ML Boatworks GP Series Sport Hydros, Version 2 build threads

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
Well, for those that have not seen, or have seen and wanted more info on the new Version 2 GP sport hydro updates, I am going to do a mini build thread hear and mainly just try and show the changes that were made to this hull.

Since I started on the sponsons for a GP310 and GP400 for some customers, I will start today by showing the change in width of the teardrops behind the sponson heals. Since I felt the tear drops could add to some blow off potential due to creating a possible airplane wing effect once a thresh hold of speed is reached, I decided to cut the width of these down around 60% of their original width. This should reduce that possible issue. I really love the visual look the tear drops give the hull, so I could not just rid of them! This narrowing also gives builders more room to install and tighten down their turn fin bracket...which was a comment a few builders shared with me..so two problems were hammered out with this alone!

While there have not been solidly stated issues from anyone running these hulls, we did find while testing a 1/8th scale hydroplane with similar design, the U-21 Eliminator, which actually has tear drops that were probably 4 times wider than any of the GP series hulls, the U-21 would snap off the water around 75mph. This was a constant problem, and I just figured it was a safe bet to reduce the potential, especially if these hulls are to attempt SAW records. Heat trim hulls will probably never experience this issue. The original GP400 I tested in heat trim as a 6s FE hull was running around 68mph and didn't have any issues.

Once I begin building the center sections, I will share the other major change in the V2 hull. Until then keep on the lookout! Here are the sponson pics with the new teardrop:

20130807_072410_zps6b190241.jpg

20130807_072403_zps489b7235.jpg

For comparisons sake, here is the original GP310 sponson teardrop:

DSCF3449.jpg

And the hull to the right is a GP400, the other two are the GP265 and GP335. You can see here the width change in the GP400 teardrops:

IMGP4317_zps3e967783.jpg

Its easy to sit back and feel comfortable with a design, that is for sure. No hull is perfect, which is why we constantly have to tweak things to make them better as time passes. I have a very hard time leaving things alone if I know there is an upgrade that can be done with only 30 minutes of time. Not passing these type of updates to my customers is doing them wrong. I learn something new every day and constantly want to pass that on through the products I offer. Heck, the tunnel boat lineup just went through a total update, and now the GP series!

it's also easy to go backwards.. not all of my changes have been for the better,.. sometimes it's good to leave a good alone..

The GSX480 gas sport hydro? I am about 70% into the design, and as these tunnel designs finish up, I am going to finish up the gas sport design. I am taking my time with that design as I want it to be top notch...nothing less will do, especially in a class with that many potential people. I need it to come out strong! Same with thunderboat when I release one....Mike

hey mike, great model you made!

can you pm me the price of shipping the model in the middle to the netherlands?

greetings, jan

Jan when you're going to order we maybe could make it a shared order .(Jan als je gaat bestellen misschien kunnen we er dan een gecombineerde order van maken .Ik wil ook nog wel wat bij Mike bestellen namelijk)

Hey guys, didnt even see these kit requests!! Let me get on the computer tomorrow morn and gather some prices. Thanks, Mike

It is with sad news that I am letting everyone know that as soon as I can, I am going to delete my intlwaters account tonight. I appreciate all of your support over the years, but I have got to get away from intlwaters. I will continue with ML Boatworks, but new designs are being halted. I have been taking on a lot of new designs, and overdoing it. I think mentally, it has me frustrated, it has me lashing out at things, and unfortunately, intlwaters has been the hotbed for that. I have to put a stop to this as things are not fun like they were. I am partly to blame, and I take that responsibility. For that, to my friends who have watched some of the lashing out, I apologize. The new website will be where you will find my current offerings...hopefully mid October, and I have enjoyed OSE since joining, so I am going to do things there. If you need a kit, do not hesitate to email me at [email protected], or visit the website, and as always, I enjoy the phone conversations. I am still available for help, weather its with one of my kits or not..just like its always been. Thanks again to my IW friends, and customers. Take care. Mike Luszcz

Al, sorry I did not see your post. Please email me at the above email address so I can get you a kit if you still need it. Thank you.

I as many others do appreciate all you have done for this hobby and continue to due. Sorry to see you go Mike.

TL

Mike,

Sorry to see you go. Thanks for the scale and sport hydro kits and all you do to support RC model boating. Especially the 1/8th scale laser boat kits.

I finally got the GP-400 straighten out after I had Walt build me a custom single tank. Now I am working out the bugs in the 45 VAC set-up.

Good Luck in the future.

Bert Dygert

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back