Blazer Lauterbach Build Thread

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little advice for everyone,, look at your rudder blade pick up holes and slot....

Nitro or gas setups...makes no difference.

I take the time to hand work every rudder blade hole with a small round and oval diamond file to insure a straight shot into the pickup port..
Especially the leading edge..it just takes a tiny bit of the aluminum to be misshapen the wrong way in this area to cause the water to bypass the hole while running...
( Thank you Mr. Bernoulli )

You can prove this effect by making a high speed pass with a touch of left trim as the boat goes by..
You will see the water outlet stream come and go as you slightly turn the wheel back and forth off of center. Some rudders are so bad, they won't feed water at all with any amount of left rudder. ( I also have a way to correct this, but I will need to take a picture first.)

Secondly,, make darn sure there are no left over flakes or peels of aluminum inside the blade and nipples from when they were machined. I have found plenty of machining chips and trash inside brand new parts..

Every.. and I do mean every, fitting needs to be inspected and touched up on a new build... rudder to overboard fitting, because the one you fail to check, will be the one with a chip or trash in it !! Guaranteed !!

Hope this helps guys !
All really good advice Frank!

Congratulations Rich. I have been off forum for some time, but good to see you have a running boat now. And the damage of not cooling could have been much worse, so you have been lucky!

Congratulations Rich. I have been off forum for some time, but good to see you have a running boat now. And the damage of not cooling could have been much worse, so you have been lucky!
Thanks, yeah nothing wrong with the boat, just the motor. I was new to gas boats last year and since I had bought a modified motor where the fittings were drilled out, I never even realized that a stock motor came the way that it does. So I’ve learned alot about things in the cooling system that are restrictive. I believe the new motor will fare better (once I drill out those fittings of course). As it was it was just never cooling right from the get go.

Well, new motor is all bolted up and ready to go. Additional venting is added, water line diameter has been verified to be 1/8 and line from rudder has been re routed to be more direct. Motor fittings are drilled out to 1/8. Rudder is drilled out to 1/8 and the pickup has be filled out to the edge of the rudder and filed out for clear passage. I really want to take both boats tomorrow but just can’t do it in a Honda Accord. I recognize the need for a truck but I just can’t bring myself to pay these ridiculous prices for a used truck. If people would quit spending 20k on 12 year old trucks with rust and 150k plus miles, they might become reasonable again. Me, I just can’t justify it…

I'll never buy a new vehicle again. outrageous prices, and they just don't last...
As long as pump gas and diesel are still available, I can keep fixing the ones that I have now..
1968 C10, 1979 Chevy Luv w/sbc., and '07
CTD 4x4 dually.

Rich, will your Honda pull a small light weight trailer? Just a thought..

I'll never buy a new vehicle again. outrageous prices, and they just don't last...
As long as pump gas and diesel are still available, I can keep fixing the ones that I have now..
1968 C10, 1979 Chevy Luv w/sbc., and '07
CTD 4x4 dually.

Rich, will your Honda pull a small light weight trailer? Just a thought..
Wow a LUV truck. I remember those commercials being in all the time. And a 68 C10? Sweet! As far as pulling a trailer, I never gave that much thought. But I don’t know why not.

Yup, this is my second Luv truck I have owned...First one many years ago was a '74
that I built with a radical sbc,, very fast!!

( I ended up trading it to a boat dealership when I purchased a real boat.. I took the salesman for a ride in it and he just had to have it !! )

The one I have now is not as radical, but still plenty stout,, 350 w/ aluminum heads and roller cam.
They are fun trucks to drive!!

Some video from yesterday‘s trip to the lake. The Lauterbach had registered 58 mph earlier in the day trying a COCR TH-1 -5. It was starting to get kind of light and I didn’t want to have another blow over so I switched to a PWW prop and tamed it a tad. It still registered 56 mph on the run you see here. I know i can probably get 60 or a little more with a different prop but I’m liking the handling with the PWW prop.
View attachment IMG_0797.MOV

Back