40 Outrigger Props

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe, The 3.8" 1450 with reduced diameter. 50 mm? Are you sure it is not 46 or 47 mm? After we clean up a stock 1450 they are normally closer to 49 mm.

Did you ever run this on your Roadrunner? If so, how did it work?

Normally a stock 1450 will have more lift than a cupped 1400 prop, but this depends on how the cupping is done.

If the cupping is formed to only increase the overall pitch of the prop this cupping will ALWAYS add lift. In effect this prop has a greater pitch/diameter ratio. Meaning the 1400 prop may now be a 1500, 1600, 1700 in terms of P/D ratio and the lift will increase with the P/D increase considering the Rake remains the same.

Note: when I reference 1400, 1500 I am not indicating that the prop will have the same lift characteristics as an Octura 1600, 1700 ect. Progression, rake have an effect on the lift and some series of Octura props that have higher P/D ratios actually have less lift than some of the Lower P/D props that Octura makes.

Octura 1200, 1400 series props would be considered low P/D ratio props. 1400 indicates that the pitch is 1.4 times greater than the diameter. Octura 1450- 1.4 X 50 mm = 70 mm = 2.75". Octura 2150 - 2.1 X 50 mm = 105 mm = 4.13".

Do to the differerences in progression and rake between these two props, the lift of each prop is not much different. On the other hand the 1450 and the X450 have the same P/D ratio of 1.4, but the lift characteristics of each prop is very different as most boaters have expericenced. Again, this is due to different progression and rake between the two props.

Now while it is possible to maintain mininmal lift while increasing P/D, it is not so easy to control prop walk as the P/D increases. This is the one of the reasons you need to change rudder trim with the different props Joe. There are two other things that will cause a need for extra rudder trim becuase of prop lift. 1. The higher ride hight if the prop will reduce the amount of rudder in the water, increasing the amount of propwalk. 2. The increased ride hight will change the attitude of the hull and turnfin causing it to pull more down force on the right front sponson. Both of these will depend on the sensitivtity of the hull. Some hulls (normally older less responsive designs), will never be effected in this way.

If the desired efffect is to have increased Pitch while maintaining the same or less lift when working with a prop, the rake and progression must be changed accordingly.

Note: Backcutting a prop to make it visually appear to have more rake does not actually change the rake at all. For some props backcutting will reduce lift simply because the highest pitch area of the blade is being removed. This is effectively reducing the P/D ratio which is really what reduces the lift.

To more simply address Joe's problem, the H-4, H-7 and cut & cupped 1450 all have a much higher P/D ratio than the stock 1450. If the 1450 (Ron's) is cut to 46 mm and cupped to 3.8" the P/D ratio of this prop is about 1.8. This is much more than the original 1.4. Again this higher P/D is causing extra lift that is blowing the the tramsom out of the water.

Now, when Joe runs the stock 1450 the transom stays planted, but speed is not what he wants, so he cups prop to increase pitch. The boat runs faster and the transom is still hooked up. So, we are asking why did this cupped 1450 with increased P/D ratio stay hooked up??? The answer is simple... The prop is heavier so it holds the transom in the water......just kidding LOL!

Because the prop is full bladed the engine can't pull it as easily as the other three smaller bladed props. Therefore, the cup that Joe was able to add was less than what are in the other three props. This means the prop still has a relativly low P/D. Also when Joe cupped the prop, he may have added the cup in such a way that he also added rake and effectively reduced lift while increasing P/D.

All three of the other props can be made to have the same lift as Joe's 1450.

They simply need to be cupped in a way that will maintain the desired pitch and reduce lift at the same time.

Not all hulls of the same type (rigger, tunnel, Vee, Cat) require the exact same prop lift.

When someone calls me for a rigger prop it is important for me to know who's rigger design. If it's a design that I have not previously cupped a prop for I may not hit it right the first time. This is one of the reasons I offer one FREE recupping.

If it comes from me I want it to be right. When I have a customer with a unique set up that I'm not sure about and the prop is totally the wrong one, I exchange the prop at no additional charge. The only bad thing about this is that I stay so busy, as most of you know, it takes a looooong time to get a prop from me.

Hope this helps.

Good Boating,

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
"The only bad thing about this is that I stay so busy, as most of you know, it takes a looooong time to get a prop from me."

And even longer when Andy spends this much time typing a reply! :lol: Just kidding! :p Great post Andy, I'm sure this sheds light on things for alot of people! B)

Great response Andy!!!! I appreciate your time and detail. I enjoyed the humor about the 1450 being heavier holding the transom in the water. That was good...

Ron

Good stuff Andy, especially for us "beginner boaters". :rolleyes:

A couple questions if you don't mind...

When cupping a prop, what does "curling" the leading edge from about half way from the root to tip do? How about cupping right at the tips, or making a "spoon" shape there? Don't these both reduce lift? How can you cup and not reduce lift?

Also, do you find that for all out speed (SAW) it's better to not cup at all and try to keep the high P/D props "hooked up" in other ways?

Give us some hints so we at least have a sporting chance... :lol:

Thanks Andy,

Your post has given me some more insight as to what is going on with those mysterious things that make our boats move!

Tim.

Shoboat im from Australia i can tell u maybe 1 or 2 .21riggers that are going 70mph same with the 45riggers would be lucky if any of them are 80mph.. so i dont no where u are getting those speeds from.

Aaron,

I am not making it up that is FOR SURE. I will tell you who in a few weeks

when they test the next batch of propellers. I don't talk trash believe me.

Aaron,when I say something I have proof to back it up. At Props-4-U we

don't have to B.S. people. Remember" Effort Equals Results " that is how

we do things here. :) :) :)

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Aaron,

Mark is telling you the truth - 21 riggers are that faaaasssstttttt over there. The water they run in is a lot better than what we put up with here and the class is ultra-competitive. Mark's props are very fast - I'll show you one at Finley. B) I'm running one of his smaller ones on the 21 rigger.

Mark,

Aaron run's SAW here in Aus and has run official 100mph passes. He has some seriously fast boats. His comments do have merit - most of the boats racing here are doing the speeds he mentioned, but in fairness to us Aussies - Points format Oval racing is by far the most common form of racing and in some states like where I am, we don't do SAW trials at all. Reliability is what it's all about.

Tim.

Mark, Tim

not bagging anyone im more then sure 21's are going that fast, what im saying i have'nt seen any in Oz doing them speeds in race trim. maybe im wrong will see next weekend at Finley champs. Mark i'ii be more than happy to try one of your props on my 21 rigger can i get a e-mail so i can get some props of u. let us no how the new batch of props go.

Aaron,

I have 2 of Mark's props - I will let you try one if you like. One is a 70mph prop.

Barrie Clarke's 21 rigger is aparently doing heat times comparable to X hydro at Hunter Valley. Roger has apparently run over 120Kph in testing for the worlds. Mine is yet to have a go against a gun or race on a measured course so I'm not certain on the speed. Still working out the bugs too.

Tim.

Terry Keeley said:
Bump for Andy when you get a chance...
:lol: That must be a trade secret type of question. The "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" type of question. Lots of people looking forward to a reply :D

You could always forward any "secret" emailed answers you get from Andy to me Terry! I don't mind one bit :D

Well Mr. Andy's a very busy man, and maybe he's not feeling so "sporting" these days... :D

I'm sure he'll give us something when he gets a chance, patience grasshopper. ;)

Hi Clay

Hope you have received the pics.

I've been running my sg45 using 1460 cup 4.1 with great results but 1655 cup 4.5 makes me faster around the course.Engine is a P45 black head 60% nitro and front set up at 3 degrees and strut at 1.0 degree for both props.

Gill

Back