3 blade prop Vs. 2 blade prop

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Atwell

Lets have all you prop experts chime in.

Whats the benefits of 3 bladed props compared to 2 bladed props. or 2 bladed prop benefits compared to 3 bladed. I asked my dad and brother, but they didnt know for sure, but knowing IW, there's someone bound to be able to give a good explanation.

Thanks,

Brandon

I've read the other 3 blade, 2 blade post, but i was wanting more explanation, like how well they perform on tunnel hulls, and what are the best props, how you could go about cutting one etc. Not exactly looking for one, just a mental note.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no expert, But i've always prefered 3 blade over 2 blade- Sometimes one cannot find a 3 Blade in the pitch/diameter they desire. It would be best if you tell the folks on this forum exactly what boat/motor you are running. I think you will get more accurate feedback.

Glenn

I'm no expert, But i've always prefered 3 blade over 2 blade- Sometimes one cannot find a 3 Blade in the pitch/diameter they desire. It would be best if you tell the folks on this forum exactly what boat/motor you are running. I think you will get more accurate feedback.

Glenn
Thanks, i did not think about that.

The motor is a Novarossi .46 and a Hornet tunnel. With a K&B lower unit.

also, a lynx and O.S. combination.

Thank you Glenn,

Brandon.

2 bladed props always gave more top end, boat gets squirrely in the turns when top end is too high...good for low boat count/smooth water

3 bladed prop had slightly lower top end, but the boat handled better...great for 6 boat heats wen the water gets chopped up with holes everywhere

What I use for the Hornet, 1450/ 2 blade with some work (back cut, pitch). The Lynx, 1440/2 blade with some work also. Mark S / Props4U can hook you up. There are others that do props too, but he is the one that I can think of at the moment.

Last edited:
2 bladed props always gave more top end, boat gets squirrely in the turns when top end is too high...good for low boat count/smooth water

3 bladed prop had slightly lower top end, but the boat handled better...great for 6 boat heats wen the water gets chopped up with holes everywhere
So 3 blade props give better handling and 2 blade give more top end? Interesting, i would have thought that 3 blade would ive more top end because you have a prop blade constantly in the water. Very interesting info to know.

Thanks Lennard,

Brandon

What I use for the Hornet, 1450/ 2 blade with some work (back cut, pitch). The Lynx, 1440/2 blade with some work also. Mark S / Props4U can hook you up. There are others that do props too, but he is the one that I can think of at the moment.
Alright, someone mentioned that to me before, but I didnt think about it before, I'll keep Mark in mind.

Thanks,

Brandon

A 3 blade also gives you better acceleration but like everyone says they don't have the legs a 2 blade does. I know if I'm on a really big course the 2 blade for sure.

Brandon,

Actually the number of blades don't really matter: two, three, four, or more.

The actual pitch, cup, blade area ratio, and diameter all play an important part

in your selection of a propeller for your tunnel hull. The amount of power and RPM

From your motor and pipe combination also play a big part in your selection process.

Three blades do have a portion of the blade in the water at most times, but I have seen

plenty of fast boats running both three and two blades. One of the most important set up

lessons is the height level that you run your propeller depth at. .7 radii is one of the most

Important lessons of propeller set up you will ever use on your boat. More to come later.

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

brandon..

info i posted was based on results of hours, days, weeks, months, years of testing....confirmed with radar, many competitive heats (im not here to lie or obfuscate information about setup...rofl)

pm me if you want specs on props/pitch/blade area etc

mark, my quotes tool is messed up. But in saying what you said, what do you prefer out of the props you've tried and have given/ sold to people to test or use? We now use only 2 blade props, but I was wanting to test and try something different after me and my dad and bro got my boats tuned in. Thanks for the info Mark.

And Lennard, I'll shoot you a PM later. Going off somewhere now, but I'll get it out.

Thanks guys,

Brandon.

That's what I've come up with also.

TL

I was looking at a prop really to try on my .40 tunnel first. But if I had liked my 40 tunnel with it, moving one on to my .20 tunnel was probably going to happen.

Thanks Greg,

Brandon.

Brandon,

A 45 tunnel will like a pitched up X-447/3 or a reduced diameter

X-450/3. These will run Very Well on a 45 tunnel. 48mm seems

To be the right diameter for a 45 tunnel set up unless you are running

your motor up pretty high out of the water. I would think a 46 Nova can

Run a X-450/3 without any trouble what so ever.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Brandon,

A 45 tunnel will like a pitched up X-447/3 or a reduced diameter

X-450/3. These will run Very Well on a 45 tunnel. 48mm seems

To be the right diameter for a 45 tunnel set up.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund
Sweet, just what I needed Mark!

Thanks,

Brandon

Brandon,

Actually the number of blades don't really matter: two, three, four, or more.

The actual pitch, cup, blade area ratio, and diameter all play an important part

in your selection of a propeller for your tunnel hull. The amount of power and RPM

From your motor and pipe combination also play a big part in your selection process.

Three blades do have a portion of the blade in the water at most times, but I have seen

plenty of fast boats running both three and two blades. One of the most important set up

lessons is the height level that you run your propeller depth at. .7 radii is one of the most

Important lessons of propeller set up you will ever use on your boat. More to come later.

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund
Excuse an noob. Whats about that .7 radii? Is that the measurement for the mounting of the prop axle?

Thx

Latest posts

Back