Anyone with real outboard knowledge

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the problem?
At idle out of gear the motor has a miss or hic-up. Once every 5 seconds or so it would act as though it lost spark, and miss and then idle fine again, but cycling in this manner. The problem has become more pronounced and now it will stall at idle out of gear, in most cases when you put it into gear it will also stall. When you can manage to get a rev and get it on plane, it seems to run fine. I pulled the carbs off today and made sure there was no debris/trash in the bowls and also removed and cleaned what I assume were the low and high speed jets as well as making sure the inlet line was clear. Also replace the plugs (the old ones were slightly worn) repaired a poor plug wire at the coils and verified proper connections at the coil packs. This boat gets used a TON and I really didnt expect to find anything in the fuel- but had to be sure, Im at a loss here guys and could use a hand.

Went a little further this eve. Compression @150 lbs across the board and spark appears very strong on all 3 holes spinning over with the wire grounded. I gotta think I missed something in the carbs - anyone ????

Where you at Robin-lol ....

Andy

The driver lmao had to Andy Robert

I've seen you drive your RC boats- Im never getting in a REAL one with you and your so called "skills"- :blink:

Now back on subject eh- I gotta make this thing run right so I can get paid- LOL

Andy

what year is the engine

3 cylinder tells me it is a 2 stroke

do the coils have plugins on them or are the wires connected with eylet studs and nuts ( dose it have a switch box and coils or cdm ignition?)

have you done a balance test.....get some plastic pliers and pull each spark plug lead one at a time (you definately do not want to do this with anything metal, outboard ignition will light you up). the cylinder you fixed the plug wire on could still be a problem. listen for a "crack" of spark and if you can look at the spot you repaired and see if you can see a spark bleed there....definately when it spits see if you can hear the "crack" f spark bleeding off someplace...usually it is around the coils if this is the problem. sometimes pullling the lead of the plug helps accent any spark leaks.

did you do a leak down? compression will not really show a ring issue sometimes

the symptom really sounds like a lean sneeze at idle. you should have idle mix needles you could adjust......If you have a carbon or ring issue (do the leakdown test) you could be losing your crankcase preasures and vachume to run properly at idle.

have some other thoughts but would be better if I talked with you on the phone.

Kelly

Andy,

what year is the engine?

Dan.

oops, you were faster on the keyboard there Kelly. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input guys-

its a 1997 Tracker/mercury 90 -

Its has plug in style coils- I verified it had proper and clean connections at each coil pack.

Andy

Hello from Australia .

First up I will admit that I don't have any full size outboard knowledge , but there is something that you can try. From past experience with car motors , put the boat and motor in a dark shed , connect it up for a test run as normal and look for any stray sparks buzzing around . I have seen it on a motor in a Speedway car years ago , what a good light show . It can be as simple as dust and stuff on the leads .

Regards

Ian Baas

The Tall Fella

Need a little help- anyone know outboards(real ones) ??
Andy
Andy , sounds like a lean low speed miss , doubt it's electrical . go back to the carbs and make sure there is no trash that could possibly clog low speed circuits . check for cracked or loose oil bleed lines on the block , also tighten fuel pump screws if its attached to the block that way . as mentioned go on screamandfly.com , technical discussion forum . While you're there check out the River Ranch Photo thread on general Discussion , you will see a fat guy with a hat driving an Allison .....guess who ! call me . Tom .

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/show...ad.php?t=158934

hello Andy : I have experienced this problem on a 150 merc before, It started out with a slight cough at idle and a surging at high end. eventully wouldn't idle worth a crap . It ended up being a pin hole in the fuel pump diaphram . and one leaking fuel pulse line hose on the side of the block. Geoff.

Hi,

Gonna have to agree with Propwash....... look for a pinhole leak in the fuel .supply system

had a Johnson that wouldn't idle at all and at speed still didn't quite run right. after lots of parts swapping and head scratching I found the fuel pickup tube inside the tank was not sealed where it joined the casting you plug the fuel hose onto. this allowed air to get in the fuel line.

look for a cracked rubber fuel line. do you have the typical "plug on" fuel line? they have o-rings in them. Maybe check the vent on the fuel tank too.

got somewhere to borrow a small portable tank with a known good hose to try?

about looking for ignition leaks..... get it in the dark as suggested above and get a bottle of spray window cleaner. run the motor and mist the plug wires. you don't want to get them drippin' wet, just a light mist. this will magnify an lgnition leak...

Good luck,

Bob the Fool :blink:

what year is the engine
3 cylinder tells me it is a 2 stroke

do the coils have plugins on them or are the wires connected with eylet studs and nuts ( dose it have a switch box and coils or cdm ignition?)

have you done a balance test.....get some plastic pliers and pull each spark plug lead one at a time (you definately do not want to do this with anything metal, outboard ignition will light you up). the cylinder you fixed the plug wire on could still be a problem. listen for a "crack" of spark and if you can look at the spot you repaired and see if you can see a spark bleed there....definately when it spits see if you can hear the "crack" f spark bleeding off someplace...usually it is around the coils if this is the problem. sometimes pullling the lead of the plug helps accent any spark leaks.

did you do a leak down? compression will not really show a ring issue sometimes

the symptom really sounds like a lean sneeze at idle. you should have idle mix needles you could adjust......If you have a carbon or ring issue (do the leakdown test) you could be losing your crankcase preasures and vachume to run properly at idle.

have some other thoughts but would be better if I talked with you on the phone.

Kelly
Kelly shoot me a PM with your number so I can call you.

Andy

drew, sounds lean to me, got to agree with most of the info so far. look at the carbs, fuel pump, bleed/drain hoses to the block & intake. they have check valves at the motor end, they can stick open....... if the fuel pump separator/middle piece looks funny IN ANY WAY, replace it, or the whole pump. it is a plastic piece, and can "wear", causing sealing issues. look at the tiny sealing ridges that run around the different chambers, if any of those are gone or 'thinner' than the rest, it's JUNK. the squeeze bulb can cause some funny issues, too. but i think it's carbs or bleeder lines. you still got my phone # ?

Back