3.5 outboards aussi

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Work is sooo boring this time of year!

So how are the projects going guys?

Greg some pics of your new out board??

Tim that goes for you too

Kesso what are you up to at the moment?

Hi Guys! I hope you all had a great Christmas.

I've been pretty busy these past few months with house, kids, new job etc, but have just managed to start getting back in to some tunnel testing. I've also been slowly building the next and hopefully last Breakthrough test hull. Here's a couple of pics of the centre section coming together:

IMG_0223.JPGIMG_0225.JPGIMG_0226.JPGIMG_0227.JPGIMG_0228.JPG

I've been learning a lot in my recent testing.

Surface finish on the bottom of the sponsons is incredibly important - spraypaint straight off the gun has way too much drag for my hull and caused a nasty bounce. Sanded with 800 grit made it much slipperier in the water and has made the handling better than ever.

Servo strength is critical. The more the better. I've ended up with a Futaba S9156, and it's fantastic. Double the torque of what I was running, and it sure makes a difference! Holds the line in the corners very well.

Negative angle on the motor makes a huge difference too. Currently I'm running 1.7 degrees, and it's really stable in the rough, still fast, and coupled with the sanding treatment on the sponsons, corners great. A very good heat racing setup I think.

There'll be lots more learning to come from future testing. I've got a bunch of different props to test yet. First and foremost I'm loving getting out on the water and driving again!

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey do any of you guys ever hear from or see Greg Mortlock aka GMorty. I baught a couple of drives from him a couple of years ago and need some parts for them.

Hey do any of you guys ever hear from or see Greg Mortlock aka GMorty. I baught a couple of drives from him a couple of years ago and need some parts for them.
Yeap great bloke!

He hasn't raced much of late due to sporting commitments with his kids.

I'll send him a text if you like and let him know your looking for him.

Bryan

Happy New Year guys

Has anyone tried the Rossi 45 outboard from Hyperformance?

I know most would recommend getting into something else, but I'm trying to think of a 45 outboard rig that I can learn on and keep maintained from now on. Looking for reasonable reliability and performance. I'm pretty sure that all the parts for the lowers are available as spares for now...

In musicians circles, we have a situation called G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), anyone think this exists in RC boating circles?... :lol:

Happy New Year guys

Has anyone tried the Rossi 45 outboard from Hyperformance?

I know most would recommend getting into something else, but I'm trying to think of a 45 outboard rig that I can learn on and keep maintained from now on. Looking for reasonable reliability and performance. I'm pretty sure that all the parts for the lowers are available as spares for now...
Hi Greg,

Jamie Anderson at Hunter Valley has one that seems to go quite well. He might be a good person to speak to. I think he's on IW but I'm not sure what his handle is.

In musicians circles, we have a situation called G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), anyone think this exists in RC boating circles?... :lol:
Definately! I'm living proof. Unless you mean that other gear that some musicians are into :p "for inspiration" of course....

Ditto! Thou with three teenagers now........Most of my GAS has passed :lol:

Gene

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back