73 PAK

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gibson

Supporting Member
Okay, Holidays are over, so im back to working on my 1/8th 73 Pak...as usual im trying to put 10lbs of stuff in a 5lb bag, so here comes the questions....1) can someone reccomend a comapact muffled tuned pipe that will work reasonably well with either a MAC.67 or a CMB.67 Greenhead, and what is a good starting length? 2) can i use a mini servo for the throttle and if i can what model would you guys reccomend? I use Futaba stuff....3) what standard size servo should i use for the rudder? this boat is going to be heavy 16-18 lbs. 4) what might be a good prop to start with on this boat? Many Thanks,Bill

As ususal, we have to answer your questions with more questions. 73 Pak (Winged Wonder) is one of my favorites!

What hull are you starting with? Is is made by someone else, or is it a scrath build?

As far as pipes go, the Muck pipe works well with the CMB, as well as the Mac Pipe. I like the Cooper mufflers because you can mount them on the end of the pipe, or run an extention to the muffler and mount it where it fits.

Are you using digital servos? I tried the Futaba micro digital servos on the throttle, but the vibration was too much and they failed. If you need digital, the 9650 will hold up. Futaba makes a high torque standard size servo that works well on the rudder.

If the boat is heavy, then you will have to prop down. Octura X-457 or X-457-3 for more lift. Or try a Prather 245.

One more question, how about a picture?

Tom

Okay, Holidays are over, so im back to working on my 1/8th 73 Pak...as usual im trying to put 10lbs of stuff in a 5lb bag, so here comes the questions....1) can someone reccomend a comapact muffled tuned pipe that will work reasonably well with either a MAC.67 or a CMB.67 Greenhead, and what is a good starting length? 2) can i use a mini servo for the throttle and if i can what model would you guys reccomend? I use Futaba stuff....3) what standard size servo should i use for the rudder? this boat is going to be heavy 16-18 lbs. 4) what might be a good prop to start with on this boat? Many Thanks,Bill
bill, start by spending 3 to 4 hours thinning out a p255 then a p 260 and if the 260 is too much prop reduce dia. and thin again. thinning takes alot of time and has to be done with the feel method. keep pulling your fingers over it till you get it. if you don't get it you probably never will. takes time. as for the servos , don't play with the mini servos as they will let you down. servo weight is not the problem with a scale boat. if you got a problem with weight don't look to servos to solve it.

Tom's pipe recommendations are good, start at 12" length and work in from there. For servos I'd go with the Futaba 3002 for throttle and 9405 for steering both on 6 volt 5 cell pack with as much cell capacity as space will permit. If you go with nimh batt. pack you can get to about 2500mah in a HR-3U cell size (AA) and still keep the pack size quite reasonable which should get you through a full weekend of racing without recharge. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
I LOVE this forum!!

Tom... Its a Dumas kit that i have severly hacked!(modified is to professional for my abilities!) I dont use digital servos...

Gene....space is the bigger concern...ive already made my bed with how i built the boat wieght wise.....im a habitual overbuilder! Hate to see things fall apart.

I will post a coupla pictures....hope you guys dont laugh too hard..But please feel free to throw as much info and thoughts at me as you want...It IS appreciated! Bill

I LOVE this forum!!
Tom... Its a Dumas kit that i have severly hacked!(modified is to professional for my abilities!) I dont use digital servos...

Gene....space is the bigger concern...ive already made my bed with how i built the boat wieght wise.....im a habitual overbuilder! Hate to see things fall apart.

I will post a coupla pictures....hope you guys dont laugh too hard..But please feel free to throw as much info and thoughts at me as you want...It IS appreciated! Bill
Pictures Bill!! I showed ya mine-now you show me yours :lol: :lol: :lol: I used a airtronics 94358(rudder) and a hitec 225(throttle)-both compatiable with Futaba Tx/Rx.

I LOVE this forum!!

Pictures Bill!! I showed ya mine-now you show me yours :lol: :lol: :lol: I used a airtronics 94358(rudder) and a hitec 225(throttle)-both compatiable with Futaba Tx/Rx.
No excuses, Glenn...Gotta get off my butt and push the button....Thanks for the info...Man, your gas hydro looks GREAT! I want one of those too....no time no money! :)

I LOVE this forum!!

No excuses, Glenn...Gotta get off my butt and push the button....Thanks for the info...Man, your gas hydro looks GREAT! I want one of those too....no time no money! :)
Bill, I might have a pipe for ya. Let me look around and see what I got. Glenn

I LOVE this forum!!

Bill ive used the HiTec 645mg with good sucess,if you have the extra bucks a JR8711 is tops. Hitec 225mg for throttle and if a 225 wont fit for 3rd needle use a 85 mg. If you need some p255 props i have plenty

I LOVE this forum!!

Hey Glenn, i took some pics this morning... ill try to post em here tonight to get more input from anyone who cares to throw in an opinion...Also...if you have a pipe that you might want to sell, that would be GREAT!! Bill

Dont know what i did wrong...i uploaded 7 pics of the boat "My Controls" show that they were uploaded...but nothing posted...ive posted pics on here before and now it shows my attachment space is full...dont know how to delete to get the space back to even start over..God, im BAD with this stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont know what i did wrong...i uploaded 7 pics of the boat "My Controls" show that they were uploaded...but nothing posted...ive posted pics on here before and now it shows my attachment space is full...dont know how to delete to get the space back to even start over..God, im BAD with this stuff!
Don't feel alone Bill-got the same problem. Glenn

Back