Best Friends

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best wishes for a speedy full recovery Al . My trailer is tall but not tall enough so I slide a small pool noodle up on the door opening to keep me from knocking myself out !!
Good idea. I'll give it a try.

Thanks, Al

Get well soon Al and thank you for attending our little race in Utah earlier this year!

Over the years the best friends I have ever made came through hobbies and activities other than my job. Last week at the NAMBA Nats proves my experience.

After a day of racing, I was puting all of my equipment and qear into my trailer. I banged my forehead on the trailer door, stepped back to tell the door what I thought of it, lost my footing on the trailer ramp, fell and broke my right hip. Dozens of people were there to help. Renee Piazza, Jim's wife, experienced in emergency care, was right there, asking me the proper questions. Two of the boaters were EMT personnel and they were with me making certain that I did not get moved.

When the ambulance arrived, Sue Hill hopped into the ambulance with me and made sure that all of the paper work at the hospital emergency room was handled properly. Sue stayed with me in the emergency room for more than 4 hours until the hospital decided to keep me.

The next day when I returned from surgery, my room was filled with flowers, cards, boxes of candy and other messages. For the next few days my phone was busy and visitors kept coming to see how I was doing.

My truck and tailer were at Legg Lake, the NAMBA Nats site. Not only did several people make certain that all of my gear, froms boats and radios, to tables and EZ-UPs were loaded properly and locked up. On Sunday, Lenny Blake drove my pickup and trailer all the way from Southern California to Cascade, Montana, to make certain that everything got home safely.

Sue Hill and LeAnne Blake packed up all of my items at the hotel and made sure they got back to my home.

Later, on Sunday morning, Al Waters, NAMBA President stopped by my hospital room to give me a small package everyone had chipped in to buy. It is a crated 30 year old bottle of Glen Fittich, almost impossible to even find.

When the hospital staff found out that I did not live in Southern California, they wondered who all of my visitors were. I told them that there were visiors who lived in Australia, Arizona, Colorado, and other states. One of the staff asked me, "Who are you?" I am a lucky model boater with some very good friends.

I am home now, getting ready to start Physical Therapy. The emails, letters, cards, and phone calls have not stopped.

I am as fine as can be expected. And, I am proud to be a model boater, expecially considering the wonderful people I have met through this hobby over the years.

Thank you all,

Al Hobbs

Glad to hear your doing better. I got a phone call the day you went into surgery from a friend that was out there. He told me of your bad luck. I sent you a text and a e-mail wishing you well that day and knew we would hear from when you were able. I know my local spirts store sales 30 year old Glen Fittich. I will bring one to Hobart. Get well friend.

Al:

That's two head injuries in one year......... sorry to hear about

your NAMBA accident we miss you up in the cold Canadian north.

Get well and see you soon.

Fons

Last edited by a moderator:
Al, we know you wanted to take home hardware but still.............

All kidding aside, hope your rehab goes well and you're back at the pond quickly. As for how good other boaters can be, I had several helping me out yesterday at a fun run in Sellersburg Indiana. Their help with a new NR 21 made the day a success. Too bad I had to run into Joseywales today to ruin that warm fuzzy feeling

The Doc says that I am healing well. I should be racing again in late August and September.

I'll see you all in Hobart.

Mark, I will be looking for that 30 year old bottle.....

Al Hobbs

The Doc says that I am healing well. I should be racing again in late August and September.

I'll see you all in Hobart.

Mark, I will be looking for that 30 year old bottle.....

Al Hobbs

You got it. Won't be the first time we have enjoyed a fine bottle of Scotch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back