Best engine for my .21 Roadrunner rigger.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstew0903

I just aquired a used .21 roadrunner rigger and wanted to get a youadvise of what brand of engine I should put in this rigger. I see several different options, Novarossi, CMB, Mac, Rossi, RB C5. I see they are in about the same price range(except the RB c5 $575.00 Ouch!!). Thanks for the help.

Jason

maybe you should ask tom about the RB and see what he thinks. :p :p :p sorry i couldnt help it

I saw some where that they had improved the C5.......But that is a lot of money to pay for JUNK...!!!!

I have found,in my few years of boating,that the NR is "the engine"...... If you are going to spend the $$ for the others ...why not spend 15-20 more and get the best...NR

They all will need tweeking a little......

Last edited by a moderator:
not2bright said:
maybe you should ask tom about the RB and see what he thinks. :p   :p   :p sorry i couldnt help it
76067[/snapback]

dont get me started on that piece of junk!

get a Nova Rossi for a .21..... if ya want to go faster have one of the engine guru's go over it.

Jason,

I would buy a Frank Orlic prepared Nova Rossi 21 or an Andy Brown

prepared MAC 21. The best pipe is going to be the next problem. I

may have that answer very soon for you though.

Good Luck Testing,

Mark Sholund

Ok I see everyone likes Novarossi. How much will one of these set me back? How much is it to modify one?

Is this going to be too powerful of an engine for me to start out with in my first rigger?

If anyone has a used .21 engine that would be good for this rigger let me know. Thanks again for the help guys!

Jason

jstew0903 said:
Ok I see everyone likes Novarossi. How much will one of these set me back? How much is it to modify one?
Is this going to be too powerful of an engine for me to start out with in my first rigger?

If anyone has a used .21 engine that would be good for this rigger let me know. Thanks again for the help guys!

Jason

76158[/snapback]

Jason,

Send me a personal e mail through this board. I have options for you.

You will spend about $320.00 for the engine alone. Add in header, mods, collet, header gasket, etc you will have over 500.00 in it. The 21 Roadrunner can take anything you throw into it and at it. I have 8 Roadrunners.

John

John,

You are right about the R/R 21 will take anything that you can throw in it.

I remember about ten years ago putting in a OPS 45 in one of my R/R 21's.

It would pull an 1860 propeller over 85 MPH on a little pond in a heat racing

setup. I'm sure it would go into the 90's on a longer pond. Those were some

fun days testing as I look back on it. :)

Happy Holidays,

Mark Sholund

shoboat said:
John,
You are right about the R/R 21 will take anything that you can throw in it.

I remember about ten years ago putting in a OPS 45 in one of my R/R 21's.

It would pull an 1860 propeller over 85 MPH on a little pond in a heat racing

setup. I'm sure it would go into the 90's on a longer pond. Those were some

fun days testing as I look back on it. :)

Happy Holidays,

Mark Sholund

76984[/snapback]

Mark,

Between Ryan and myself, we have tested the limits of this hull. While not indestructible, it comes as close as any rigger I have owned. I have considered doing just what you did but I already have three 45 riggers now. Don't need another project. Already have 3 now.

BTW, didn't get to test but a couple of props Saturday. Pine straw all in the water was stopping almost everything. Will try again over the holidays.

John

Jason A box stk Novarossi will work perfect for your 1st 20 Hydro. I have radared many in the Mid 60`s after just a few tanks of fuel in a Good Boat with the correct prop. Light 3-3 1/2 lb 20 Boat 1450 octura. or ABC H7. Heavy 4.0 plus lbs Boat 1445 Octura. I might have a new prop for you in the bag..... If needed I`ll take a Look. Joe.

Hello Jason,

I agree with Joe Ws set up. Add and Andy Brown 21 Qiute pipe

and will be very hard to beat. Plus you will enjoy the performace FAST

and very dependable. Also get the DJ carb with the third channel///

Bob Morton B)

Hummmmm Speed costs//////

Jason,

I agree, stock will be fine. I don't like the stock carb in stock form. Cut the spray bars out of the carb (get advice on that) or buy the DJ with the 3rd channel.

DJ Carb

Nice carb to go on a NR. This pictures a different engine but you get the idea. They also sell an adapter plate for the O.S. third channel needle. The third channel needle is VERY nice. Just call Bill at Rossi Sales and he can fix you up.

The D/J Carb was a Custom carb built by John Collins & sold By Rossi sales for many years. .340 bore and they later offered a third channel adapter for a OS needle to be installed. Would fit N/R MAC Cmb And several others. Very Sweet little carb But Pricey....... I have recently seen an adapter that allows you to put the OS 3rd Channel needle into the Stk N/R carb hsg. I would have to guess this is also coming from the same place. Look to be a Sweet set up that is a lot cheaper on the boater... The Box Stk Nova carb would work fine After removing the Low idle inners. But the Manual Stk High Side needle set up left a lot to be desired. But we normally would pile a few rubber bands on the manual needle to keep it from moving in/out while running. This worked pretty well on most applications. Seems the O rings would go bad very quick in the needle assembly. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back