700BB 8.4 from fastelectrics v SS1

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kris anyway to email that article to me. I'm interested in the gtx outboard with a 700.

same magnets,

Run them in the same way and they will perform the same.
In my boats, the 700 BB runs hotter. I cool it, I don't cool an SS1.

I'm still a skeptic. I need proof that the magnets are the same.

I believe the motors are the same myself...

However some may stick on the magnet issue as when the SS1 was released it was touted by some (not Chris) boaters as having a "special mix" Neodymium magnet that was more heat resistant than the ones used in the 9.6 NEO motors. To my knowledged a "special mix" does NOT exist for a rare earth magnet such as Neodymium.

Looking at the castings between the SS1 and new 8.4 they look the same by eye. If the were "special mix" magnets the cost would be much greater.

Lastly, if you pull the label off your SS1's (as I and many have for cooling configuration) you'll notice the laser scribed manufacturers stamp has been sanded off. BTW I've also had old 8.4's that required no cooling, upon replacement with another old style 8.4 it required cooling. Nothing more than a variance in production.

Variances in the manufacturing process will produce variations in the motors much greater than has been tested between SS1's and 8.4's.

The wires are the same, blanks are the same, brushes are the same, the manner in which a bearing is pressed into a bushing is the same. If someone was to truly order one special design motor for boats, why the heck wouldn't they get bearings in both ends? They are the same motor...

AValentine please post a picture of what you mean with the laser model number sanded off. I have also removed the label from a ss1 and it looks like the model number was never there from the start. I will check another one tonight. To me that would mean that these come from the manufacture this way and not from Graupner and than relabeled.

Another thing all this talk about all the parts being the same, but no one has tested the two and said that the New 700bb performed better than the ss1. Seems strange that 3 or 4 people have all come up with the same results that the 700bb has a bit less in the rpm department. Unless Chris Fine has them all on his payroll? lol Not me!

Being a person that sells both motors I can say that the ones I have tested are different. But its up to the customer to make the final choice!

The wires are the same, blanks are the same, brushes are the same, the manner in which a bearing is pressed into a bushing is the same. If someone was to truly order one special design motor for boats, why the heck wouldn't they get bearings in both ends? They are the same motor...
The 700 has gobs of epoxy on the winds, the SS1 doesn't. They're not the same.

Like i keep saying FDM has a contract which will specifiy the motor let them give the numbers

It would be very odd if someone could get a Neo motor for less than I can buy the ferrite version

Andrew what hands on proof do you have that will verify your claims? Please tell everyone. Please help us clear this whole thing up. I would like to see your numbers. Others have shown their numbers, time and time again. All you have shown us is an argument/debate on why Fine Design should tell you his secret.

The class was started for the 700BB Graupner Motor and suddenly we have all these motors that run faster.

I guess my old regular 8.4V motor is junk now and I need to buy a new one to compete.

Not.......

The class was started for the 700BB Graupner Motor and suddenly we have all these motors that run faster.

I guess my old regular 8.4V motor is junk now and I need to buy a new one to compete.

Not.......
What class are you talking about, Steve?

For what it's worth, Randy Naylor won all 3 heats of LSH with the new 700BB 8.4 at our club race last Saturday. Everyone else was running a SS1. I'm not saying it's faster, hull, setup and driving have a lot to do with it, but sure isn't a dog!

Steve,

Steve Neu said 3300 cells do not improve with zapping....yup, that's who I'd get to test a boat motor.

my 2 cents, since I see you took it to the other forum.

Thanks for the info Steve H. Who would you suggest to dyno the motors?

I know you dont like it over there, but there is more traffic as you know and things get answered a bit faster over there.

Steven Vaccaro

www.OffshoreElectrics.com

Jay Turner.....Jay is the master

If it even matters......looks cool to me. It's like a Allison vs. Turbine We all know who won this year.

Back