.21 Wild Thing Rudder depth

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wswatzell

I know a few guys here have built & Run John Finch Wild Thing's. I have a Speedmaster rudder mounted on it. I have not shortened it at all, & it is very deep. I would kind of like a starting point to shorten it without going too far & having to replace the blade. Any ideas?

I was told that 1-1/4" below the lowest part of the prop was a good place to cut it at. Round off the bottom and leading edge. Mine is at only 1" but when I cut it I had a smaller prop on.

Let's see what others say first.

Wade,

What propellers are you running on your Wild Thing 21? I have a customer that

needs some help with his. He is running a Nova Rossi 21 with either a Octura

X-440/3 or an ABC 40 x 52/3 he is having a hard time breaking 50 MPH.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Mark, if his motor can take them, have him try the Prather 220, Octura M445 or whatever you might have near those sizes.

Ron,

I have all of those propellers in stock along with 220 more. The Prather 220

sounds interesting, the M-445 may work also. I thought 50 MPH was pretty

fast for a 21 Mono.

Thanks Ron,

Wade,

As far as the rudder goes 1" to 1 1/2" is good below the propeller. If you cut it

too short,your boat will usually spin out in the turns. Yes, below the propeller.

Good Luck Wade,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mark, I really don't remember which prop I have on it. I'll be working in the garage tonight, so I’ll take a peek for you.

Thanks for the starting point for the rudder. That is below the tip of the prop when it is at its lowest point right?

LOL!!! I measured the rudder tonight, & it is 3.75" below the lower tip of the prop!! I guess that is just a wee bit to deep!! LOL!!

Mark, the prop I have on it is a 440/3

Well, the rudder depth is now 1 1/2" below the lowest point of the prop blade. I'll see how it runs next weekend. :blink:

Mark, I was talking to Gary P. earlier in the year when the M445 came out and he was telling me that the boaters around there started using the M445 and were running over 50 in race trim. The P-220 and M445 are almost identical in diameter and pitch but our boat likes the 220 better.

Back