Inboard to outboard conversion Questions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoePeters

Supporting Member
Hello, Can anyone who has converted a top/nova rossi .21 inboard to outboard tell me what besides the pto and crankshaft will i need to change?Will my inboard piston sleeve timing be ok with the outboard? I have a lite PTO and still NEED a 14mm crank that will drive the pto. Any advise greatly appreciated. JOE

The piston and sleeve shouldn't be an issue. The trouble will be finding a crank as they were only made by a few people. Do a search for 14mm outboard cranks and I'm sure you'll find the people who supplied them. I can't remember their names at the moment but you might come across someone who has a crank or kit collecting dust that they would sell.

Brian

Hello, Can anyone who has converted a top/nova rossi .21 inboard to outboard tell me what besides the pto and crankshaft will i need to change?Will my inboard piston sleeve timing be ok with the outboard? I have a lite PTO and still NEED a 14mm crank that will drive the pto. Any advise greatly appreciated. JOE
Ok, Thats great I can use my inboard piston sleeves, I forgot the late,great Mr. Geraghty was taking r/c car .21s that were pull start motors to start with.The pull start cranks have a pin in the rod journal to drive the pull start or PTO. I wish he was still around to call. Thanks to all for advise and help to find a crank.

Talk to Fred at Lawless drives...he has an adaptor that means you can run inboard/car motors on an outboard lower unit (they sit upside down compared to a traditional outboard motor setup). No special cranks or PTOs needed.

I have a couple of extra 14mm cranks if you need one...
some nova cranks were also made by VS Engines (Rody Roem). Pretty sure nothing is available "off the shelf" any more.

Cheers
Kris

Talk to Fred at Lawless drives...he has an adaptor that means you can run inboard/car motors on an outboard lower unit (they sit upside down compared to a traditional outboard motor setup). No special cranks or PTOs needed.

I have a couple of extra 14mm cranks if you need one...
some nova cranks were also made by VS Engines (Rody Roem). Pretty sure nothing is available "off the shelf" any more.

Cheers
Kris
Thanks Kris, Yes im interested in buying the outboard cranks you have. That would get me going minus the starting cone and collet. Thanks, just send me a total shipped to ohio 45030 and if you have have the starting cone and parts add them in too. JOE

You may want to see what Gabe has to offer at Novarossi Marine USA...think he's also experienced with outboards.

https://www.novarossi.us/
Andy Brown may be another experienced guy to talk to.

Back