Blazer Lauterbach Build Thread

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting the build and the final result of it running. You did a great job on your Lauterbach. Just a note, after looking at the running pictures it is running perfect. Do not loosen it up any, unless you want to replace the windshield. You are not going to race it, just admire it.

Thanks for posting the build and the final result of it running. You did a great job on your Lauterbach. Just a note, after looking at the running pictures it is running perfect. Do not loosen it up any, unless you want to replace the windshield. You are not going to race it, just admire it.
Thank you Bob, it was really a pleasure to build. You guys design excellent boats and I appreciated your support throughout, both through email, and the deliveries of kits, cowls, etc… at the lake. I am going to build another one of these that is a little less of a showpiece (but still nice, you know me 😂) and I’ll probably do some racing with that one , when and if I decide to race again.

This is Jamie’s ‘64 Rolls Silver Cloud along with another glamour shot of the boat. I’ll have some more pics and videos as time progresses and especially after Mario grabs some action shots with his camera.
62F9E7CC-DFF7-40E3-826F-EEAD16E872D6.jpeg075DFC24-A8F8-4A15-BE4C-6F48D5CAD96D.jpeg4F493C7A-DE7D-423F-B02C-96384E098B8B.jpeg34BCBE11-DB5D-41D0-8324-93C7D8ABC83D.jpegBEA2A029-C8A5-4833-B224-42EC22351695.jpeg410520EF-CD7C-4E16-A7BE-2687067FA63A.jpeg2657030C-34DB-4D3D-85B2-58F5C6C77066.jpeg888F8CD4-3A72-40E4-8AE8-A140509B6DF2.jpeg

Well, I will say this. One of the fundamental things you should ALWAYS do first thing is to check if sufficient water is coming out. In the excitement of it all, I pretty much disregarded this rule. I looked and saw something but it wasn’t enough. It was only coming out intermittently. When I went to check the following week, it was not coming out when passing by the shore, the boat ran badly, and was overly hot. That was a week ago Sunday. I took the cylinder off and it didn’t look good. After sending off the pics to a club member, it was confirmed that the top end was shot. Ugh! So, new motor ordered and I will rebuild this one at some point for a backup. I have drilled out my rudder to 1/8, checked all fittings and drilled out everything that was not 1/8. The fittings on the water cooling ring are the main culprit I think. I’m also making a more direct connection to the head from the rudder. Before, it curved back to the motor. Lastly, since the heat was making my veneer on the hatch lift over the header and the fake zoomies were melting , I opened up some vents and covered them with these louvers I got from Esprit Tech. I know the vents aren’t supposed to be added forward of the sponson transoms, but this boat isn’t being raced. Hopefully with the cooling mods and venting, the new motor will fare much better. I’m hoping it gets here soon. EBFEF1F1-8EEC-4CB1-8984-6F0B51208D19.jpegD46EA60D-89D2-4BC7-8A02-1A17FE91EB3C.jpeg3C114FFA-4414-4FDC-AB20-987E25A95043.jpeg90CCCD6D-AC0E-4A88-A30D-111DEF76C0AA.jpeg6CB03ED5-ACFD-4A6B-930A-08F33C3C00D5.jpegC71DA5A4-1EF7-4F76-99DA-05375D54112A.jpegABF12059-DFF9-4BCA-8081-4F6AA2DB8A78.jpeg

Grrrrrrrr Dang water ports, Ya would think they would have solved the passages issue as it is seen more than once or twice. I disassembled the engine on the carbon-fiber mono and it is burned the same way. looking at the fittings on the cooling ring were 1/2 plugged. Grrrrrrrr. Going to follow the most direct rout and 1/8 dia for all the fitting for sure. I do like the Vents. Keep Cool . . .
C

A little advice for everyone,, look at your rudder blade pick up holes and slot....

Nitro or gas setups...makes no difference.

I take the time to hand work every rudder blade hole with a small round and oval diamond file to insure a straight shot into the pickup port..
Especially the leading edge..it just takes a tiny bit of the aluminum to be misshapen the wrong way in this area to cause the water to bypass the hole while running...
( Thank you Mr. Bernoulli )

You can prove this effect by making a high speed pass with a touch of left trim as the boat goes by..
You will see the water outlet stream come and go as you slightly turn the wheel back and forth off of center. Some rudders are so bad, they won't feed water at all with any amount of left rudder. ( I also have a way to correct this, but I will need to take a picture first.)

Secondly,, make darn sure there are no left over flakes or peels of aluminum inside the blade and nipples from when they were machined. I have found plenty of machining chips and trash inside brand new parts..

Every.. and I do mean every, fitting needs to be inspected and touched up on a new build... rudder to overboard fitting, because the one you fail to check, will be the one with a chip or trash in it !! Guaranteed !!

Hope this helps guys !

Latest posts

Back