5 months. 1st I'll never use foam again for a full size plug, balsa next time. What a PITA. Well on a better note, shot some primer this weekend on plug, needs more filling and wet sanding. Then on to making the molds, all new to me. Thanks again everyone for all the help. B) B)

Nice work Ray! I am going to need you to email me a tutorial on mold making when you get it all figured out!

Ray,I'll need to make a sport 20 cowl in awhile. Any tips........ all would be appricated.I was going to just use foam.

Any tips would be great

Ed

WOW, nice work Ray!! Make a good set of molds, might have to get you to make me one. B)
Make you one, you have enough boats. :lol: Matter of fact, hows that DPS scale boat coming along that you picked up at the Atlanta Spring Nats? :unsure:
Well, it's a little tough to build it when I still don't have all the pieces...... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, nice work Ray!! Make a good set of molds, might have to get you to make me one. B)
Make you one, you have enough boats. :lol: Matter of fact, hows that DPS scale boat coming along that you picked up at the Atlanta Spring Nats? :unsure:
Well, it's a little tough to build it when I still don't have all the pieces...... :(
Seriously? Still waiting on the cowl and wings? I am surprised that Doug doesn't have spares for his own boat he could send. Com'on Doug let's get him the parts so we can see another Ferrette build and another DPS hull hit the water! :)

WOW, nice work Ray!! Make a good set of molds, might have to get you to make me one.
cool.gif
Well only been about 6 months, I finished the molds. They need to be cleaned and polished, not bad for my first shot at a 1 off, definitely a learning experience. The cowl and mid section will have removable end caps when making parts.

Hey Ray,

Nice job! We'll have to compare notes on mould making when were at the next race. Are you going to be vacuum bagging the parts or just straight lay up?

Dave

Thanks Davy, straight layup on the first one, see how it turns out and season the mold. If I can swing the Cha Ching for a vac system, would love to bag and add carbon fiber for the one on the boat.
cool.gif
cool.gif

Thanks Davy, straight layup on the first one, see how it turns out and season the mold. If I can swing the Cha Ching for a vac system, would love to bag and add carbon fiber for the one on the boat.
cool.gif
cool.gif
hey ray, let me know if you need something vac/bagged.my friend has the machine. he makes c/f parts for all kinds of modeling stuff.he is in PA. mikie.917-751-7002. :)

cool.gif
cool.gif

Hey Ray,

I just picked up a used vac pump from a local composite store. They get them in every once in a while. This one is rotary vane and does not need oil, does not need venting to outside like the oil pumps. If you want, I could let them know that I would be interested if they get another one. Really good deal. Let me know.

Dave

Ray,

You did a fine job on your molds. Now get to work and polish them up and start makin parts. Did you use the Adtech resins?

Joe, thanks for all your help. I used the Adtech resin, should make some nice parts, it wets out the cloth real nice. I know it's only cosmetic, but it was hard to keep the tooling compound smooth for the last layers of cloth.
cool.gif
cool.gif

Joe, thanks for all your help. I used the Adtech resin, should make some nice parts, it wets out the cloth real nice. I know it's only cosmetic, but it was hard to keep the tooling compound smooth for the last layers of cloth.
cool.gif
cool.gif
Good job Hammer

When I made the molds I brushed on the Partall Film #10, I'd like to spray it for making the parts. My problem is on a test piece I got cobwebs flying all over the shop, looked like Holloween. :wacko: Some info sheets say spay at 22psi, some say 90psi. I'm using a Badger Model 400 touch up spray gun. Any ideas, HELP :unsure: ==={}

When I made the molds I brushed on the Partall Film #10, I'd like to spray it for making the parts. My problem is on a test piece I got cobwebs flying all over the shop, looked like Holloween. :wacko: Some info sheets say spay at 22psi, some say 90psi. I'm using a Badger Model 400 touch up spray gun. Any ideas, HELP :unsure: ==={}
ah , yes, cobwebs, i remember painting cars (custom) and no one could figure out how it was done!! :ph34r: ;)

gun MIGHT be too small.try turning pattern down and lower air pressure.

i have sprayed it using a regular siphon feed gun.

turn the pattern down to almost a dot, not open wide (fan mode)

22 30 lbs pressure.

might have to play with this as all guns and pressures vary x hose sizes and other variables.

dont try and put on all in one coat, let tack and 2nd coat it.

ah , yes, cobwebs, i remember painting cars (custom) and no one could figure out how it was done!! :ph34r: ;)

22 30 lbs pressure.

might have to play with this as all guns and pressures vary x hose sizes and other variables.

Well tried everything, you don't realize it for a few min. but need a feather duster for the shop, looks like the haunted shop. Everything I read says don't thin it, but what about adding some alcohol??? :wacko:

22 30 lbs pressure.

Well tried everything, you don't realize it for a few min. but need a feather duster for the shop, looks like the haunted shop. Everything I read says don't thin it, but what about adding some alcohol??? :wacko:

Ray,

Hey man here is what you need............Trust me on this........Use Fibre Glast #13 pva release film here is the link and spray @70 psi and leave it dry over night spray 2 layers leave first layer for 4-5 min then spray next layer there is a reason for this if you need anymore info call me...........................................that stuff your trying to use i wrote junk on the bottle and never went back..........................Bob here is link- http://www.fibreglast.com/product/PVA_Release_Film_13/Mold_Releases

Latest posts

Back