3.5 K&B bearings

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew_v

Hi all.

Im after some advice on bearings for my 3.5 ss.

Last weekend, i wasnt really happy with the way my ss was running. It didnt seem to rev out as much as it used to. It has good compression. I tried a few props, and even with a stock s/b X440, i still wasn't happy. I pulled it down, and found the bearings to be a little rough. I got some new crankshaft bearings from Minature bearings, Australia, fitted them, and now they are sweet. (havent run it yet but)

What i am wondering but is how critical the stub shaft bearings are. They are a little rough when they are dry, but with a bit of lube, they dont feel as bad. I Figured there would not be as much load on them as the crankshaft, so ive left them for now. Should i change them, or are they not that important?

Any Ideas?

Cheers, Andrew.

andrew_v said:
Hi all.Im after some advice on bearings for my 3.5 ss.

Last weekend, i wasnt really happy with the way my ss was running. It didnt seem to rev out as much as it used to. It has good compression. I tried a few props, and even with a stock s/b X440, i still wasn't happy. I pulled it down, and found the bearings to be a little rough. I got some new crankshaft bearings from Minature bearings, Australia, fitted them, and now they are sweet. (havent run it yet but)

What i am wondering but is how critical the stub shaft bearings are. They are a little rough when they are dry, but with a bit of lube, they dont feel as bad. I Figured there would not be as much load on them as the crankshaft, so ive left them for now. Should i change them, or are they not that important?

Any Ideas?

Cheers, Andrew.

88466[/snapback]

krpnova said:
Any questionable bearing should be changed.
88493[/snapback]

I wholeheartedly agree. That same bearing could be chattering at high RPMs robbing the engine of horsepower. Replace both of them.

Back