Al Naumanns 45 g completed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickGlover

I'm posting Al's pictures. I cut the boat out according to the plans. Al built the boat. I am currently still working on mine. It's built out of Spanih Cedar. It's fast. Its a diffent boat than the HG. I like the way it looks on the water. Am enclosing a picture of my HG also.CIMG3413.JPGCIMG3411.JPGCIMG3412.JPGCIMG0008.JPG

Rick a few questions: what prop are you starting with? cup/pitch?...... Can you post up a pic of the sponson bottoms, ie: I'd like to see the air trap/water break work, you did per plans or not?..... Can you give me heights off the table, say, measured at the engine bay, and the transom?.... to the tub bottom?..... whose fin? just comparing apples, as mine awaits temps and paint.... thanks Mike

Rick a few questions: what prop are you starting with? cup/pitch?...... Can you post up a pic of the sponson bottoms, ie: I'd like to see the air trap/water break work, you did per plans or not?..... Can you give me heights off the table, say, measured at the engine bay, and the transom?.... to the tub bottom?..... whose fin? just comparing apples, as mine awaits temps and paint.... thanks Mike
Mike the G is a totally different boat from the HG. There are no air traps,no overhangs on the sponsons,the hull is shorter,and the ski is wider.Al has no idea what prop he is using. All he knows is the prop works and it is fast. Big test this weekend club race. Yes the ice has thawed off our pond.Not really ! What does a frozen pond look like? Mike, i've been running my HG for about about 6 months. I like the way the G runs. I will be completing mine soon. Then I will start on my 67 G. We will have 4 boats on the water at our club race and we will be able to see how it does in heat race trim.

Rick... mine's a G/HG hybrid.... regardless... set it on a table and gimme tub to table heights engine bay and transom if you will?.... fin placement/height on mine in the future and i'd like to compare...... i'm going to start with the standard 1457 cupped around 4.2... ( i've limited 45 props)..... past thoughts on 20 boat testing have shown the ski allows way more diameter and pitch to be used, which, could have me purchasing possibly a 1460, or even some 16 series. Narrowing down the choices quickly per asking, helps..... somebody polish the numbers offa Al's prop?...... whats on your boat?..... Ice... well, is only good for 2 things, fishing, and polar bear traps...... .... build cabinets, brother.... John's gunnin for you on sunday. good luck Mike

Rick... mine's a G/HG hybrid.... regardless... set it on a table and gimme tub to table heights engine bay and transom if you will?.... fin placement/height on mine in the future and i'd like to compare...... i'm going to start with the standard 1457 cupped around 4.2... ( i've limited 45 props)..... past thoughts on 20 boat testing have shown the ski allows way more diameter and pitch to be used, which, could have me purchasing possibly a 1460, or even some 16 series. Narrowing down the choices quickly per asking, helps..... somebody polish the numbers offa Al's prop?...... whats on your boat?..... Ice... well, is only good for 2 things, fishing, and polar bear traps...... .... build cabinets, brother.... John's gunnin for you on sunday. good luck Mike
Mike, my hg is 1 1\8 at transom and under engine. I am running a stock 1457 bent on a little bit. 1457 is a good choice. My blue head pico has no problem pulling it. My good picco injested a piece of fuel tubing at the fall nationals. The G is the same. Als maybe a little positive. Because he has a little overhang on the bottom of the sponson. I told him to check it. The plans have no overhang. It will be good to have another competitive 40 boat in the club. Al was running a 40 on a 20 RR. Was real fast but would not finish consistantly. Let me know if those other props work. What motor are you running? Think you will be able to make to the club race? You could fly and be here pretty quick!

I have a new Picco 45 in a JAE 45 and I'm pulling a pitched up 1657 with no problem, pipe at 8.5 inches. I'm going to try a cut down 1860 tomorrow, I'll let you know.

Mine's not even to paint yet, as i await temperatures...... i only have the few '57's and a H 18..... just checkin up, as the boats hit the water here.... new picco 45, as the latest bluie, or what?.... what pipe? 8.5 is serious short...... i'm at like 9.5 with a ops 67 pipe... cmb purplies....... man I need some warm air..... No, Rick. i dont do aluminums tubes in the air.... it's only 18 hours.... I may drive down for the fall nats..... we'll see just how this hull shakes down... Mike

It's the new picco 45, ops 67 pipe, motor modded by Mike Hallam, picco distributor, motor has plenty of power and rpm and mills very well. I only have a 13 ounce tank in mine, thats what fit, and I have to wait 30 seconds to start on clock or it will not make race end, about a lap short. Working on getting bigger tank.

Ran a cut down 1860 today, to much prop for heat racing right now, gonna cut diameter down some more and back cut to launch easier, but man it flies when it gets up!!!!!

Mark,

It will heat race once you get the numbers right.

They are awesome propellers, I only wish Octura

made a full line of 1800 series propellers instead

of just one. :( How small is it now? The blade area

ratio is the key to that propeller working well or not.

Thanks For Sharing,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike the G is a totally different boat from the HG. There are no air traps,no overhangs on the sponsons,the hull is shorter,and the ski is wider.Al has no idea what prop he is using. All he knows is the prop works and it is fast. Big test this weekend club race. Yes the ice has thawed off our pond.Not really ! What does a frozen pond look like? Mike, i've been running my HG for about about 6 months. I like the way the G runs. I will be completing mine soon. Then I will start on my 67 G. We will have 4 boats on the water at our club race and we will be able to see how it does in heat race trim.
Hello Rick We learned a lot from the prototype (4th pic). I am sure you noticed there is a lot of down force designed into the G sponsons (first 3 pics). If your first boat starts lifting when it gets close to 80 you can add some down force to the tops of the sponsons. The full 1860 works really well on the G. Good luck on your racing this year.

Rick.... so the difference between Al's and yours is what?... G to HG?.... How did the competition go at the last race?... Was one a better heat racer than the other?... wins?...... I only have cmb purplie power, and an ops pipe..... with my RR puking on the 1.6 series, ( the one i have) doing up a 1.8, has me hesitating...... with the effects of the ski allowing more prop and pitch to be used, i'm just searching a starting range that may allow me to fine tune from there.... possible 1460, 1657, to this point..... that could be the day.... i've never kited a 45...... David, add downforce, as in feather some ply on the sponson top creating a wedge into the air?..... i'll have to watch mine...... thanks and good luck.... Mike

Back