60 roadrunner rebuild help

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracerbob

I rebiulding an older 60 roadrunner I picked up off Ebay. A lot of the hardware is total crap. Looking at the rudder, it looks like a speedmaster unit. I can salvage the hinge part that bolts to the rudder bracket but the bracket itself is junk. Easy fix there, but the previous owner used a 60 size (wide) rudder blade cut down to 4-1/4 inches. Can I use a 40 size rudder blade instead? If so, what lenght? Also I need to replace the motor mounts and the turnfin (sharpend on both sides). Ralph...you out there? This is my first large rigger and wanted to try that class without dropping a ton of bucks. I plan on using one of my Mac 67's in it and started an earlier thread on the cowling issue. Plan on making one myself as I have all the materials and inspiration from Mike P. Any opinoins/advice will be welcome. One more thing. Can I get an idea what range of props I should use? Rudder servo recomendations would help too.

Thanks

Bob

tracerbob said:
  Any opinoins/advice will be welcome.  One more thing.  Can I get an idea what range of props I should use?
114524[/snapback]

3/16" stub shaft - 1662 octura or H30 ABC, 1/4" Stub shaft - H32 or H2514 ABC, reduced dia' 1667 Octura. These props should get you going.

tracerbob said:
  Rudder servo recomendations would help too.

114524[/snapback]

Figure on a minimum of 100oz/in of torque - the more the better.

Hope this helps in some way Bob, It might be different for the older boat but the things I listed are very common in 60 riggers here now.

Tim B)

P.S love the Mad Max Avatar!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, now I've done it. Started sealing the sponsons with some older Z-poxy and after 2-1/2 days, it's still tacky :angry: . I noticed the hardener had turned brown in the bottle. What now? <_< How do I get it off or do I let it sit a few more days? Should of used the new cans of west systems I have. Duhhhh.

Tim, thanks for the complement on my avatar. I switched it in response to an earlier thread on the price of gas these days.

Thanks Russel, I'll try that. I tried laquer thinner and a single edge razor to scrape it and it worked somewhat but I wasn't satisfied with the results. I'm going to let it sit till the weekend and see if it cures, then I'll switch to west systems.

tracerbob said:
Tim, thanks for the complement on my avatar.  I switched it in response to an earlier thread on the price of gas these days.
114588[/snapback]

Very appropriate! :lol:

I travel to the town where those movies were filmed (Broken Hill, NSW Australia) twice a year for work. It's very remote and gas certainly isn't cheap there!

West systems rocks! I use the metered pumps when sealing boats and never have curing problems.

[ ;) Call me (813-684-0015) and I will walk you thru what you need to do and look for and any additional parts you might need. Sorry for the delay but my computer time is regulated by the boss :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes I am out here just not as often as some that have over 3000 post. :blink:

RALPH A said:
[ ;) Call me (813-684-0015) and I will walk you thru what you need to do and look for and any additional parts you might need. Sorry for the delay but my computer time is regulated by the boss :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

114928[/snapback]

Ralph, thanks for answering. I think what I'm going to do is go ahead and get a new one. I've done some figuring and by the time I have this one finished, I could've thrown in a few dollars more and started with a new boat. I'm liquidating some unfinished projects and I'll give you all call to see about getting one.

Robert

Smart move! Theres nothing like starting fresh, with no problems and nothing to fix. Unfortunately you got something that wasn't up to par. I hate to see people get a raw deal and then have to buy new to get what they wanted in the first place. Thats the kind of stuff that hurts this hobby and why people sometimes give up on it. Sorry you had a bad experience, maybe the new boat will help.

RALPH A said:
[ ;) Call me (813-684-0015) and I will walk you thru what you need to do and look for and any additional parts you might need. Sorry for the delay but my computer time is regulated by the boss :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

114928[/snapback]

:lol: Hey there Newbie.....yup 3 posts is a long way from 3000!

Good to see ya on here Ralph! :)

:) Thanks Andy, I have been around for some time now, but I'm a little handicapped when it comes to computers and my hunt and peck technique keep me from posting my 2 cents at times. :blink: Usually someone will post what I would have said anyway.

Back