3rd Channel Needles...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldlugs

Hey gang, I know that many people use a 3rd channel needle on all their boats these days, but are they really needed for club racing? Are they more or less important depending on engine size, like just as important on .21s as on .67s..? I'm trying to talk myself out of using one on a new 20 mono I'm building... Will I be sorry?

Thanks for your input!

Duane

Last race I lucked out with a good needle and had four perfect heats. On one heat the needle was a bit too lean and I couldn't do anything about it. At that time, I wish I had one. All my others have them installed.

It's kinda like sex, once you've had it you can't do without it. :lol:
OK then; I better set it up with the 3rd needle. What's the best one to use for a .21...? I'll need one that's small in size, and easy to move with a tiny servo (using hitec 65hb @ 30 oz-in torque). CMDI is apparently out of stock on theirs... What's the hot tip?

Duane

ron zaker raced for YEARS with out one on his boats.. now he uses them. A 3rd channel in MY opinon is a must. you can abuse it if not used right ( i know from to many ONE MORE CLICK lol. ) but all in all it is a must.

chris

Contact Ernie LaFleur. He's on the board as "ernie1".
He'll build you a great one.

I've had good luck with the bob voilet. Ive had bad luck with two tidewater fuel doctors (leaky and poor metering).

I recommend Ernies needles or the bob voilet. Haven't used any others.

Contact Ernie LaFleur. He's on the board as "ernie1".
He'll build you a great one.

I've had good luck with the bob voilet. Ive had bad luck with two tidewater fuel doctors (leaky and poor metering).

I recommend Ernies needles or the bob voilet. Haven't used any others.
The Ferrette needle base works great, and is low profile. Uses the OS remote mixture control that just screws into the base. Richard D

There are two excellent 3rd channel needles to use:

1) OS Max

2) Kalistratov

The OS Max can be setup as a remote & the entire assembly is available from Aeromarine Laminates.

The Kalistratov is also a remote & you can contact Alan Hobbs who sells them.

We used the Kalistratov in our 21 because of space limitations. the needle seats in a delran sleeve & does not wear out whle the OS assembly requires you to change the o-rings on the needle every few seasons.

On our other size engines, we use OS Carbs & the remote screws directly into the carb.

While the 3rd channel is essential to any good running nitro boat - no matter what size engine - you should also invest in a good flow meter. Once you get your optimum setting you can record it on your flow meter & when you go to the lake the next time or go for that 3rd or 4th heat at the end of a day when the temperatue has changed - you will be right on the money by setting yur needle to the previously recorded setting.. you can always tweak the 3rd channel while running but the flow meter will always put you in the right ballpark.

So; which one do I want for a .21...?

I would HIGHLY reccomend the Ferette base with the OS needle. Be SURE to use the needle (you get 2 different needles with the kit) with the small groove on the knurles top. It is much finer taper and will work superb. I have been using this needle exclusively for MANY years. You need to replace the o rings every couple years.

For the larger engines this is till a fine assy, but you need to modify it a little. Check the past tech notes on my site for the directions to the modification. (you don't need to do any modifications for use on a .21, only for the .67 and larger engines)

Marty Davis

I would HIGHLY reccomend the Ferrette base with the OS needle. Be SURE to use the needle (you get 2 different needles with the kit) with the small groove on the knurles top. It is much finer taper and will work superb. I have been using this needle exclusively for MANY years. You need to replace the o rings every couple years.

For the larger engines this is till a fine assy, but you need to modify it a little. Check the past tech notes on my site for the directions to the modification. (you don't need to do any modifications for use on a .21, only for the .67 and larger engines)

Marty Davis
BIG thanks for the kind words Marty. :)

There are now over 100 of the bases out there in use & so far everyone seems very happy with them. I do offer two different bases, the 21/45 & the 67/up. What Marty says about the bigger motors is absolutely correct on the direct applications of the OS remote needle in the OS carbs like the 9B. The base I have for the bigger motors is done specifically for the higher flow demand of the big motors without having the adjustment being too coarse. On the 21 & 45 motors you use the needle with the groove in the knurled end & on the 67 & bigger motors you use the needle without the groove. B)

Last edited by a moderator:

I would HIGHLY reccomend the Ferrette base with the OS needle. Be SURE to use the needle (you get 2 different needles with the kit) with the small groove on the knurles top. It is much finer taper and will work superb. I have been using this needle exclusively for MANY years. You need to replace the o rings every couple years.

Marty Davis
BIG thanks for the kind words Marty. :)

There are now over 100 of the bases out there in use & so far everyone seems very happy with them. I do offer two different bases, the 21/45 & the 67/up. What Marty says about the bigger motors is absolutely correct on the direct applications of the OS remote needle in the OS carbs like the 9B. The base I have for the bigger motors is done specifically for the higher flow demand of the big motors without having the adjustment being too coarse. On the 21 & 45 motors you use the needle with the groove in the knurled end & on the 67 & bigger motors you use the needle without the groove. B)
Don:

The .67 and larger engines like the shallow taper needle as well, but you must make a small modification. You must counterbore the top of the brass piece a little so that the needle goes in further. If you do that, with that needle, you get a VERY gradual adjustment and it works super on the large engines.

Marty Davis

Don:
The .67 and larger engines like the shallow taper needle as well, but you must make a small modification. You must counterbore the top of the brass piece a little so that the needle goes in further. If you do that, with that needle, you get a VERY gradual adjustment and it works super on the large engines.

Marty Davis
How far is "a little"? :)

Just got one of Don's needles and can't wait to try it in my hydro.. Been running without 3rd channel the whole time. Very possible to run that way. 3rd channel can get you into trouble if you get greedy!!

Charley

Don:

Marty Davis
How far is "a little"? :)
3/32" or so, larger than the OD of the largest part of the needle body. It allows the needle to be able to plunge a little deeper and keeps the plastic part from stripping if forced without the counterbore.

Marty Davis

Back