'73 Pay n Pak Cowlings

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry K

Hey Guys! I have a friend in New Brunswick who is looking for cowlings for a 1/8th scale '73 Pak. Any ideas where I can send him?

Thanks - Larry

Hello everybody .

Larry K . This is a reply from Australia . Quite some years ago , I heard of a member in the USA who basically only ran Pay N Pak Scale Boats . And I believe his name is David Jensen , or as I was told Mr . Pay N Pak . No idea where he lives , but I believe he could be involved the RCU Group .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia

Ian, if I remember right, DJ only had the 69 rigger version, The 7325 and 8025 hulls were run by two other people.

Larry, you can check with Robbie Robberts on how he did the cowl set on his boat. If I remember right, he built his from plywood using the color sheet as a guide. That was also how I did the cowl set and engine cover on my sport 20 Pak and they turned out fine, just have to finish the cockpit and paint the boat

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Larry,

I do not recall ever seeing an epoxy glass of polyester cowl for the 7325 hull. I checked Logan, Thunderboat Reproductions (argh!!!) and RC Boat Company - No Joy. It is such a boxy sucker, what I have seen in the past have been made with balsa and ply, with epoxy class installed similar to Greg Hahn's video posted her in 'How To'.

I do have a bunch of pics of the hull taken in Miami. If they will help, just drop me a line and I'll send to you.

This one was my Father's built in 1973. He built WOF also. Graphics were taped off and painted with brushed Superpoxy.

I believe this hull was built prior to 1/8th Scale rules even being available from any of the 3 organizations APBA, NAMBA or IMPBA. Just a few chicken scratched notes from Roger back then. I have an ancient Newton Marine Master Hull Roster you simply would not believe. CHEERS!!! Bob

Hello everybody .

Larry K . This is a reply from Australia . Quite some years ago , I heard of a member in the USA who basically only ran Pay N Pak Scale Boats . And I believe his name is David Jensen , or as I was told Mr . Pay N Pak . No idea where he lives , but I believe he could be involved the RCU Group .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia
Thanks for the Shout-out Ian... I am PakMan. Been running the 6925 'Outrigger' Pak since 1982. Actually, to be accurate, my father started with it (in the mid 70's, as a friend of Rogers), and I picked it up in 1982. My Uncle Bill Smiley campaigned both the 7325 and the 8025 during his RCU career, among many others... Cowls for the 7325, I don't know... it's been more than 35 years since my uncle built the 7325 boat... let me check... I'm sure he will remember... For Laughs, his original build is on www.rcunlimiteds.org in the for sale section. The build information in the ad is incorrect If my memory serves me correctly. A local NW builder 'Lacalli' (sp) framed it from Newton Plans, and my uncle finished the construction, tweaked the sponsons, and painted it.... He won the 77 Namba Nationals in Reno with that boat ( my first attending nationals at 9 years old)... that Pak was a Premier boat in it's day.

Robbie Roberts of RCU/UNW would also have some input with regard to the cowls, as he built the same hull as well, some 20 years later in the NW.... approximately.

Best,

DJ

Larry, Bobs Pak pics are awesome!...And so is Bob! :) I built mine using Dumas stuff and Newton plans...and a little HACKIN of my own......the rear cowl is fairly simple to build...because as Bob said, its a box...with a smaller box on top of it!The nose took a little more time for me as my Pak is set up with an exposed engine.....its far from perfect, but im pretty happy with it.....its still not finished yet though....ran out of time, energy, and MONEY!! :lol: Joe Wiebelhaus also has a bunch of great pics of different versions of that hull!

Hey Bill,

I sent Larry a bunch of close up pics of the cowl Gus took at the Marine Stadium in '73, so he would be properly prepared to build his friend a cowl. He chickened out and simply forwarded them to his Friend. Wher has the sense of Adventure gone these days?? I think I may have burned Larry out helping me with a dummy engine for my Miss Liberty - Har, Har !!!

That cowl is very easy. Gus' was balsa with some 1/32 for strength. Maybe used some light weight glass cloth with K&B polyester resin back in those days. Verticals were attached to the rear cowl vertical pieces with 4-40 screws and lock nut, slots in bottom of verticals were open so when it blew off the entire assembly would come off the hull.

How do you like the rear shoes?? We raced semi scale hulls in D & E Hydro back then in Miami along with Big Hoss, and Pinckert Thunderboats - mid 70s. Lots of fun !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

Come on guys, these guys made this boat out of milk cartons!

How hard can it be?

8_24_46_img0002052A1_zps087bbc96.jpg

It is in the Burien shop under going resto. They plan to run this summer.

John, have you seen the boat yet? I would love to go down and see it IF Ken will let visitors in the shop :ph34r:

Back