boat clubs in mi

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark holton jr

does anyone know of anyboat clubs in mi around lansing, grandrapids or battlecreek if you do could i get some contact info thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark,

There's a group of us that have a Fun Run in K-Zoo every year. Normally it's around the end of May, begining of June. Keep an eye out for a K-Zoo Fun Run thread that will most likely start in a couple of months.

Kevin Sheren has the Lansing MBC and held their first race late this year in Potterville, right off I-69. I don't know if he's going to hold a nitro race next season but the gas race went over quite well considering the cold day that it was.

Mark and I have to decide what the date of this years Fun Run here in Kalamazoo. Right now I'm worried that this mild winter that we're having is going to make the weeds worse in the lake this year. If it looks like it's going to be a problem, I might have to look for an alternative site. Right now, the tentative date is May 19th but don't hold me to it yet.

There used to be a club here in town, Grand Rapids and BC had one at one time also. We'd love to see one going again on this side of the state.

Hey Ron,

Are small aluminum power boats (full scale) allowed in the Kzoo Fun Run lake?

If so,and there's a launch ramp,there's a great chance I can get down there earlier in the week and do some weed trimin.

A really sharp prop on a 15 Merc should do the trick.

What do ya think?

It also might be a good idea to watch out for the Flint record run dates too.

I, for one would like to attend both. (if possable)

And Mark Jr,

Try'n plan on comming.

It's a really neat small informal get together.

Great people,and gauranteed to have a good time.

Also,there's plenty of experience there if you need help on anything.

Walt, there is a boat launch ramp further east of where we run past the gazebo that sits in the middle of the lake but it's really bad. I wouldn't try backing in a boat without 4WD. I usually try to set up the course around the weed bed where we run, that's why I tell people to try to stay outside the buoys.

Seeing how the park is city owned, they do have a full-time crew that works there during the week. They might have a problem with someone going out there and doing what should be their job.

I'll have to check with the Parks and Recreation Dept. also to see if the park is free that weekend as they do have other activities there like big dog walks for charity and it's part of a marathon course.

Yes, you can bring pets as long as they're leashed for new attendees. No booze though.

I do have 2 alternative ponds though but don't like to use them for an event, the toxic pond off the Kalamazoo River and Cooper Park in Comstock where the SSAMA used to hold the Great Lakes Ship Regatta but there is a neighbor that complains about the noise. River Oaks Park just east of that is on the river also but charges admission to get in and it's the home of the Kalamazoo Thunderbirds R/C plane club.

Hopefully I can make it this year. It seems like the last two times I have missed out do to one of my kids being sick. So once a date is set let all of us know and I will make sure to get it on the calander before anything else makes it there.

Maybe I can make it this year again myself. It was a good time a couple of years ago.

Thanks in advance Ron for doing all the leg work.

Now if we can hear from some more of the GR guys. I haven't seen Wade or Steve in here in a long time.

Sorry to get OT in here. We'll get out own thread going once Mark and I can get together.

Look up Ron :lol: :lol:

I would like to see a club in GR. It would be nice to have a place to run that is close to home and where I can find some help if needed. I always have my eyes out for a place to run.

BTW I am still around. When I switched jobs a while back I lost internet connection except for at lunch. With two kids running around at home it is hard to find time there as well. I do browse a little every day while I am here at work, just not always logged in.

Ron,

If need be, certain my Jeep can launch a boat. If I can't get it off the ramp, guess the ole winch will have to be used. :rolleyes:

Steve,

Good to see ya around here..

well for you gr guys iv got a couple places that im cheking on now to run over here in lakeodessa we have some really good sized privite lakes and pounds around here il keep you guys posted

Mark,

If that is possible, we can always change where the Fun Run is held. The weeds can be a PITA if they are over grown too much. We've had people from all over the mid-west showing up just to have a day of fun & sun.. Think this would be the 5th annual F/R..

well there is a gravepit over here that the weeds should not bother in it is 10 acers and 40 foot deep (dont fall in) lol

Sorry Steve, I need to look left more often! :rolleyes:

It's too bad that Tony Jacuzzi lost the persons name that had the park with the pond that he wanted to use for R/C bost racing up around your neck of the woods. I can understand that as I have a mess of paperwork around my computer with notes galore on them.

I'll see how the weed problem is before putting in for a regatta permit to the DNR.

Gravel pits tend to be a problem as a lot of trhem won't let peoplle on the property, much less running boats in their ponds. I've got one about a 1/2 mile from my house that I'd love to use but they've got it surrounded by fencing. We checked into another one in GR but that didn't pan out either.

I ahve also called one of the gravel pit places around here with the same answer. Sorry we won't allow anyone in. I have a good idea of where the one off the rogue river is but not sure what it is like, size or anything. That is the one you are talking about right?

well i have known the guy that owns half of it for a long time and he is in good with the owner of the other half so it might work out betwen the two halfs there are 6 pounds and a samll lake

Mark, if things don't pan out down here I'll let you know ASAP. A separate Fun Run in Lake Odessa would be cool too as we've traveled before. A few years back, some of us made a drive to Oregon, Ohio, east of Toledo to a run there.

Back