Best FE Setup for 1/8th Scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Smith

Hello again. I'm a bit new to the FE option. I was wondering if someone could layout the best setup for an 1/8th scale? ESC, Motor, and lipos. Looking to get it under the $400 mark if possible. It seems electric is now a viable option to nitro. Thanks :)

Hello again. I'm a bit new to the FE option. I was wondering if someone could layout the best setup for an 1/8th scale? ESC, Motor, and lipos. Looking to get it under the $400 mark if possible. It seems electric is now a viable option to nitro. Thanks :)
I'm my opinion I would go with a Neu 1527 1.5Y on 10S1P 45C 5000mah Hyperion packs. But that right there with KO your $400 before you even buy the ESC. The U-7 I'm doing will be powered this way.

Hey Don,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've seen the Neu 1527 1.5Y floated around a bit. Where would be the best place to buy? I was kinda thinking it would be beyond my budget. May have to piece it out over time. Saw your Valken thread. Very nice :)

Don, I'm curious. Is there a specific reason as to why that particular motor is so popular? You're not the first one that I've seen use it in a scale boat and was wondering why

Don, I'm curious. Is there a specific reason as to why that particular motor is so popular? You're not the first one that I've seen use it in a scale boat and was wondering why
Back a few years ago when I was asked what would be an appropriate Neu motor to compete against the Pletts and Lehners people were running, the 1527/1.5Y was best balance of weight/power/price. Turned out to be a very reliable power option for the .67 nitro size boats. Works great on 8S as well, just turns a bigger prop.

Another option would be the Scorpion HK4035-800 on 8S. It makes a nitro to FE conversion motor because of it's size and the fact that works well in an open environment.

Don,

Isn't the Neu one of the legal 1/8 scale motors in IMPBA? Don't know what others are legal.

Back a few years ago when I was asked what would be an appropriate Neu motor to compete against the Pletts and Lehners people were running, the 1527/1.5Y was best balance of weight/power/price. Turned out to be a very reliable power option for the .67 nitro size boats. Works great on 8S as well, just turns a bigger prop.

Another option would be the Scorpion HK4035-800 on 8S. It makes a nitro to FE conversion motor because of it's size and the fact that works well in an open environment.

Don,

Isn't the Neu one of the legal 1/8 scale motors in IMPBA? Don't know what others are legal.

Brian,

Not sure we ever finalized the Motor Selection. If we did then Yes. The problem is The Castle or Scorpions did not exist when we discussed it years ago.

BTW: Ken if you are looking to get into anything electric above 4s then $400 won't cut it. If you want to run on any Pond without noise restrictions then Nitro or Gas won't cut it.

Hey Propeler,

Those prices seem more reasonable. I would much rather go electric if possible. I'm not a tree hugger. I just think its cleaner and more quiet and I have more places to run the boat. Plus, I spend all this time building the boat, I'd hate to stink it up with a bunch of nitromethane. That said, if electric proves to be much more expensive then nitro, then I'll go nitro. Propeller, it looks like you spent about $600 for your setup w/lipos. That seems more comparable to a CMB 67 setup. I just got sticker shock when I looked at Castle's site...$540 for ESC + $350 for motor = panic. Thx

Current IMPBA rules call for Lehner 22XX, Neu 15XX or Plet 370.

Last edited by a moderator:
Current IMPBA rules call for Lehner 22XX, Neu 15XX or Plet 370.
What Chilli said. One thing I'll say is if you can swing it buy the better Hyperion packs. Yeah they're more expensive but they'll last longer and give you better performance. If you shop around you should find a 1527 1.5Y for between $260-280, many choices for ESC's but same advice, shop around.

Hey Propeler,

Those prices seem more reasonable. I would much rather go electric if possible. I'm not a tree hugger. I just think its cleaner and more quiet and I have more places to run the boat. Plus, I spend all this time building the boat, I'd hate to stink it up with a bunch of nitromethane. That said, if electric proves to be much more expensive then nitro, then I'll go nitro. Propeller, it looks like you spent about $600 for your setup w/lipos. That seems more comparable to a CMB 67 setup. I just got sticker shock when I looked at Castle's site...$540 for ESC + $350 for motor = panic. Thx
Scales are really not a family to get into I f you dont want to spend any cash. Scales cost. Id go with a leopard 5692 over the scorpion. It has more mass and grunt than the scorpion. The scorpion is good though but the leopard may be a little less in price, and is good quality.

The Neu motors are very efficient and durable, but they are somewhat expensive. Brian Buaas just Set the NAMBA 1/8 scale electric two lap record with my 20+ year old boat equipped with a Scorpion HK 4035 800, a Castle ICE 200 lite ESC with added water cooling, and two Gens Ace 5300 4S packs in series. The Scorpion isn't cheap, but it's durable as is the Castle ICE ESC. The cost should be in the $550 to $600 area depending on the street prices. We melted a lot of less expensive components before settling on these. We're pulling around 150 amps, but could pull more with these components, if needed.

Lohring Miller

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input.I love the scales and am farmiliar with the cost associated with them. It just seemed the FE setup was disproportionately more expensive then nitro. However, that seems to be the case with most fossil fuel alternatives now days.Hybrid cars are the most noteable example of this. Big $$$ up front to buy the car but ROI's are not met before the car's end of life. I understand the use in modeling is a bit different and the folks that are running electric are probably doing so for better speeds versus trying to be green. However, after all the trade-offs are calculated the two options seem to be pretty evenly stacked. That said we probably wont see FE installations overtake nitro anytime soon if the price gap remains significant. Thanks again :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent around $120 a year on 65% nitro fuel a few years ago. Now I spend that or more on batteries. Costs of spec type boats are similar to nitro boats. Unlimited power results in huge costs for the power plant. The big difference with electrics is reliability and the number of boats that finish heats. Good electric racing (and gasoline engine racing) now often has all the starters finishing.

Lohring Miller

I spent around $120 a year on 65% nitro fuel a few years ago. Now I spend that or more on batteries. Costs of spec type boats are similar to nitro boats. Unlimited power results in huge costs for the power plant. The big difference with electrics is reliability and the number of boats that finish heats. Good electric racing (and gasoline engine racing) now often has all the starters finishing.

Lohring Miller
$120 a year for nitro? Geeez that wouldn't get me through a month with the twins, LOL!!
I'll disagree about the gas racing though as they are actually becoming less reliable each year as racers try to extract to most out of them. I'm seeing way more coming back in retrieve boats from "quitting" than it used to be.

The Neu motors are very efficient and durable, but they are somewhat expensive. Brian Buaas just Set the NAMBA 1/8 scale electric two lap record with my 20+ year old boat equipped with a Scorpion HK 4035 800, a Castle ICE 200 lite ESC with added water cooling, and two Gens Ace 5300 4S packs in series. The Scorpion isn't cheap, but it's durable as is the Castle ICE ESC. The cost should be in the $550 to $600 area depending on the street prices. We melted a lot of less expensive components before settling on these. We're pulling around 150 amps, but could pull more with these components, if needed.

Lohring Miller
Thats Impressive. So what is NAMBA's motor requirements for 1/8th scale?

Last edited:
NAMBA allows full T power plants in 1/8 scale. That means 10S 12,000 mah batteries. You could pull 1000 amps from modern batteries for two SAW passes with those specs. Of course, the best speed control (Schulze) can "only" handle 440 amps and the best motors can "only" handle around 380 amps. Still, 380 amps at 37 volts is almost 19 hp. I'll let you price out the components. Be sure you use very low resistance (or soldered) connectors and big wires. Allow for a replacement speed control and motor as well in your racing budget. I hope the sponsor's name on the boat is good for some real money. lol

Seriously, that's why limited classes are the way to go. We just need good, but flexible rules to define the power plant. The goal is to limit the current to around 100 to 150 amps. At present in P limited the rules set a moderate cost $80 motor) as the fuse. P limited is a good 3.5 nitro replacement. I've been experimenting with Q spec (6S) and S spec (8S) replacements for 7.5 and 11 cc nitro engines. Tests of a Q spec Leecraft XT-460 were successful.as was the S spec 1/8 scale boat. Next is a Q spec Mutt II.

Lohring Miller

Love the info but there are escs that handle more that the shulze :eek: . MGM compro 63400 does continuous 400 amps and 15s the Jettispin navy 300 @ 14 s does 300 amp continuous with over a 400 amp burst. Both have much better water cooling accommodations than the schulze . They also both have datalogging The schultz are some of the best but they have gotten cheaper in their manufacturing here lately.Running at max amp draw is crazy to me.I think the goal of no more that 150 amps should do the trick. I dont understand the motor limits at all. To me they should be limited only to the max output of the nitro counterparts if 67 nitros put out say 6 hp then our limits shouldnt care about size or voltage only the 4,473 hp max. However we get there is our business. All this limited stuff is giving certain manufacturers a monopoly on the sport. What if nitro allowed only piccos in the boat. Thats crazy and not racing. Whats that and IROC of boats?

mgm http://mgm-compro.com/index.php?tid=brushless-speed-controllers-tmm-40063-3-x-series-32-bit-system

Jeti: http://www.rc-easy.com/shop/product_info.php?info=p1452_21026-Jeti-SPIN-300-OPTO-Wasserk-hlung----D.html&XTCsid=549a34de8973c23f13107f12de29cb42curre

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back