APRCRA - PRO RACING

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find this somewhat odd that the driver cannot be at the boat when it gets started. :blink:
I don't want to start a fussing match but I feel this should be looked at across all Associations. In the hot pits there are said number of boats that are being started. Once the boat is started they run (not really running) out of the hot pits while everyone else is starting boats. Everyone criss crossing, running boats and drivers moving quickly to get to the driver stand. Things happen in an instance and this situation can be avoided.

I think that it is inforced to avoid a potential accident with boats running and multiple bodies moving around. I have seen some close calls, as I'm sure many of you have also.

Agree or not?

I find this somewhat odd that the driver cannot be at the boat when it gets started. :blink:
I don't want to start a fussing match but I feel this should be looked at across all Associations.
I don't see this happening, at least not in the IMPBA. The last thing I want to be is 30, 40, 50 feet away from my boats during start up, especially the twins. Common sense & being aware of what's going on around you is the key here. A bigger improvement would be to make sure all boats are taken out of the hot pits immediately upon completion of the heats so there is more room. Excess clutter & crap left in the pits in my experiences is what generally leads to most "close calls" as it gets hard to move around. If a person chooses to leave his or her starting table in the hot pits they must be ready to share it with others.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to start a fussing match but I feel this should be looked at across all Associations.
I don't see this happening, at least not in the IMPBA. The last thing I want to be is 30, 40, 50 feet away from my boats during start up, especially the twins. Common sense & being aware of what's going on around you is the key here. A bigger improvement would be to make sure all boats are taken out of the hot pits immediately upon completion of the heats so there is more room. Excess clutter & crap left in the pits in my experiences is what generally leads to most "close calls" as it gets hard to move around. If a person chooses to leave his or her starting table in the hot pits they must be ready to share it with others.
I agree Don, but I dont think Fred is going to bend on this one. I sent him an email regarding that and a few other matters, I will let you know when I hear back from him. A well organized pit area is key here,not keeping the driver out of the hot pits. The person handling the boat HAS to be aware of whats around them and whats going on, just like always. ;)

As per the APRCRA racing guidelines--
The other big question was about the driver not being allowed in the Hot Pit at the start of the race. We are standing firm on this, as I have observed too many close calls in the pit area during start up. Also, remember that in the "cold pits" (where your tent/trailers are), you are allowed 2 "pit crew" members to assist you. All other visitors/spectators can only be in the cold pits during breaks or afer racing for a "meet and greet" type of event.

Also, be sure that all cold pit stands or tables have prop guards on them. Hot pit tables must also have shields for hosting clubs. No Exceptions!

What!!??? If I am going PRO i am going to have to have my hospitality area for my sponsors and family and my crew of six people working on the boats and etc. Of course they will have to be in the hot pit area too :p

The other big question was about the driver not being allowed in the Hot Pit at the start of the race. We are standing firm on this, as I have observed too many close calls in the pit area during start up. Also, remember that in the "cold pits" (where your tent/trailers are), you are allowed 2 "pit crew" members to assist you. All other visitors/spectators can only be in the cold pits during breaks or afer racing for a "meet and greet" type of event.

Also, be sure that all cold pit stands or tables have prop guards on them. Hot pit tables must also have shields for hosting clubs. No Exceptions!

What!!??? If I am going PRO i am going to have to have my hospitality area for my sponsors and family and my crew of six people working on the boats and etc. Of course they will have to be in the hot pit area too :p
Your slacking Norm. You forgot your motorcoach - :lol: :p :lol: :p :lol: :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Your slacking Norm. You forgot your motorcoach - :lol: :p :lol: :p :lol: :p
Nope sure did NOT. That is where I will be between rounds while the crew gets all the boats done. :p

Just make sure you dont forget to get outside once and a while to sign autographs for your adoring fans ;) and save me a seat in the ac too okay..... :p

Well, now that I have read all oy your opinions and so on here is my take. I have been into some type of racing since I was about 8. I have raced, motorcross, quads, karts and cars, and the one thing that seems to take all of the fun out of it is when money is involved. I have seen many a fights a the dirt track and been involved in my share when someone thinks you took them out or you have to pull some kids dad off of another dad because they plainly got out run and one accused the other of cheating. It seems to be different when it is prizes at stake in stead of money. It's like we respond to $$$ completely differently than when we are offered a new prop or trophy. When I becam old enough to take myself to the track and enter myself I chose NOT to race the money races. Is this because I didn't want to make money off of doing something I love and have invested money in... NO. I just chose not to deal with the people that it brings out of the wood work. IMHO i think that once you put money in the equation it becomes just another form of work instead of fun. Do I think everyone will respond poorly no. However I GUARANTEE that ther will be the few that ruin it for everyone else. I am much younger than most of you but I have been in the racing world for quite some time now and anytime and this may just be the events that I was at, money ALWAYS had a poor effect on the racing environment. Now after reading the hot/cold pit rules, I'm not digging not being able to be near my boat when it get fired. NOBODY knows your set-up like you do UNLESS they helped you set it up. I live in Ellisville, how many of you do i run with on practice days????..... Precisely.

Just My 2 cents worth... Now I have to go rob a bank. I'm broke now,

Zach

I had discussion with Fred on this subject about people in the pit at our initial meeting and yes he had many concerns about this subject. When I showed him at our site how the pits are managed and the ability to keep out un necessary people in the pits This was not a problem.. In far too many races at using the recent GAS Nats as an example, their was no control to keep out people that should not have been in the pits.. I've seen too many near accidents with people running with boat props spinning, turning around etc.

I assured Fred our procedures and this issue was not a problem.. I for sure and like many others that are driving need to be in the pits starting our boats.

I don't want to start a fussing match but I feel this should be looked at across all Associations. In the hot pits there are said number of boats that are being started. Once the boat is started they run (not really running) out of the hot pits while everyone else is starting boats. Everyone criss crossing, running boats and drivers moving quickly to get to the driver stand. Things happen in an instance and this situation can be avoided.

I think that it is inforced to avoid a potential accident with boats running and multiple bodies moving around. I have seen some close calls, as I'm sure many of you have also.

Agree or not?
NOT! :p

As others have said, I know my engines, and cowl hold downs, better than most other people. There's only one other person who consistantly starts my engines for me and that's because he's done enough pitting for me to know my engines pretty well. In addition, there should be two people starting a boat anyway. So, if the driver isn't in the pits that means a second pit person will need to be recruited? :eek: The problem of crisscrossing paths, close calls, etc can be avoided by good pit layout, staying aware of what's going on around you, and as Don said, keeping the "clutter & crap" out of the pits.

Agree or not?
NOT! :p

As others have said, I know my engines, and cowl hold downs, better than most other people. There's only one other person who consistantly starts my engines for me and that's because he's done enough pitting for me to know my engines pretty well. In addition, there should be two people starting a boat anyway. So, if the driver isn't in the pits that means a second pit person will need to be recruited? :eek: The problem of crisscrossing paths, close calls, etc can be avoided by good pit layout, staying aware of what's going on around you, and as Don said, keeping the "clutter & crap" out of the pits.

AGREED.

Visit the site and this is what you're going to find. To join for just one race, it will cost you $50.00. To run in more than one race, it will cost you $100.00 and this does not include entry fees.
So, if one wants to be called a "pro", they have to pay $45 for IMPBA, I assume NAMBA is a similar price, and then an additional $50 (one-time) or $100 fee for APCRA? This extra money (allegedly) goes for insurance, but yet everyone racing is already part of an organization IMPBA and/or NAMBA that already has insurance. Not to mention all of us who are also AMA (flying) members, which also covers us when running boats. And then after we've paid for duplicate memberships, we get to learn yet another set of rules and deal with another set of politics. :eek:

Can this organization really live up to their hype "This relaxed type of organization will allow for some of the fastest racing in the country without sacrificing any of the pleasures we have all come to enjoy over the years." I can't speak for anyone else, but the "pleasures" I get from racing are spending time with friends and engaging in some friendly competition with them. Adding money to the mix is going to have a significantly negative impact on racing.

Setting aside all of the bad tendencies that come out in people when they are racing for money, is model boating going to be better by having yet another organization making up new rules and splintering people's efforts?

I had discussion with Fred on this subject about people in the pit at our initial meeting and yes he had many concerns about this subject. When I showed him at our site how the pits are managed and the ability to keep out un necessary people in the pits This was not a problem.. In far too many races at using the recent GAS Nats as an example, their was no control to keep out people that should not have been in the pits.. I've seen too many near accidents with people running with boat props spinning, turning around etc.
I assured Fred our procedures and this issue was not a problem.. I for sure and like many others that are driving need to be in the pits starting our boats.
The pit areas in Orlando are a perfect example of how it should be done. You guys run a tight ship in that area. ;)

I am copying and pasting this directly from JRCBD.

APRCRA 2008 Pro Cup Series Schedule

The following is the preliminary schedule for the Pro Cup Series.

Feburary,21-24- Voo Doo Nats - All Classes= New Orleans, La.

March, 21-23- Orlando Culvert Dodgers- Orlando Fl.

April (Date and location TBA) District 3- South Fl.

May (Date TBA) Nashville Showdown #2 - Nashville, Tn.

June-19-21- Carolina Showdown#3-Walnut Cove N.C.

July- Early July (Date TBA) Bay City Blast#2- Bay City Mi.

August- Available

September- (Date and Location TBA) District 3- Fl.

October - (Date and Location TBA) District 3- Fl

November - (Date TBA) Voo Doo Park New Orleans- La

Any Club wanting a Pro race should contact [email protected] as soon as possible to select a date and on the list should any of the above need to cancel.

I recieved a reply from Fred earlier , he has a family member with some pretty serious health issues right now, but should have the Nitro and F/E formats laid out by this weekend . We will see how they come out. The only firm Fla date so far is the Orlando event.

Back