Ban on Two Stroke Engines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IT WILL BE A SAD DAY WHEN TWO STROKES ARE OUT LAWED..... HAVE A BOAT WITH A 4 STROKE ENGINE NOW AND IT CAN BE DESCRIBED AS (CUTE)....ALL OF YOU CAR FREAKS OUT THERE KNOW WHAT IT WILL TAKE TO PUMP UP A 4 STROKE TO TWO STROKE CC PER CC HP RATING! tHOSE VALVES ARE A MAJOR LIMITER ON THESE LITTLE ENGINES

am i the only one that has seen a comercial 4 stroke model eninge?? they all run oil in the fuel!! and nitro!! they dont have sumps and oil pumps!

I don't know of any nitro 4-strokers for boats, but if you look at how engine technology has changed in model aircraft over the last 10 years or so, you would see that the torque mongers are approaching 80% of the BHP of the same displacement 2-strokes.

The original reference was to the UIM - this body does not regulate model boating

The issues which has already pushed IC powered racing off most public waterways - NOISE - seems to have been completely overlooked - this sport is shrinking for a reason and this is the biggy

To date no government has passed any regulations in relation to model emissions - the problem is with transport and for full sized classes keeping race machines relevant to the general public and what the manufacturers are willing to supply

I wonder if learning and about and applying silencer technology and trying and keep our environmental impacts low - ie getting ahead of the game would nt make people happy to see us rather than freaked because we disturb their peace?

The other biggie in this country is Public liability. We lost a venue for that reason even though we have our own insurance.

The noise thing is more a change of attitude thing - there is no disadvantage to anyone if verybody has to run silencers.

[glow=red,2,300]Set a good example and fit a silencer or muffled pipe.[/glow]

Although we have a noise limit in Aus, I think we should probably lower it. Most of the European style muffled pipes are well below the current limit. The current CMB 90 muffled pipe is VERY quite, as is the CMB 45 pipe (hey Craig! 8) ). Also the newer Bolly pipes are very quiet and I know he can make them quieter at request. the Prestwhich pipes are very quiet too.

Here tho everyone seems to get the nitro pipes and put stinger mufflers on them. This gets below the limit, but not far below it!

Ian.

But wouldnt adding silencers to outboards pipes changes the balances and stuff of the boat?

what would be a good solution to do with them?

Kris,

There are some outboard pipe designs that are muffled, but I must admist that most that I have heard are poorly muffled. Bolly used to make carbon fibre after mufflers that weighed very little, if you talked nicely to Les he might make more.

Ian.

but if you already had a good pipe (say the Gadget Craft one, or the silver bullet) and you wanted to make it quieter could you attach a silencer to it? or would it change the balance too much to be worth it?

Kris,

If you are under the current limit with the existing pipe then you have nothing to worry about.

I am merely advocating a lower limit as to reduce the intrusiveness of the boats. At the nats I could hear Phil Redhouse run his 67 rigger at 7.00am at the rowing centre from back at the Nepean Shores!!! That is about a 5 or 10 minute drive away!!!! The sound carries very well, and most people dont like the noise they make!

Ian.

Kris,

You are correct - adding a silencer to an outboard pipe will change the CG as it is behind the transom. Easily overcome though with some lead. This is not usually a problem on inboards.

One of the nicer aspects of carbon fibre pipes is the exaust note is different. The sound is not as "sharp" as from an alloy pipe and mine is under the db limit easily. This is not to say that it is quiet though and I should put a muffler on it to make it even more quiet. (One more thing I have to do :p )

One of the biggest culprits for noise is the stock K&B outboard when they are started on the pit bench- spectators cringe at the sound of them.

Tim,

I dont know about the newer motors with the mufflers, but the old 45 motor with the exhaust in the leg was possible the worst sounding motor in model boating! Not just loud, but horrible note! Yuk! :eek:

Ian.

well i just found out about 30mins ago what you are talking about :) it is definately loud and a 'YUK' sound...

Just curious Tim, how much would it cost to upgrade (in total for all the parts) from my stock K&B to a CF pipe? if you dont want to talk about it here please email me :)

Also i take it the CF pipe will make it quieter (in a way) and sound much better than stock?

Kris

btw i was wondering what that sound was i could hear in Holsworthy ;)

Kris,

Get used to it in stock trim before you even think about a tuned pipe.

They only sound "yuk" when they are out of the water (to a point :p )

As for the pipe, there seems to be a few people interested in them at the moment - I am going to order some shortly and won't know the price until then...

Tim.

Hi Guy's,

This was the reason I was talking about a sort of SS with the barrel mufflers but with water cooled motors. It's not that hard to mod the leg (is it Kris? ;D) and it will make it a lot quieter with a slight improvement in performance. OK not up with the piped engines but a lot quieter 5-10db. If you can't notice that difference your already deaf. :p

cheers

GT ;D

Well i finnally got 1 and a half tanks run through my new motor on the water...on the way to breaking it in. I suppose it doesnt sound too bad when its 100m away from you on the other side of the lake, but when it comes down the straight in front of you that sound hits you hard ;)

I want to get my Motor as quiet as i possible can, but at the same time get the best performance i can from it...GT's idea about the barrel mufflers seems to be my best bet at the moment, i just hope he can find some more (come on guys you have to have them lying around for us Aussies to take off your hands so we can usethem :) )

Where i run is on private property and the guy doesnt want to be annoyed buy a loud boat buzzing around 300-400m from his house so noise limit is a srious constraint for me, without this lake i dont know where i would be able to run :'(

Kris

Back