3.5 Tunnel SAW record

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RCboats.

Good point..i still beleave that sharp is the way to go..however at the 2002 internats i had the chance to look over a Tommy Lee built 7.5 hull and it had a sharp right sponson and .185"R on the left.. I still have not tryed to understand this.

Rod can you help here...Tommy can you clarify? Mitchel Harper had the boat.. I must say that the cowl on this boat was a work of art..

Mike

Boo Pa Boo, Boo Boo Pa Boo

Rocker is not neat.....WeeOuu

It smells like stinky feet....Scratcha Scratcha

If speed is the need.....WeeOuu

Sand em flat till your fingers bleed.....Scratcha Scratcha

Less frontal is not just for show......WeeOuu

Its the way to make em go.......Scratcha Scratcha

WORD!

Somebody stop me............ :wacko: :D

Last edited by a moderator:
:D Tunnel rap Dude!!!!

I hate paint ! But I find the thinner very envigorating :lol:

Slideblues said:
Boo Pa Boo, Boo Boo Pa Boo
Rocker is not neat.....WeeOuu

It smells like stinky feet....Scratcha  Scratcha

If speed is the need.....WeeOuu

Sand em flat till your fingers bleed.....Scratcha  Scratcha

Less frontal is not just for show......WeeOuu

Its the way to make em go.......Scratcha  Scratcha

WORD!

Somebody stop me............  :wacko:   :D
LMFAO

Gener...i can see you slaping the face of that Les paul (i realy dont know one gutair from another) raping away.. :D

Grim

I am going to the IMPBA record trials this month in Huntsville Alabama. Is anyone else going? I'm going to take a shot at B tunnel and C hydro.

Hey Mikie!!!

Grandma said it was a gift..........Dad said, Dat boy is touched in tha head....... :lol:

Not me Bob, I'm still workin on my oval boat,

Gene :D

I made a big mistake when I made my last post and I assumed that everybody knew what I was trying to say.We are saying the same things but semantics and definitions are getting in the way,so I'll define what I mean by rocker,flat and displacement.

If you define a constant curve from the tip of the sponson to the back of the sponson as rocker you are absolutely right the boat will ride very nose high.

What I [and Tommy] settled out at was a nice gentle radius from the front of the sponson to about 7-8"" from the back of a 25" boat.The last 7-8" of the sponson are set dead flat to the back of the boat at about 1 to 1-1/2 degrees positive off the parallel at the CG.Call me wierd but that is what I called that a "bit" of rocker.

What we called flat was dead flat for 15-16" of the sponson length.These boats are a ***** to drive and also have to ride nose high to run fast.

Displacement is nothing more than the ability for the boat to support itself in water [specific gravity of 1.0] .The dihedral of the sponson determines a controlled sink rate through displacement so the inside of the sponson can be used as a turn fin.

I don't know any better way to describe this so I am done talking about it.

Displacement is the reason why a battleship that weighs 20 zillion tons will float.

Some day if you don't understand this and you see me at a race I will be glad to sit down and draw you some sketches to show you how this works.

It is an absolute shame that most of you never got so see Tommy Lee drive a 26" XTR-21 with a Nova Rossi when he was at the top of his game.[and I don't care what the water was like]

You would have witnessed what is meant by running a 3.5 mod tunnel with a throttle.

Just take a look at the IMPBA record book and you will get a hint what I mean.

I will elaborate on Rods comments about Tommys record runs he made here in Huntsville. The engine second staged on the pipe to give him outstanding RPM, which is rarely heard or believed by some racers. Tommy has the keen ability to select ALL the right ingredients for record runs. His engines "unload" during the run, meaning that prop, setup, pipe, water, air, driving, come together in concert. Very rarely does anyone witness a run of this caliber with an outboard. Nowadays everyone wants to see how big a prop they can run, and they bog the engine, but at time trials the engines the engines really rev. Our props are designed for RPM. Next time you are at a race, listen to the engine of the winning boat and really make a mental note, it might surprise you!!

John in Huntsville

Rod

I had a feeling we were on the same page some how but wave length was all screwed up...hehehe

Anyway what rod said is the same thing i said... and what i said was what rod confirmed.. What Tommy did was what rod said and what...Aha...thats enough... :blink:

Thanks Rod..

Mike Z

Nothing like a pipe that two stages. Only done it a few times with my 3.5 mono, but it wants to get up and go once it two stages. One hell of a sweet sound too. Wish I could get more boats to that magical spot.

Mike

You just had to rub that in, didn't you? Sure runs good for a couple of laps, then a turd. I think it might be over heating. I am going to try and restrict the water at the exit some. The way the nipple was snapped at the head, I believe that there might no be enough back pressure at the head. It would seem possible that the water on exit could vaporize as it coming out. Maybe the water is not making good contact with the head before it exits. We will see. I put a new nipple back on. This should cause some restriction. As I think about it, I don't seem to recall having this problem until I was run over in Montana, taking the nipple off.

Mike

Back on the topic of SAW,I ran my boat this weekend to get it ready. I am using my heat-racing hull with the engine raised 1/8". My best engine so far,has been the Mac. I am running a modified (cut down,pitched up) X645. The motor pulls it quite easily once it is on the pipe. I am running an old pipe that I added a muffler to. I cut off the cavitation plate and put one on top of the original.

Bob,

Come on you can tell us what speed you got up to :eek: ... How did your Serio motor work for you? I wish you good luck at the TT... Bill

The Sirio motor had a bearing failure! I caught it before any damage occured. I will have to be quiet about my speed so far,don't want to jinx my record chances. I will post pics after I get back from record trials.

My other SAW boat is an Eagle SG with special front sponsons,no rear outer sponsons and a Sirio 27 engine. My goal with this monster is 100mph.

Latest posts

Back