3.5 Tunnel SAW record

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slideblues

Hey Guy's

I have been kickin dis here horse fer a while now, and switched back to oval cause Im out of ideas.

So question is what it gonna take, ya need a two way average over 64 to even come close. I really am puzzled at the fact that the current IMPBA record has stood as long as it has. Tunnel design is changin and frankly I dont know if there is a power head out there to do it or not, CMB, Rossi or Nova.

Tunnel hull wise a std design aint gonna do it, Hydroized sponsons? Ultra lite ?

What cha think Hull and Engine wise, Pipe, Prop, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got one to 63 once, But I tore the boat up try'n to repeat the run,

I do know its gonna take a heavy chunk o change for a capable powerhead,

Gene :D

some of these new ABC props might be just what the doctor ordered. i'm a big believer in having a good prop.

Let's just say, we're working on it. What's it going to take? The right everything, including the right day. More info to follow in the future. I can't vouch for anything, but from what I have read, that IMBPA 3.5 record was set with a boat that was a sort of hydro/tunnel hybrid. Maybe looks like a tunnel and has everything to keep it within the tunnel hull design specifications, but runs like a hydro. I heard the same was true of the 7.5 record. The fact that we were able to go 71.22 2 way and over 75 one way with a real tunnel boat, running like a tunnel boat gave us a great sense of accomplishment. Can anybody bring us up to speed on the boat design Tommy used for his record? I heard it needed a turn fin to run around in circles.

Tom, Yeah the new line of ABC does look promissing ;)

Chris, I have seen a pic of Tommy's 7.5 record boat, had a huge fin on the right sponson, But have never seen the 3.5 boat, Anyone have any more specs ?

Gene :D

I have the video of Tommys 3.5 record run...

You can see the back of the boat in the video but all looks normal.. I have herd all the storys of the boat being half hydro and half tunnel but it Tunnel all the way.

the turn fin is nothing new...i have raced with Tommy and seen the turn fin on his boat 7.5/11cc..hull Its a CD machine .062" SS fin. Just like the one Kathy P runs on her current XTR21.

now let me see that video agian...how can i get that on the net?

Grim

A real slippery boat. A lot of Horsepower. And a prop so sharp and thin that it loses about an inch of pitch after 4 or 5 passes!! :lol: :lol:

Re: Length of SAW 3.5

Just my opinion, but I think it's going to take 30" - 32" of overall length to handle the power. As Chris mentioned, it's also going to take almost ideal conditions.

JD

Thanks Paul, those are the pics I was talkin about ;)

Grim, Man I would be happy with just a few still's from the the vid,

Just to see the 3.5 boat :D

Boaters,

It will take a perfect setup,and ideal water and air conditions. As far as a prop

a X-440 is really 40mm X 56mm so that would have to be pitched up quite a

bit to make a record run. If I was trying: A 1516=38mm x 63mm or A 1518=

38mm X 71mm. If you really have a STRONG motor I would try a 1618= 41mm X

75mm.All of them would need to be thin and polished like a mirror. We are going

after the 100 MPH record in a XLS-Hydro in a month down in Georgia. We have a

few "KILLER BLADES" for that record,I just hope the motor can do it's job! We will

be pushing the envelope of SPEED this year here at Props-4-U.

Just An Idea Fellas, :rolleyes:

Mark Sholund

In Sport or Stock class are you allowed to sharpen and polish the lower unit? Does this help as much as it does in say a riggers turn fin?

Mark thanks for the specs, Excellent!!!! ;)

BTW Gang, It was Marks H-4, That I went 63+ with :D

Russell , I usually polish from the cav plate down :)

Latest posts

Back