Andy Brown/ Speed Tip

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slideblues

Was following a thread at Marty's and Andy was talkin bout runnin it rich and pullin two coils down outta the plug, Said radar it and you wont believe the difference.

Anyone over here doin this ?

Gene ;D

I typically do this…..I usually don’t pull two coils out but I pull at least a coil out and it does give me better power at a richer needle setting. Next time I go to the pond, I’ll post some radar differences in the same boat with the same needle setting with a new plug/ with same plug with coils pulled.

I had tried this after reading the same post you mention.

Not really sure if it had a speed change or not because the Mac powerhead I was running was new and I was breaking it in at that point.I can say that the engine never missed a beat and I did not have to row after it once,and it also gave me a perfect day of racing in points. ;D

I plan to use this from now on and see what happens.Just be easy on pulling the coils or else you can trash the plugs real quick.

I would like to hear others results on this also.

Good boating

Chris

Yeah that thread is full of good info, Here is one comment on the subject, I'm gonna try this too next time out:

One other thing was Mc-9's are kinda nitorious fer breakin coils, Might try with K&B's till ya get the hang of it.

Hi Guy's

If your going to do this I highly recommend annealing the wire by using the 3 or 4 plug igniter warm up method. The wire will come down much easier without risking it breaking. Ap art for that it's a good practice to get in to anyway.

GT ;D

I picked that one up from John Brown at the Internats. It's supposed to make a big difference on the MAC motors but haven't tried it out myself yet.

alright so i heat up a plug, then gently give the coils a tug? is that it?

is the tugging done with the coils still red hot or no?

i think im gonna try this.....its alot simpler than most mods! :p

Joe

Joe, The way I took it was heat up the plug with your glow ign, like fer a count of 5, do this a couple times, let cool and gently pull two coils out. Then run it a little fatter on the needle to take advantage of the improved combustion effects.

Gene ;D

??? Ok the center coil is attached to the side of the plug how do you pull coils out then reattach it to the bottom of the plug, i don't understand ??? how about a picture.i hope you under stand what i mean,it spirals out then the little coil is attached to the bottum of the plug. please help me to understand.Thanks

I just took like 15 pictures of one but dont know if the quality is good enough to show you what you need. Its very simple and very effective, I honestly dont know why more people dont do it.

~ James

well...... I tried,

I usually heat it up with around 4 amps for about 3 seconds, let it cool then pull it out. I have also done without heating and see no difference. I do this with all of my plugs/engines including cars. mccoy, k&b, and os plugs get the same treatment.

Been doing that for a couple of months now. There is more power there. Must be careful with the coils though. Have not done any comparisons. Have not found the time racing 10 boats between my son and I. Learn't it from Steve Cooper of Cooper Pipes. There is a noticable difference. I have been pulling them up at an angle being careful not to pull either end loose. Must do the same each time or your mixture can be off. Will experiment with this a little more in the very near future. No there's an idea for a new plug eeh. ;D

Ok i get it ;D just pull it out with out breaking it off were it's attached right, then it has to be richened up i think i got it. Thanks

Hi Guy's

Only a few of you would be old enough to remember Glo-Bee plugs but they sort of used this principle. Flat wound spiral on the end of the plug - benefits all the coil gets hit by the mixture at once, no loss of compression due to depth of plug body - disadvantages, they don't make them any more. :(

They really were good plugs. Pulling the coils puts the element right smack in the middle of the denses part of the fuel charge and the flame will accelerate faster towards the edge. Hey I think that's the theory. This is part of the reason racing 2 strokes use very shallow combustion chambers so that the flame front travels at even speed accross the entire piston top eg max torque and power on the downstroke.

GT 8)

Pulling the plug element will not make any huge top end gain without changing other things as well. It will help with low end and help you hit the pipe easier. This "new speed trick" is something the control line speed guys were doing back in the late '60's. :)

The main advantage of pulling the coil down is more complete combustion. Your motor will run with a richer setting,but perform as if it were leaner. Less chance of burning out a plug too. Andy told me to pull the coil down first and then heat it up to anneal it. I use a dental pick,so as not to nick the wire. Also,don't try this to a used plug or it may break the wire easier.

I see the uys doing it all the time at my pond except they don't bother to warm the plug. I do it after I warm them and I am seeing much better engine performance and I'm not breaking the plugs as often.

GTR,

I have one Glo-Bee plug left. I always assumed they stoped making them because they were so good and because they never broke. LOL That's one way to never re-sell your plugs. ;D

Latest posts

Back