Boat Bottom

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phil got lucky as he didn't hit the rip-rap along the backside of the Celina pond! It's one of those sites where you really want to make sure that your radio system is working properly! I've been there twice, at the `07 and `11 IMPBA Gas Nat's and haven't seen a boat hit the busted up cement.

Remember to sand lengthwise, not side-to-side. Nobody has brought up the use of a graphite powder epoxy mix yet.

Don't use a carnauba-based wax as it will ball up on the bottom doing more harm than good. I only wax non-wetted surfaces.

Anthony.. it does not matter.. From what I remember that record I mentioned was set using a circular pattern..

I had watched a special on sharks and they say the reason why they are so fast is because of they way the scales are that they have an air pocket at the trailing edge that allows the water to brake the surface tension.

Brad

I seem to remember reading something in the past about swimmer using full body suits with some sort of pattern on them to make them go faster. Might have to look it up.

Sharkskin-inspired swimsuits received a lot of media attention during the 2008 Summer Olympics when the spotlight was shining on Michael Phelps.

Seen under an electron microscope, sharkskin is made up of countless overlapping scales called dermal denticles (or "little skin teeth"). The denticles have grooves running down their length in alignment with water flow. These grooves disrupt the formation of eddies, or turbulent swirls of slower water, making the water pass by faster. The rough shape also discourages parasitic growth such as algae and barnacles.

Scientists have been able to replicate dermal denticles in swimsuits (which are now banned in major competition) and the bottom of boats. When cargo ships can squeeze out even a single percent in efficiency, they burn less bunker oil and don't require cleaning chemicals for their hulls.

Has anyone tried using graphite paint or paper on their bottoms. The Bud hydros used this back in the day and many other classes of hydros soon followed suit. I have a local guy who uses it on his kneelers and his 5 liter hydro with a lot of wins with both. Ask Dick Tyndall, Scott Liddycoat, Mike Menter jr., or Dick Loeb these guys race full size hydros and would have direct experience in the matter. I use it on my sport 40 and yes it's a difference maker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maus Motorsports used to sell it years ago but there has to be others that have it. A graphite powder can be mixed with epoxy.

Anthony, it must be that you get more aeration or less stiction (yes, it's a real word) by sanding from front-to-rear. How it rates against side-to-side or in a circular motion, I don't know.

I've got some Teflon tape that I've been wanting to try. It's not cheap at almost $63.00 a roll. I gave a roll to Don Ferrette to try but don't know if he ever did give it a shot.

We used Crown Dry Graphite Lubricant on all wetted surfaces of our Dragboats . we called it speed coat
default_smile.png
flatbottoms or hydros

There are MANY different ways to prep running surfaces. what's best for your hull is something that can only be determined by testing, testing, & then testing some more. on MY .21 boats, a 400 to 600 wet sanded surface seems best. the only definitive statement i can make is "EVERY boat i have owned, regardless of size or power (even sailboats), for the last 50 some years has run faster, realized better fuel economy & rode/ handled better with bottom prep. virtually anything is better than a smooth shiny gel coat or painted surface.

I also sometimes just stick flower patterned shelf paper to the bottoms of my boats... makes them so ugly even the water doesn't want to touch it.

D

Latest posts

Back