A100 pics.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He was Competing, and doing pretty well. I think they were either40 or 60 engines and featured 2 or 4 large bearings. Sorry I cant provide more detail.. Tony J

I heard that Nelson in America was the model for both the K90 and the A engines. Is that what any of you guys are hearing. I read the story that Ian just told in an article in a RC magazine in Japan. They also said the the piston and sleeves for both the K series and the A motors were made by the same guy.

Hammer

Hammer

I dont think nelson had anything to do with the K motors, there are a few ideas floating around at the moment and the best we have come up with is rossi, but with some major changes.

Hammer,

I used to have a Rossi 90, and the K-90 shares a lot of design features, but also is substantially different in construction and quality.

I have never seen anything else like the A motors. They are nothing like the K motors either.

Ian.

Tim,

I know Craig went over for a couple of Namba nats, but I am not sure if he went over for a HydroMasters? I remember seeing someone with a billet case (just the case, not a motor) at the 2000 nats in Sydney, but I dont remember who it was.

Ian.

Still on the go apparently.

Mr Stirton showed me a crankcase - looks very cool.

Apparently there was a ERP racing at the worlds, but i dont believe it, i have never seen one run, if they were as good as everyone is saying they would be running them to show everyone.

To all:

I asked Marty Davis about this and he told me that it was Malcolm Everingham and that the 45 engine is still in development. Tony J

Tony,

Malcolm is a member of the same club as me and I have not seen him at a race for a long time. I've heard rumours that they have been trying different sleeves in them (made by Ranjit Phelan).

If there was one at the World's it would have been Barrie Clarke I would say.

The last i heard was that Ranjit wasnt making the liners anymore as they had a falling out, this is probably all here say tho

A comment from Denmark!!

The A90, 100 and soforth are distribuated by Nimrif models, the new PIP.

And the A engine lineup are made i Russia, like the K series.

And they develope great power, are cheap and can take a beating.

Have no torq problems with the A100, but we tend to use big more offshore like boats, overhere!

My winterproject involves a A180 and a gigiant Apache. Basicly the A180 is two A90 configuret in a V.

It developes about twice the power of one A90, and the sound should be just awsome!

I have had the engine for some time now, hopefully this winter I will have the time..

Morten

CMBracer

Greeting to Denmark!

I also have an A180V and it has not been successful. I mounted mine in a rigger to compete with the twin engine riggers common here in Australia.

The main problems I had were: Mine has a 13mm carb, which was too big to draw fuel and I could not get it rich enough to run properly. I drilled out the spray bar and nipple on the carb, it was still not enough. I used 25% nitro.

The engine was sealed very poorly and draws a lot of air in around the crank shaft ends. I fitted bearings with seals on the outside only to the two ends of the engine. Also the non driving end crankshaft is hollow and I fitted a grub screw with loctite to seal it up. The sealing is one of the problems causing it to run lean as per above, but these measures did not fix that problem. The engine used to run with the carb closed due to all the air leaks.

The two end crankshafts were plugged with wooden dowels. These are painted silver. These should be removed completely, I had one come out with the engine running, it was smashed up but jammed one of the discs, which was ruined. That is why my engine is currently out of action.

I feel that the disc float (how much the disc can move from the face which it is supposed to seal against) was way too much and I had some precision spacers made to reduce this float. This may not have been needed, but no disc engine I have ever seen has had so much disc float.

The last, and most significant problem is the centre crank shaft. On mine it is a 3 piece assembly that is held together with a bolt. The drive load between the cylinders is taken by 2 pins about 2.5mm in diameter. On my only test run with this engine, one pin broke, then jammed, then the second pin broke. I did some strength calculations and these pins are simply not large enough to take the drive load. I had some precision keys and keyways made in mine using CNC machines and EDM machines. I am not sure if the problem is fixed now as I have not been able to run it, see above.

Ian.

Back