3.5 outboards aussi

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea. Any way we can (1) increase participation at race events, and (2) reduce numbers of classes whilst increasing numbers in said class is a win - win situation. I'd prefer to race in a class with 10+ boats entered than 5.
A O/B Tunnel is fairly strong now and got sufficient entries at most sanctioned events in the last 12-18 months, but B O/B tunnel has struggled, and anything else has been non - existent with the 5 boat rule being in place. There are a few E O/B tunnels out there that currently have to run in Open Electric - this Open O/B class would suit them.

The only stipulation I'd put on it would be no cross entering a boat into another class.

Tim.
I personally think the cross entry rule sux. There is othing better than a smaller boat blowing off on off the big guns. Just my 2 cents worth

Paul,

I know what you are saying. Problem is it opens a can of worms for other classes if cross entering is allowed. This would make it very hard to pass a vote should it come to that as it has to be voted on by the whole membership, not just us tunnel racers.

One advantage to keeping cross entering out is that A O/B tunnel would naturally become more of a "sport tunnel" class as the modified A's would enter open in the hopes of "blowing off the big guns" as you said. I'd dare say that's part of MJ's plan so he can run his Stock OS in A and the Novarossi in Open. I'd imagine you would do the same with the Villain in A and the Nemesis in Open.

Hi Guys, I would like to socialize an idea around our current outboard classes.
Currently we run 2 classes.

A/OB Tunnel (in any .21 engine configuration, stock, sport or mod) and .

B/OB Tunnel (any .22 to .45 engine configuration, stock, sport or mod).

Clearly the A/OB class is the premier class in Australia, B/OB may get anywhere from 0-5 entries.

I have been thinking about the possibility of perhaps a new class, OPEN O/B Tunnel.

The rules are simple, run anything as long as the hull is a tunnel and the engine is an outboard. Nitro, Gas or Electric.

We currently have rules that forbid cross entry of the same boat in 2 classes, I believe that's a good rule and should stand.

We may have to think about sacrificing the B/OB class, but those boats could run in the open class, along with the electrics and gassers.

What are your thoughts?

Be Kind to Me Guys.

MJ
Hi

I think that would be a good idea so that there just isnt 3 or 4 in a class, even thou i am not aloud to race until i finish building our house :( :( :(

Only problem is i need to find a tunnel boat for new 13cc kaaboom.

Already have my 7.5mod semipro almost finished

Just one other question,

I have a ts2 with a mac and lawless as power oohh plus a sailsbury pipe (infact its Dave's old boat)

I am in the process of making a few adjustments and cannot seem to get the motor with 0 degree angle.

I have set the height at 1/16 above running surface (is this about right?)

But i cannot seem to be able to level the motor.

Am i doing somthing wrong or should i run it with a little neg angle?

Jason

Jason

I had shims on the transon when i had it and therw was a fixed KB needle on the side of the case!

chat soon

Dave

Thanks Dave

I have put a K&B 7.5 neddle on for the moment.

Just run it before on the bench to set, 2 turns out and spittin fuel.

I think i will leave it at that till i get to the lake.

I also have a K&B 3.5 needle That migh be better.

Off to the lake tonight if it doesn't rain.

Thanks again for sending me the carby, Have you seen your old one yet?

If not i will ring the person if you want.

Jason

Paul,I know what you are saying. Problem is it opens a can of worms for other classes if cross entering is allowed. This would make it very hard to pass a vote should it come to that as it has to be voted on by the whole membership, not just us tunnel racers.

One advantage to keeping cross entering out is that A O/B tunnel would naturally become more of a "sport tunnel" class as the modified A's would enter open in the hopes of "blowing off the big guns" as you said. I'd dare say that's part of MJ's plan so he can run his Stock OS in A and the Novarossi in Open. I'd imagine you would do the same with the Villain in A and the Nemesis in Open.
Tim that rule sux across the board you know my 45 would blow away most 67's any many 90's what a way to get people excited than when a small boat blows away the big guns. Iknow I also drive the big ones but somtimes it would be good to take just 1 boat and run many classes

I like the Idea of taking my 2 boats to the USA and being able to run them in at least 5 different classes (total of both) makes the long trip REALLY worth it.

my 2cents

BTW MJ, OPEN OB class sounds great to me!!

Kris

I had this whole message typed out about cross entering, but I thought it best to delete it and just focus on the Original idea raised by MJ.

The only downside I see to it is that B O/B tunnel guys would suddenly have more competition. The advantage however would be that the class would be pretty much guarentee'd as it should get sufficient numbers at every event.

Have a good weekend guys.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
MJ,

You have opened a huge can of worms thinking about running cross classes. electric, nitro, gas.

I like racing other boat, but there are some electric rules for AUS that are being worked on and i think OBTunnels is going to be in there for their own class. That would rock, and as such, if that ever got off the ground then i could not enter the boat into the open class to run with gas nitro. And it works the other way. As Paul said, cross entering sux. But i can see why it is not in AMPBA. Imagine how long it would take to get through all the rounds at events.

I know if i had a 3.5 mono, Id enter that in A, B, ... etc. Would get whopped in some classes, bat at least i'd get to run my boat heaps on the weekend. Imagine if everyone did that. Would have to take a week to run what is now a 3 day event. Not that a week of boating would be bad... LOL.

Go back 18 months when i asked to run my electric tunnel with the 3.5s at hunter valley. Answer was NO from pretty much all the tunnel guys on this forum. That was fair enough, but now a back flip... I feel at club days, boats can/will/should race in mixed engine type (with limitations), but honestly if there was a open tunnel class only, whats stopping a die hard nitro guy saying at the next event, i'm entering my 3.5 hydro with the Electric Sport hydro class. You would never be able to stop the back lash. As i said firstly - HUGE can of worms.

Million $ question... Would i be able to run my tunnel with the B OB tunnels at BOTB?

David

Well......................it sure as hell aint coming to W.A. :lol: :lol: :lol: ..................I'm going to retrain myself to drive one after not driving one for many moons.............no better place to learn than at open practice (Stay out of my way boys).

Will all be fun

Johno

BotB is not far away now folks - who's going to win the trophy this year? I'm betting it stays in NSW.
hey guys finaly back on lol been realy busy lately but cant wait for bob whos going an i think the trophy will be comen down 2 vic this year

laters dion

LOL!! Sorry but theres no competition from South OZ this year! But watch out for the firefighter 21 riggers! Especially the PINK one!

enjoy guys, i will catch up with you all as soon as work settles and I can free up time for some boating. Hoping for the Nats but if not it will be the country champs and the hunter valley champs.

my Frank Orlic rigger has finally arived after a very long wait and there is already a nova rossi fitted!!

enjoy

Dave

James

The next Race meet is BOB07 entered are 14 A outboards not bad for us over here,

I also know of at least another 6-8 from our club not going as well as others so

realistic around 20 or so maybe a few more.

Dont forget the big Gas outboards they wont be far away either 3 running now.

Greg

Man I wish I could be at BotB but have other commitments unfortunately. Entry list;

3.5 A Outboard

1.Michael "JOHNO" Johnson - 36/150

2.Jamie Anderson - 29/865

3.Brenton Delrayne - 40/610

4.Richard "MR INSANE" Simonsen - 29/885

5.Louise "LADY FLYNN" Harris - 27/05

6.Kris Flynn - 36/390

7.Greg Mortlock - 29/26

8.Gino Rateni - 29/14

9.Jason Sagaidak - 36/010

10.Doug Wright - 29/10

11.David Moyle - 29/825

12.Mark Johnston - 27/07

13. Dion "SMS" Vella - 36/130

14.Craig Murphy - 26/995

MBCofNSW memebers in Bold and Italic. I'd like to think the odd's of one of our guys winning are pretty good!

I think we have about 15 3.5 O/B tunnels just at our club now Greg. Could be more!

Hey Tim

I think your right and hopefully a few more to come.

Guys theres also a few pics of the Gas Outboard

in my gallery freshly painted came out OK ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I wish I could be at BotB but have other commitments unfortunately. Entry list;
3.5 A Outboard

1.Michael "JOHNO" Johnson - 36/150

2.Jamie Anderson - 29/865

3.Brenton Delrayne - 40/610

4.Richard "MR INSANE" Simonsen - 29/885

5.Louise "LADY FLYNN" Harris - 27/05

6.Kris Flynn - 36/390

7.Greg Mortlock - 29/26

8.Gino Rateni - 29/14

9.Jason Sagaidak - 36/010

10.Doug Wright - 29/10

11.David Moyle - 29/825

12.Mark Johnston - 27/07

13. Dion "SMS" Vella - 36/130

14.Craig Murphy - 26/995

MBCofNSW memebers in Bold and Italic. I'd like to think the odd's of one of our guys winning are pretty good!

I think we have about 15 3.5 O/B tunnels just at our club now Greg. Could be more!
Don't worry about the joker in red he's a tunny racing virgin from the other side of the desert :lol: :lol: You will just have to worry about him being in the way whe you lap him :p

Back