Building Jones canoes

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Sametz

Supporting Member
Scale guru's, looking from the rear should sponson be drawing #1 or #2. Also if #2 should lip stop before the transom and how much. Merry Christmas Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Scale guru's, looking from the rear should sponson be drawing #1 or #2. Also if #2 should lip stop before the transom and how much. Merry Christmas Ray
The true canoes, both for real boats and the ones Ron Jones made for my scale boat are like #1, no lip.

The bottom of the Non-Trips should have a flat but not a lip. Also that hull is going to have rear shoes that will be 1/8 to 1/4 above the prop line. Everybody have a Great Holiday and remember the reason for the season !!! Doug DPS Racing

Last edited:
The bottom of the Non-Trips should have a flat but not a lip. Also that hull is going to have rear shoes that will be 1/8 to 1/4 above the prop line. Everybody have a Great Holiday and remember the reason for the season !!! Doug DPS Racing
Doug, when you says rear shoes, are those the flaps that come off the rear wing???? B) B)

Doug, when you says rear shoes, are those the flaps that come off the rear wing???? B) B)
No This is a pic of one of my Bud T4 Gen 3 Hulls The rear shoes are what are attached to the rear of the canoes This is the style that the T4 uses. You will need to find a pic showing the style of the hull you are building Depth and size and angles are big T

Last edited:
Another question about rudder placement? This is a tracing sketch from Newton plans. Braces for vertical wings are mounted center of transom. Don't have a clear shot of real boat, but some look like it's mounted on the rear horizontal wing. Any suggestions???? B) B)

Another question about rudder placement? This is a tracing sketch from Newton plans. Braces for vertical wings are mounted center of transom. Don't have a clear shot of real boat, but some look like it's mounted on the rear horizontal wing. Any suggestions???? B) B)
Rudder is mounted to the Center section (Main Body) of the hull not the rear wings forming the hulls center. I would mount the rudder to the left side and would off set the strut 1/4 to the left of center as will Doug Shepherd DPS Racing.

Last edited:
"Rudder is mounted to the Center section (Main Body) of the hull not the rear wings forming the hulls center. I would mount the rudder to the left side and would off set the strut 1/4 to the left of center as well."

True for the Bud, but not for MHR 9031. The stern configuration of the 9031 is considerably different, and does mount in the starboard rear wing. I hope to have posted stern views of the Bud T-4 and the Circus . CHEERS !!! Bob Johnson

Another question, need to install blocking for the turn fin. This is tracing of the right sponson transom. Where should I locate the fin in reference to # 1 thru 3. Thanks B) B)

Next question, will this set of RCboat Co. wings be accurate(pic 2) for use in (pic 1) B) B)
They will work just fine.Hows the centre coming along.HEHE..P.S I'm just building the sponsons aswell for the 91 Circus though Shann
Shann, center section :blink: My thing is wood, not a glass man. It's gonna be a learning experience. One foot in front of the other. :lol: :lol: Mikey, I hear you on those canoes, but I got that Italian disease "FUNDSALOW" :lol: :lol:

Next question, will this set of RCboat Co. wings be accurate(pic 2) for use in (pic 1) B) B)
They will work just fine.Hows the centre coming along.HEHE..P.S I'm just building the sponsons aswell for the 91 Circus though Shann
Shann, center section :blink: My thing is wood, not a glass man. It's gonna be a learning experience. One foot in front of the other. :lol: :lol: Mikey, I hear you on those canoes, but I got that Italian disease "FUNDSALOW" :lol: :lol:
could be why your hair is falling out? Keep working i want to see this babe in Lanta. May bring the Excide need to knock Harvey off the throne...

Another question, figured I'd ask this here instead of " How scale is scale". The pic of plans shows the transom almost flush with end of canoes. The real boat shows the transom mid wing. Question, what is scale and what would you do?????

Another question, figured I'd ask this here instead of " How scale is scale". The pic of plans shows the transom almost flush with end of canoes. The real boat shows the transom mid wing. Question, what is scale and what would you do?????
Ray,

Send me your e-mail, I have some other pictures for you (maybe I already sent them ??)

It looks like the flat of the transom is about mid vert wing, its the "diving platforms" that extend further to the rear.

Are you building that hull as a 3-wing (original) or the later 2 wing ?

After looking at some pictures, I "think" that hull and paint scheme only ran as the 3-wing, it dosent appear to change until it becomes the Truck Gear sponsor.

#9031 - 3 wing as canard, mid wing, rear wing vs 2 wing like the Bud and T-Plus, Circus #90102.5.

Back