Building Jones canoes

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hammer.

Mikes right work area looks tooooo clean :p I always seem to wind with the strut at one inch at the rear and 7/8 in the front. I like a pound and a half at the strut.

Great info here. Some top builders. Great posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gaday Guys

RAY Mate your build looks great Buddy.

:blink: As for the MATHS :blink: I struggle to count after 11 :p (10 toe's,10 finger's, 1 Prawn or Shrimp as you guys call them.

Brad

Hammer.
Mikes right work area looks tooooo clean :p I always seem to wind with the strut at one inch at the rear and 7/8 in the front. I like a pound and a half at the strut.

Great info here. Some top builders. Great posting.
Bob, The pound and 1/2 works on some hull . But will not work with other hulls and Prop combos.This is a big gray area. But it is easy to add weight,hard to take away Doug

Started working on the center section plug. Any recommended literature on glass mold making? B) B)
Are you going to make a resin mold or a plaster cast mold?

Try this Ray.

http://www.cstsales.com/tutorials.html

I have ordered a bunch of stuff from this place. It is pretty good. The tutorial is a start. Reading through Terry Keeley's photo album is pretty informative as well.

Cheers,

Kev
Mike, which would hold up better for a few cast. Kevin, Thanks for the info. B) B)

Been awful quiet for the last 3 weeks on this. So are ya done yet?? :p
Nah i bugged him the other day and he said he needed to do some real work for a change or some change i forget. Baldy how many do you plan to pull 3-4? or more? After about 4 you will spend more time repairing your mold as it will start to come apart.......with Plaster cast

Been awful quiet for the last 3 weeks on this. So are ya done yet?? :p
Nah i bugged him the other day and he said he needed to do some real work for a change or some change i forget. Baldy how many do you plan to pull 3-4? or more? After about 4 you will spend more time repairing your mold as it will start to come apart.......with Plaster cast
Shaping and getting the center section plug right. New learning experience for me, like I told Mike, I should not have skipped so many classes in school. Mold will be for a one off, but will still make out of epoxy glass. Baby steps right now. :D B) B)

:wacko: :wacko: OK, I'm fine tuning a foam plug from Dow Highload 40. First should I cut the cowl section off before I put on a layer of epoxy or cut, epoxy and glass the pieces seperate. Also whats the next steps, ie. spot putty and primer. What a trip!!!!! :D B) B)

:wacko: :wacko: OK, I'm fine tuning a foam plug from Dow Highload 40. First should I cut the cowl section off before I put on a layer of epoxy or cut, epoxy and glass the pieces seperate. Also whats the next steps, ie. spot putty and primer. What a trip!!!!! :D B) B)
Is there an advantage to using White or Gray Duratec Surfacing primer for spotting imperfections in the plug???? B) B)

Is there an advantage to using White or Gray Duratec Surfacing primer for spotting imperfections in the plug???? B) B)
hmmm bout ready for a coat of paint eh :D Just make the plug as nice and you want the part.....

Ray,

I have molds made out of West Systems. I currently laying up a custom radio box for my two wing hulls using all West Systems. The only difference is that you need to let the first layer of epoxy get tacky to act like a surface coat. The applying another layer of epoxy and start laying up fiberglass. For a mold start with thin layers of glass like 0.75 oz layers and move towards 6 or 8 oz. cloth. For a plug work it in reverse working heavy cloth to light the apply the last surface coat with a little cabosil to make it thick and will allow you to sand to glass overlaps smooth.

If you have any other questions e-mail me. I look forward to meeting you in Hotlanta.

Ray,
I have molds made out of West Systems. I currently laying up a custom radio box for my two wing hulls using all West Systems. The only difference is that you need to let the first layer of epoxy get tacky to act like a surface coat. The applying another layer of epoxy and start laying up fiberglass. For a mold start with thin layers of glass like 0.75 oz layers and move towards 6 or 8 oz. cloth. For a plug work it in reverse working heavy cloth to light the apply the last surface coat with a little cabosil to make it thick and will allow you to sand to glass overlaps smooth.

If you have any other questions e-mail me. I look forward to meeting you in Hotlanta.
Thanks for the tips Bert, all you scale guys have been a big help. B) Scale racing in Hotlanta gonna be great this year, lotta big dogs coming off the porch. :D :D B) B)

Ray,

Thanks for the tips Bert, all you scale guys have been a big help. B) Scale racing in Hotlanta gonna be great this year, lotta big dogs coming off the porch. :D :D B) B)
Everbody loves Raymond................ YO DADDY give us some news

Ray,

Got to hear one of my new engine lite off tonight in the Formula with some freash nitro. :rolleyes: My props will be back fron Heat treat Friday and IT'S Off with the Shock Coller and Leash. TOO THE POND I SAY!!! from 6 months of wait on that leash!!! :p Great Job Ray on a great looking scale boat build and I am counting the days to Hot Atlanta!!!

Last edited:
Ray,

Had to take a time out on the scale and build a gas Whip for a bud. ;) Will be finished in a couple of days. :rolleyes: Now I have to blow the dust off my boats for Atlanta and find time to test. :eek: Wow race is two weeks away. :D :D After atlanta back to the plug. B) B)

Back