80 MPH 21 hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glenn, at the top of the page click on My Controls/ Options/Manage your attachments,

Max allowed is 200K total, You may have to delete some of your older attachments or resize the ones just posted,

I dumped a ton of old stuff after the new upgrade,

Gene :D

Last edited by a moderator:
After wrestling with the idea of streamlining tubes, adjusting and mounting them for months and building testing equipment I came up with the same as Glen, the only difference is I used 2" wide adhesive tape and laminated the assemby top and bottom. In testing I found 5-8 grams of force applied to the scale with fully streamlined tubes, 20 grams with a streamlined tailing edge and 120 with no streamlining at all. the gas blower was rated at 100 mph wind velocity but when I hooked a gauge up to a pito(spelling?) tube it only read 3.8 and it takes 4.92in water for 100mph. When I did 106 with the gas rigger they were not on the boat, they got ripped off a couple of times when it took a few tumbles and I ran out of wood. I am not sure how much they helped but I will be running them in the future, drag is still drag, no matter how little. I also did the antenna wire trick that I saw Andy Brown run on his SAW rigger. I can't imagine measuring the difference between the wire in a tube and the wire alone!

Hey Guys,

Here's a couple shots of a rigger I have, the only problem with it is in heat racing if you catch ANY roost in a pass you get blown off the water. Is it faster or better than a regular wood rigger, I can't say. I now race a wood rigger so.... It is a cool looking boat though, very aero. About 28" long.

EVO1.jpg

EVO2.jpg

Paul.

I would assume that the holes are taped over so it should be just a weight saving measure.

Also, it looks like you've done just about everything I could ever think of on that 12 rigger. How hard is it to turn for a return pass? I just can't believe those front sponsons (or whatever you call them).

Don B)

thanks for the pics guys...lots of ides going through my head for SAW tunnels....

Glenn.....does that thing float??

~James

This has been a very interesting thread, including a great deal of talk about the round boom tubes & the drag induced from the shape they have. Let's look at that big round wrap around header that's hanging out the side there in that front view pic............. :eek:

Don, yeah the holes are there for weight...every little bit helps! The clear covering you see is not tape, it is the heat shrink I was talking about...I have clear and yellow and like to mix and match.

Actually it turns really well (once it slows down enough for the sponsons to "bite"...no turn fin you know). I have run it with a turn fin and it does turn a lot faster, but the top speed was down and since I have plenty of room to accelerate anyway I was not getting as quick of passes.

James, yes it floats...but not real high <_<

Glenn

Don

The point about the wrap around header was part of the points I made early on - if you can lay the engine on it's side you can run the pipe down the centre of the hull and streamline it in the tub. This way you could also just have the head sticking out the side of the tub and probably reduce the overall frontal aspect of the hydro. Very interesting sponsons? you have there Glenn.

Has anyone tried a tub with a concave bottom to provide floating lift? I think this is an idea that would be worth looking in to.

I've got lots of ideas but riggers just aren't my addiction of choice.

Forgot to say why not go back to using flat plates ala WingDings or such. Much lower frontal profile and drag etc. only drawback was stiffness but if you used laminate CF this wouldn't be an issue.

Slideblues said:
Glenn, at the top of the page click on My Controls/ Options/Manage your attachments,Max allowed is 200K total, You may have to delete some of your older attachments or resize the ones just posted,

I dumped a ton of old stuff after the new upgrade,

Gene  :D

68062[/snapback]

huh? whats this gene???

Hi Glenn,

LOL, man I just noticed (after looking again) the sponsons on your rigger. That's pretty wild, I'm going to have to give that one a try. I'm going to the SAWs in LA in November and was going to run sport hydros but I can fit one more rigger in the box. :)

Paul.

GTR said:
Don
The point about the wrap around header was part of the points I made early on - if you can lay the engine on it's side you can run the pipe down the centre of the hull and streamline it in the tub.  This way you could also just have the head sticking out the side of the tub and probably reduce the overall frontal aspect of the hydro.  Very interesting sponsons? you have there Glenn. 

Has anyone tried a tub with a concave bottom to provide floating lift?  I think this is an idea that would be worth looking in to.

I've got lots of ideas but riggers just aren't my addiction of choice.

68114[/snapback]

A guy in D.C. named Mark Phillips did that about 8 years ago, had the .21 laid sideways in the tub. Boat worked rather well, handled rough water good too with a very low CG. It was one of his ideas that actually worked well. Alot of his other ideas were, shall we say, off the deep end but he was always thinkin' up new stuff to try. B)

Back