3.5 Outboard Powerheads

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will have to look but I probably have one of those red rossi engines that Jim Irwin had. I did the conversion to OB on them and still might have my proto type. I will look this week end.

Brian
HEY BRIAN , PLEASE DO NOT REALEASE THAT ENGINE AS YET

OK SORRY ABOUT THE DELAY , I HAD A BIG FALL LAST WK END AND DAMMED NEER BROKE MY RIGHT LEG ,

THE BIG REDMOTOR . YES I BROUGHT THEM INTO THE STATES ABOUT 2 YRS AGO . THYE WERE PURCHASED DIRECT FROM ROSSI , WTHOUT CRANKS OR BACKPLTES . I COTRACTED WITH BYON NELSON TO MAKE BOTH PIECES FOR ME . NOW WE HAVE RUN ABOUT THREE OF THEM , MY OWN PERSONAL ENGINE HAS ABOUT 5.6 GALLONES OF FUEL THRU IT , WHAT I HAVE FOUND , THEY DO NOT LIKE THE HIGH COMPRESSION OF ALL THE OTHER MOTORS . THEY A MOTOR THAT REQUIRES A LOT OF FINISS IN THE SET UP . I WILL SAY THIS , YOU WILL NEVER FIND ANOTHER ENGINE THAT HAS THE FITT AND FINISH THAT THESE HAVE INSIDE .

NOW FOR THE BIGGY , THEY ARE RATTED AT 44.0000 RPM . I WOULD QUESTION THAT ONE ???

ALSO YOU CAN PROBLY PURCHASE , 2 1/2 ROSSI FOR WHAT ONE OF THESE BABYS WILL COST YOU . I THINK I NOW HAVE ABOUT(5 )OFHEM LEFT , ALSO , WHAT WE HAVE FOUND . THEY DO NOT REQUIRE ANY MODS , NOTHIN , PUTEM ON AND RUN THEM , YES THEY ARE MADE BY ROSSIE ,

I'll get it sooner or later....

:lol:
Everything has it's price :blink: but I doubt it'll happen :p

As for the MAC are you runnng an air cooled head? By pass the amount of water currently coming through to less water and it will scream.
Water cooled head. Have to check my collection to see if there are other jacket nipples that'll fit the head. If memory serves me correctly, someone posted the K&B ran best with a .050 water hole.. Is this close for the MAC?

At one time Kevin was making some air cooled heads for the MAC. Before I got mine I just simply didn't connect the water lines and it ran so much better.

You have to keep the Mac way up into the Squeal Zone.

Small dia. props and a failry hot head temprature showed the best performance for us.

If it starts to get a little tired, take a look at the bearings as that ultra high rpm will take out even the best bearings quicker than normal. We replaced the bearings after each 3 gallons of fuel.

We were talking to Steve Cirmella of Racers Edge Prop Service and he said he changed his after every 2 gallons but we later learned that what he was actually doing was changing the lower crank bearing every time and the top bearing every other time.

Steve runs a Mac setup and seems to have his props hooked up. Steve's number is: (803) 894-5812

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry you are not alone on the running out of fuel. If you are finishing with 7 oz. I'd bet the motor is not running as hard as it could.

As for water volume. None is best but if you are not OK with that, then bleed it off by putting a tee in the line before the head and connect it at 90 degrees instead of straight. This will reduce the water to a minimum. Do not restrict the exit on this motor because it can blow out the o-ring under the head.

Do not restrict the exit on this motor because it can blow out the o-ring under the head.
Wise words to know.. Might be better to restrict the water going in verses exiting then.

Here's a 30 sec vid of my MAC running at the race earlier this year.

Heat racing

Gener, sorry about hi-jacking the thread B)

My Mac's are restricted internally.... and I use a zip tie/tube clamp to keep the hoses on....

Butch :)

Measured pipe length. Around 8" out to the last weld on the Garcia.

Butch, how do you restrict on the inside? Any trade secrets :D

Kevin did mine.... I would J&B Weld a nipple and drill a .050 or less to start with.. small zip tie.... But I have not seen any water out of mine :p

I'll know the secrets when I change bearings in about a gallon more fuel !!!

Butch

Hi Guy's

Mark no problemo, You can talk on my post anytime bout anything ya want ;)

The title was OB powerheads so have at it :D

Jim, I understand and will respect your wishes, No problem here at all.

I did some research on tha red case Rossi's and that one was very cool, I had pics of the piston and liner and case internals, And your right it was beautifull inside, Ditto on tha price they were up there.

Thank you Brian for the offer,

Gener B)

Got a PM from Big Daddy Rodney, Back in a few ;)

Hi Butchie,

Ahh heck I dont know, Throw all the names in a hat and lets draw one :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still a looking Buddy,

Gener B)

Ok, got two nipples with JB Weld in them. Will drill them out tonight, different sizes..

I'll know Andy's secrets in about 2 gallons :D

Gener, I had Andy do the heat racing mods before he shipped the motor out. He can also do SAW mods if so desired.. It added another $100 to that already low $249...

hey slide try talking to brian nelson about an os vz/m outboard conversion

it different :)
Yep working on one even as we speak. Should be done in a month or two. Then it goes to the owner for testing. Everything looks good on this one it should be a strong fast engine.

Brian Nelsen

hey slide try talking to brian nelson about an os vz/m outboard conversion

it different :)
Yep working on one even as we speak. Should be done in a month or two. Then it goes to the owner for testing. Everything looks good on this one it should be a strong fast engine.

Brian Nelsen
Brian,

That will be a bad boy. That engine will tote some a$$ down the pond. We have 5 of them. Two of them we have been running for a year now and still going strong. (No broken pistons) Let us know how you do with yours.

-Carl,

well let me say boys i have k&b that will give you brain farts trying to figure out why it runs so dam fast! it was built by steve cirmella i know the sercerts to it and the mac he runs but i cant say he will have my head on a platter!

allen

Back