Anybody in the maket for an Unlimited Hydro?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's always sad to see one of these boats after years of neglect. Hopefully someone with the necessary resources will buy it and get it on the road to restoration. Meanwhile, thanks for the link, some of the detailed photos will come in handy this winter. :)

The U20 Captran Resorts boat, what a shame to see it like that. :( If you look closely in the background of pics 1 and 4 you'll see the former Frank Kenny Toyota boat ( the old white & orange Pay N' Pak). Hope that one is in better shape...............

Last edited by a moderator:
The large version of the photos have pretty good resolution. If you zoom in on them you'll see that the other boat is pretty rough too.

Wow!!!!....Its a shame to see it in that condition. I always wondered what happened to that hull. I remember seeing it on tv in 1981 on king5 from Seattle when Steve Reynolds drove it at that race. It usually was driven that year by Bobby Howard and owned by Keith Trowbridge.

I ran the model of that hull from 1982 untill about 1995.....

FYI, that hull and others are resting in Detroit at the so called Hydro Musem, that hull and many others are in the same warehouse in the neighborhood, Gale V, Madison, canard Circus Circus, Mr Fabricator, Utah Miss ?? (not on the Master list) and others. Dave Bartush (Detroit) and owner of the U-13 Spirit of Detroit owns these hulls, many are in bad shape.

Back in the day, there used to be hydro parties at his warehouse, just by leaning on the Gale V, I thought I was going to fall through.

In Michigan alone, there are many dead unlimiteds, Miss Liberty, Miss US (at least 3), Thunderbolt, Such Crust and Miss Wayne I believe were on top of Deweys Lumberville (Lumber yard also back a few years), Mariner Too, My Cuppie.

I have photos of most of them, maybe I'll put them in my albums.

Ok, I was bored, I put some in "My Albums" see link below, "old hydros" album

Joe, Thanks for the great shots of the hulls of the past! What a shame to see them rot away!

Steve Ball

FYI, that hull and others are resting in Detroit at the so called Hydro Musem, that hull and many others are in the same warehouse in the neighborhood, Gale V, Madison, canard Circus Circus, Mr Fabricator, Utah Miss ?? (not on the Master list) and others. Dave Bartush (Detroit) and owner of the U-13 Spirit of Detroit owns these hulls, many are in bad shape.
Back in the day, there used to be hydro parties at his warehouse, just by leaning on the Gale V, I thought I was going to fall through.

In Michigan alone, there are many dead unlimiteds, Miss Liberty, Miss US (at least 3), Thunderbolt, Such Crust and Miss Wayne I believe were on top of Deweys Lumberville (Lumber yard also back a few years), Mariner Too, My Cuppie.

I have photos of most of them, maybe I'll put them in my albums.

Ok, I was bored, I put some in "My Albums" see link below, "old hydros" album

Wow!!!!....Its a shame to see it in that condition. I always wondered what happened to that hull. I remember seeing it on tv in 1981 on king5 from Seattle when Steve Reynolds drove it at that race. It usually was driven that year by Bobby Howard and owned by Keith Trowbridge.
I am sure I will take some heat for this comment. But while I think the history of the sport should be preserved, I don't think that every old boat is deserving of some sort of honored treatment. This is a boat with little historical significance in it's past. Never won a race, never ran more than a season or two under the same name. Just an average boat. This is kind of the equivilent of making space at the baseball hall of fame for Joel Pineiro

I think it is better to honor it with a nice model like Rob did rather than spending a ton of money and effort to restore every old hydroplane, The shovel nose, Oberto/Kawaguchi/Valumart is also for sale right now. Complete with engine for $30,000. That would be better off burnt.

I will put up a link to it's sale when I get home tonight.

I do also think we should save those pics for someone looking for details about a model of the boat.

I am sure I will take some heat for this comment. But while I think the history of the sport should be preserved, I don't think that every old boat is deserving of some sort of honored treatment. This is a boat with little historical significance in it's past. Never won a race, never ran more than a season or two under the same name. Just an average boat. This is kind of the equivilent of making space at the baseball hall of fame for Joel Pineiro

I think it is better to honor it with a nice model like Rob did rather than spending a ton of money and effort to restore every old hydroplane, The shovel nose, Oberto/Kawaguchi/Valumart is also for sale right now. Complete with engine for $30,000. That would be better off burnt.

I do also think we should save those pics for someone looking for details about a model of the boat.
Hey Harry,

No heat here, you are certainly entitled to you opinion. I do disagree with your comment about this particular boat, though. Although not a significant racer in it's day, the '72 Notre Dame is still one of the most often modeled 1/8th scale boats. I'm building one myself, lol. I pal around with a bunch of hotrod car builders here in Indy and you would be surprised the heaps of junk guys drag out of dark places to sink money into, so I think if someone has the financial means why not restore the old gal? I'd compare Dean Chenoweth to racers like Bill Muncey, A.J. Foyt, and Don Garlits and think any boat he raced is historically important and deserving of preservation. I know they have a lot of hulls in the works already, but who knows the HRBM might even have an interest in using her for a pattern. I sure would hate to see this one go away forever. Just my .02 ...Take care

Scott

I beilieve the canard Circus Circus is in Monroe Washington. I looked at that, the '76 Miss US that Tom D'eath drove, an O'berto cowling and an unknown limited 280 hydro not to long ago. Aaron

Another fine boat for sale.

BTW, the first picture is of the wrong boat.

Oh well, kind of fits what Will Muncey is all about.

"BTW, the first picture is of the wrong boat."

That is a pic of the MHR 6544 1973 U-16 VALU-MART. CHEERS !!! Bob

I beilieve the canard Circus Circus is in Monroe Washington. I looked at that, the '76 Miss US that Tom D'eath drove, an O'berto cowling and an unknown limited 280 hydro not to long ago. Aaron
There are pics of the Circus in storage on this page: http://www.vintageraceboatshop.com/APBAVin...hering-2003.htm

It may have moved since then...
Looks like the vintage turbine Mariner Too in the pic just above the banquet photos. Do you know if it is?

There are pics of the Circus in storage on this page: http://www.vintageraceboatshop.com/APBAVin...hering-2003.htm

It may have moved since then...
Looks like the vintage turbine Mariner Too in the pic just above the banquet photos. Do you know if it is?
Harry,

Yes it is, all those shots of Unlimiteds are from Dave Bartush warehouses in downtown Detroit.

Aaron,

I think I remember seeing that to... or maybe it was a different hull. Out by the Cherry Valley correctional facility off Crescent Lake Road... Wasn't one of the Muncey's living out there at one time??

It was stored right here at this farm: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...mp;t=h&z=19

I couldn't zoom in far enough to see if it's still there...

Darin, the boat I saw was in the industrial park down by Lake Tye. The canard is painted different but where the paint is peeling, it looks like Circus colors underneath. Maybe they built two? Oe could have been promotional? The farm you are talking about is Will's. Aaron

Back