Beginner questions and problems

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmozracing

I received my new boat last week, 42" deep vee with a 7.5 K&B. I was able to start the boat a couple times at home to make sure that she fired up, and indeed did. Of course when you get to where there is water..... is when you encounter all of the problems! My first battle that I thought looked a little funny from the beginning is the starter belt, I may just be missing something obvious, but I bought a brand new 12 volt Hobbico starter and a new battery and charger for it. It seems to have a LOT of trouble turning this enginge over. If I loosen the glow plug a little it turns over great, but as soon as I tighten it down it seems like this thing has a ton of compression, it will barely turn it over, let alone enough times to give it a chance to fire. If the belt gets theven a little bit of fuel or water on it, I have no chance, as it will just spin on the pullies. I though it may be flooded, but when I pulled the plug and turned it over it didn't spray any fuel. The belt seems to rub on both sides of the throttle and I am sure that isn't helping. I got her started and ran about 20-30 seconds each before stalling, but tuning isn't my area of concern, as I have tuned nitro cars/trucks enough to get the hang of it. So, if anyone can help me with this starting issue it would be appreciated.

???Thanks a lot - Bryan

ER,

1) Sounds like you have a weak gel cell battery or it needs a good charging.

2) Buy a new starter belt with good teeth.

3) Take the carb off the engine and put a piece of fuel tubing on the fuel nipple. Blow into it as you lean and richen the needle. It sounds like you have someobstruction stopping the flow of the fuel somewhere. Sometimes they pick up small pieces of dirt and just need a quick clean or hard spray of a cleaning solvent.

Also,

Can you get the motor starter w/the glow plug loosen and then tighten it up to run it?? Sometimes new motors just have so much **** compression that it takes a while to break them in.

Brian, the hobbico starter you have doesn't have enough torque to start that motor.You should take it back and get a Sullivan Dynatron starter . The hobby shop shoild sell it for about 60-70 bucks. This thing will start any size boat motor. Hope this helps

Brian, youre starter should be fine as long as you have enough juice. I use the hobbico with 24 volts and it works great and has been for over two years now. just dont spin the starter for more than 5 - 10 second at a time. what amperage is the battery that you are using? I have used this starter with the 7 amp gell cells on 12 volts but 24volts works much better. I can start 90 engines all day with it. Some guys have there belt off to the side to get away from the carb or pipe if your belt is long enough. Try it and see.

P.S. like rcboats said, can you start the motor with the plug loose and then tighten after you remove the ignitor? lots of people do this especially when an engine is new.

~ james

I am using a brand new Hobbico torquemaster starter with a fully chargered Hobbico torquemaster 12V battery. I will try to move the belt to the side. Do you typically have to apply a lot of upword pressure for the belt to grab? I do have a brand new belt , the teeth look like brand new. Yes, I could start the engine with the plub loosened and then tighten it, but I think this enginge has had 2 full gallons already put through it by the original owner. I assume that it should be broken in by now. I will just have to play tih it until it works. Also, do they sell 24V batteries or should I just connect 2 12V together? I am horrible with conversions or lack there of with amps and volts. Thanks - Bryan

You need to do 24 volts to the hobbico, or launch it into the pond, and go get a sulliven starter. Bite it in the ass and get the good starter, I started with the hobbico, and it works great for OBs. IBs with belts FORGET IT. I got the 12/24 sul starter and its GREAT.

get yourself plenty of extra pranther belts

cause seems once they start to shred, there not going to last much longer.

You'll be surprised how long a motor can take to break in. My CMB .67's and .80's have taken forever to get to a point to where I didn't have to loosen the plugs to start them.

What you can do is put the starter inside the starter belt, lift up just a little bit to where there is no tension on the belt, spin the starter for a second so it's reveing and than lift up. This will give you a little extra torque to get this engine started until it breaks in. I don't reccommend you jerk to hard tough!

Last thing to check also is how good your glow ignitor is working. If it's not glowing good and hot it's going to make your starter work double time.

Anyone have a link where I can get a sullivan starter, also, any roccomendations for a battery? Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it! - Bryan

Tower Hobbies carries them. Another one to check out is a Hangar 9. I have one that will outcrank any other for the price.

I have seen guys use lawn tractor batteries, motorcycle batteries & batteries out of a UPS. I use a portable 12 volt jump start unit. They come with built in jumper cables and some have a cigarette lighter type adapter built in. You can get this at most auto parts stores. It sells for 50 to 70 bucks. I only need to charge it once a month. It has plenty of power to spin most anything as long as its broke in. Otherwise I have to use the loosened plug method. The unit serves double duty in the winter time to jump start dead car batteries. Any Sullivan starter is the way to go.

Good Luck!

Ed Radz

Tuning cars/trucks are very different. The boats need to run very rich to start out with, they lean out once in water. I was shocked the difference in tuning. I dont have to retune as much as a car or truck with the boat. the water temp keeps it pretty close on tune from week to week. But when that water gets warmer am going to have to retune then.

that big starter (sullivan) Is the way to go.

I did the "other" starter and was a headach.

this one is MADE to do 12/24. If 12 isnt fast enough, go the 24 volts. I dont have to loosen the plug on my .80 and .84. with 24.

I use the 2 -12 amp gel cells. there bigger than standard ones most see, but they last a long time.

Dont use 24 volts on a small .21, it will shred the belt in no time.

good luck there

Latest posts

Back