New member from Birmingham, Michigan.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I am new here and to RC Boats. I have raced RC cars for quite a while. My mom's neighbor in the late 80's had a nitro Outrigger he would run often, showed me a lot. Actually took me to a race in Oxford, MI way back then. I still remember that. Anyways I want to get into racing and building boats. I'll do lots of reading here. Also Join IMPBA.

Thanks Everyone.

Welcome aboard, Greg!
You came to the right place... Sounds like you got the right attitude and that's a great way to start!
There's a lot that can be learned from this site. I would suggest you go to a race once it warms back up, as there is so much to learn that way. Answers to questions you didn't even know you had!
Oxford! Now you're showing your age. That was my first exposure to R/C boats!

Ken

Thanks Ken. I will check out a few club races in the spring. One thing I meant to ask is I would prefer to race electric, and rigger if there are enough people to show. Although I'll race whatever there is, nitro, etc. I'm willing to travel 2 to 2-1/2 hours to race. I checked the local clubs sites, it's hard to figure out what they do and don't run. Does anyone in the area know if electric is available to race?

Well, Greg.
Oakland Wolverines Model Boat Club-is pretty much Oakland county with a smattering of people out further.
Off hand I can't think of anyone running electric... Most of us are hydro nuts. Be it scale, Sport Hydros or Riggers. Gas Hydros are gaining. Any Monos of any sorts, a few.
Saginaw Bay Model boat club-again people around that area but, not limited to.. Nitro Scale Sport Hydros Riggers and, nitro Mono's. Gas, I think everything except tunnels. Electric is gaining a hold!!
Another club north. Don't know their club name. Haven't had any contact with personally. Hear they are mostly electric...
There is, or was, a couple more clubs closer to you. Transom Twisters. The other one,.. MAN, can't think of their name! Little to no club participation. One thing I want to inject here... Most clubs will let you run pretty much any boat in practice and club races. You may end up running with different types of boats unless there are three or more of you. And, the guy next to you may be waiting to try that same type of boat. Just holding off till they had another buddy to run with! Like most clubs since Covid, people are just not going out for whatever reason... Too bad, since the guys racing are usually friendly and happy to help out and answer questions. Hey... they all put up with ME!! That should tell you a lot right there!!!

Ken

Gregg another club you can look into is Great Lakes Model Boat Club. We run Tuesdays at the Ford Field Central Park 23 mile and Vandyke in Shelby Twp. Were a more casual running club mixed with FE, Nitro and Gas. There are a fair amount of Oakland Wolverines that run with us as well. MMEU FE group shares the pond on others days. Between both groups we'll keep your addiction going..........View from the drivers stand.
Rich

Attachments

• gate3.jpg
    gate3.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 0
Im pretty new too and started with electric. I cant recommend enough to start with gas, actually. because the fuel is easily sourced and costs $5-10 a month. all the coolness of nitro with a way lower cost of entry.

down here in cincinnati (same IMPBA district as you, district 2) a local hobby store has this for sale for $225. has a 11cc nitro engine. Im sure they would ship it to you.

403411762_6260319784069345_480390844744974698_n (1).jpg

Last edited:
That is reasonable for everything. Get there phone number or hobby shop name on here. One of us will nab it.

Back