3.5cc Tunnel World Record Holder.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"There isn't a record in the book that can't be broken if someone is willing to expend the effort to do it."
Rod, well put & the absolute truth! Just to remind you ( because I know you know ;) ) Tommy's 21 tunnel record was broken last year by Jimmy Johnson. ( 66.17 ) that is just a tick faster than KP ran. All records are made to be broken, Tommy's just took forever & a day! Great job KP :)

Don :)
Don.........OPPS! :) Believe it or not I meant to mention Jimmies record in my reply to Walt just to try to start the competitive juices flowing between IMPBA and NAMBA.

Hell if we do this right the 3.5 mod tunnel record might be over 80 before we know it. ;) :D

Rod

Rod,

With people like JJ & KP running tunnels ( an anything else ) speeds of 80+ are not far away. LET THE JUICES FLOW!!!!!

Don :)

Just curious... are these 3.5cc tunnels approximately a "standard" size, or are these larger/smaller tunnels that one would normally run for heat racing??

80mph in any RC boat is pretty amazing... in a tunnel is quite spectacular...

If you guys are getting these kinds of speeds for a SAW boat with a nitro motor... I wonder how far a similiar hull could be pushed with FE power... ;)

Darin, the hull used in this instance was a normal Lyn x hull. The same one used for heat racing.

~James

Darin, the hull used in this instance was a normal Lyn x hull. The same one used for heat racing.
~James
Thanks James... that good to know... Perhaps I'll have to look into seeing what I can make a really good hull do with a decent FE power system... have a lot to learn about tuning a tunnel, but I think I may know a thing or two about powering one... I may have just the tunnel to try this on! (what do you think Rod??? ;) )

B)

~James
Yup,

And I think the "Lynx" is 28" long too.

But the aero package on that hull is superb.

I know when mine double stages, you can see the nose drop from the down force over the front sponsons,the tail kicks and it's like you just kicked in a stage of nitrous, it lays down so..... pretty and it's gone.

What a little rocket. It's a BAD fast boat!!!

Yup,And I think the "Lynx" is 28" long too.

Yah.. I've seen one of those up close and they are nice boats... Problem with doing one for FE is the cowl area is just REALLY small, so there isn't a lot of room for the batteries... I'm thinking that an FE application may need some different parameters because of the additional weight, but I may be wrong... Only one way to find out... ;)

Yup,And I think the "Lynx" is 28" long too.

Yah.. I've seen one of those up close and they are nice boats... Problem with doing one for FE is the cowl area is just REALLY small, so there isn't a lot of room for the batteries... I'm thinking that an FE application may need some different parameters because of the additional weight, but I may be wrong... Only one way to find out... ;)
Darin,

The cowl area is very narrow.

And I really don't think they're the best heat boats unless you can and want to drive on the edge.

I know I can't.

I'm curious to see how your project comes out anyway. It should be interesting.

You have a much larger area inside to play with.

Good luck.

And KP,

sorry for briefly stealing your thread. ;) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Tommy did very well to have a record for 12 years. And no, .835mph is not exactly slamming the record. But the thing is that KP did this from start to finish in probably 12 hours. 24 at the most. This includes building the boat. I do not think anybody can turn a Frank Orlic Novarossi like KP. The 21 records kind of show that.

Damit Preston would you please tell Kently to stop already, Frank (or soon to be Mr Orlic) is becoming difficult enough to be around LOL.

Great job guy's.

Tim K

Video is available on DVD for $24.99.

Frank's engines really seem to like that tetra nitro stuff. It really set Don's twin on fire as well. Or was it hydrazyne? I forgot???

As long as Mr. Orlic is getting pumped up........thanks for the work on the NR .12! Now it is Sir Orlic.

Guys,

I will clear up a few things, KP is having computer problems. This all started a few months ago when KP called me to talk about tunnels and what it would take to go fast. He talked to a few people to see what it would take, he built a boat and started testing. Kentley was trying to beark 3 records with 1 boat ( a stock heat racing boat) and 2 1/2 motors, B Tunnel, C Tunnel, and B Stock Tunnel. The record trials were crazy. Friday and Saturday was Very Windy, we set up around noon and waited on the wind all day, just before dark the wind calmed down but was still puffy and Kentley went out for a run and made several R to L passes over 70 mph but could not back it up because of the wind and the boat blew off and broke the steering servo and broke the throttle out of the radio box. We did not have enough light left to fix the boat.

Sunday,

Our day started at 4:00am, Cold 30 deg. and heavy frost but no wind. When we get to the pond it was covered with fog and we could not get the sensors to work through the fog so we had to wait. By the time we got the sensors working a lite breeze was coming down the pond. kentley went out and made several record passes R to L but the boat would blow off going L to R. When the boat blew off at 70+ something would break everytime, we broke steering and throttle servos, broke HD servo horns in half. The motor mount (PB) could not stand hitting the water that hard and moved everytime so the boat would have to be setup everytime it blew off the water and landed on the motor. By 10:30 Kentley broke the B Tunnel record, he could have worked on it all day to get it over 70+mph but he still had 2 more records to breaks. We pulled the B power head for inspection, after inspection we built the C power head because we only had 1 crank and 1 PTO. Kentley made several record passes with the C Tunnel, blew off and broke some more stuff, had to reset the motor several times. When we started the C Tunnel for another run the prop shaft backed out and the #1 prop was destroyed when it hit the water pickup tube. After looking it over, the prop shaft was bent that is why it backed out and destroyed the prop. We pulled the C Motor and lower and set up for the OS Stock motor. Kentley made several record passes with the OS but could not back it up because of a lite breeze and the #1 prop was destroyed. His OS is wicked, it sounds better than most piped motors. This was all done in 1 day and when Kentley had notting else to do, he ran that little toy rigger of his and made some 90+mph passes.

For the Record, The boat weighed 6 1/2 lbs and it was a Stock Heat Racing Boat.

It was Fun and we are Not Done B) ,

Happy Boating,

Bill Bigelow

The .mpg file is 60mb. I guess it needs to be reduced in size so I can at least email?

Help

Guys,
I will clear up a few things, KP is having computer problems. This all started a few months ago when KP called me to talk about tunnels and what it would take to go fast. He talked to a few people to see what it would take, he built a boat and started testing. Kentley was trying to beark 3 records with 1 boat ( a stock heat racing boat) and 2 1/2 motors, B Tunnel, C Tunnel, and B Stock Tunnel. The record trials were crazy. Friday and Saturday was Very Windy, we set up around noon and waited on the wind all day, just before dark the wind calmed down but was still puffy and Kentley went out for a run and made several R to L passes over 70 mph but could not back it up because of the wind and the boat blew off and broke the steering servo and broke the throttle out of the radio box. We did not have enough light left to fix the boat.

Sunday,

Our day started at 4:00am, Cold 30 deg. and heavy frost but no wind. When we get to the pond it was covered with fog and we could not get the sensors to work through the fog so we had to wait. By the time we got the sensors working a lite breeze was coming down the pond. kentley went out and made several record passes R to L but the boat would blow off going L to R. When the boat blew off at 70+ something would break everytime, we broke steering and throttle servos, broke HD servo horns in half. The motor mount (PB) could not stand hitting the water that hard and moved everytime so the boat would have to be setup everytime it blew off the water and landed on the motor. By 10:30 Kentley broke the B Tunnel record, he could have worked on it all day to get it over 70+mph but he still had 2 more records to breaks. We pulled the B power head for inspection, after inspection we built the C power head because we only had 1 crank and 1 PTO. Kentley made several record passes with the C Tunnel, blew off and broke some more stuff, had to reset the motor several times. When we started the C Tunnel for another run the prop shaft backed out and the #1 prop was destroyed when it hit the water pickup tube. After looking it over, the prop shaft was bent that is why it backed out and destroyed the prop. We pulled the C Motor and lower and set up for the OS Stock motor. Kentley made several record passes with the OS but could not back it up because of a lite breeze and the #1 prop was destroyed. His OS is wicked, it sounds better than most piped motors. This was all done in 1 day and when Kentley had notting else to do, he ran that little toy rigger of his and made some 90+mph passes.

For the Record, The boat weighed 6 1/2 lbs and it was a Stock Heat Racing Boat.

It was Fun and we are Not Done B) ,

Happy Boating,

Bill Bigelow

GREAT JOB GUYS! The L Y N X is being manufactured by a new builder now. Info available soon.

Carl Van Houten

Ok guys. If anyone has any doubts that Kentley can make a .21 scream like no other, watch this video.

This is the one way pass just over 74mph. Had the problem going left to right because of the wind.... But **** she was screaming.

Congrats again to Kentley.

Turn up the sound:

~James

Back