.21 mono "header heat"

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Jefferson

I have a .21 Speedmaster mono with a Top .21 Nova Rossi in it. The header is fully under the deck and gets crazy hot. Hot enough to burn the tie wraps off the coupler and quickly destroy the coupler as well. What are you guys doing for this situation? Do I just get a coupler that can handle the heat and not worry about it? Let me know...

What's a good stinger ID? The pipe length is 8 1/8"

Thanks, Ron

I wrap all my NR 180 headers with several coils of 1/8" soft AL tubing and JB weld it in place. I run the cooling water through the header first and then through the head. It helps with hte typical overcooling of the NR 21's. Send me your email, and I'll send a pic. I can do it to yours for $15.

I have an SD3 .21 Seducer with a Top T21-7M and I am having the same problem as Ron describes. I've used a couple of different types of couplers but no luck yet. BTW, I was having the same problem when I was running a CMB .21 Red Head.

I was thinking about putting some copper tubing around the header and over the coupler and running water through it, so based on Jon's reply it might be worth giving it a go.

James

i use the MACS grey coupler on mine. works great. i do have to replace the zip ties once every other outing tho.

carl

Ron, I have some exhaust coupling that I have been using for more than 20 years on my boats that works well. My B Mono Twincraft/Picco has the 180 degree header that is under the deck and I have NEVER burned a coupler since the boat was new ( built it in 1994 ). As Carl does with his boat, I change the ty wraps every couple of weekend races because they loosen up. I have changed the coupler at times just because it got dark looking ( ugly! ), but never burned one. Email me at "[email protected]".

Dick Tyndall

I have an SD3 .21 Seducer with a Top T21-7M and I am having the same problem as Ron describes. I've used a couple of different types of couplers but no luck yet. BTW, I was having the same problem when I was running a CMB .21 Red Head.
I was thinking about putting some copper tubing around the header and over the coupler and running water through it, so based on Jon's reply it might be worth giving it a go.

James
Just be sure to pot the tubing with JB weld. If the tube is left loose, the vibration will wear away both the header and the cooling tube.

Do those of you that have this issue have the pipe slipped over the header ?? Or is that even possible with the given set-up. I have never run this set-up, just curious ?

Andy

Just get one like Olly has... :rolleyes:

normal_ScanImage08~0.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist... :lol:

Seriously tho, that black "Super Coupler" Mike Hughes has might be your best bet, along with some of those steel spring type clamps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the application you are talking about...but this is a premade SV27 (an RTR mono) cooling coil on a side exhaust header... Tower sells these for a little over $3 each.

Even though mine is not JB welded on, it made a huge difference in the amount of couplers I went through. This setup has gone through over a gallon of fuel like this, and I have not had a problem with wear...your mileage may vary.

Sean

header_cooler.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back