2017 IMPBA Internats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it very hard to believe that the IMPBA Board would agree to "retire" the most prestigious award it has awarded at its biggest race for many, many years. I think it is a "slap in the face" to every person who has their name on a brass plate on that trophy who has won it in the past. For as long as I have been a member of IMPBA ( 1984 ) I have never heard of the trophy having to be shipped to an Internats. The person who last won it either brought it to the race or got it to someone who was going to attend. I am offended that the Board members who voted to discard this trophy don't have a clue to its history and importance to IMPBA. The last time I saw the trophy it was in Anthony Black's house ( his son Josh Black won it in 2012 for D Hydro ) in a prominent, safe place and indeed it looked like an old trophy but was NOT in any disrepair that I could see. This trophy should be sitting in Stu Barr's house...........no excuses. The people on the Board need to know where IMPBA came from to be able to see where it needs to go. You need to think about this one again.

Dick Tyndall

President, IMPBA 1995-1998

Dick you are very right. And you don't know what all came along just three to four week before the Internats. They had a special board meeting wanting us to shut down the Internats and return everyone's money. Because they said we did not have the turn out. Or did not sell out in 15 minutes. Of course we said we got this and know what we are doing. None of the board has ever been to one of these except one or two members. And I am not sure that any have been to this type format. The fact is we had money in the bank and was doing good on entries and things were coming together. Wish we had a few more but after the job we did on this one they will come next time. We set records as a club pulling on this event.

We ran 189 boats in Straight away. We ran 189 boats in Oval. We were done with the timed events on Tuesday morning by 10:00 am. We may have do it in two days if it had not been for the timing receivers being washed out by direct sun light late in the afternoon which cost us about hour for the two first days. I believe we had about 230 boats that we had to run for the next four days. We had 60 heats on Wednesday, 65 heats on Thursday, and 60 heats on Friday. Except for some bad weather on Thursday afternoon and we decided to shut down the rest of the afternoon because they said there was more weather coming. So we ran 89 heats on Friday and was done with the US 1 classes by 6:00 pm. We ran 25 heats of Specialty classes and was done before noon.

We gave away a lot of prizes and they were all very nice prices. We had a lot of good sponsors which you were one and the others we thank very much. It does help. Also we gave out some very nice trophies fitting for a race of this type. One other thing on the trophies the sponsors name was place on all the trophies of the classes they sponsored. We thought this would help give back to the sponsor.

The thing is we were able to do such a good job because we had racers that wanted to be there and race this format. Between the racers and our club we were able to lay down the best Internats that I have ever seen.

I have been holding my tongue , but what is going on with IMPBA ?

The records list has not been updated since May 2 . What else don't they want to do ?

Maybe time to drain the IMPBA swamp !
There has been one record set since that time Bob. July 15th. I'll update the records when I have time to do so. I'm a busy man, and do this out of the kindness of my heart in my free time.

If that's not good enough for YOU or ANYONE else for that matter send me your address and I'll be happy to send you the whole ball of wax!

I took over the records position in 2009 from Glenn Quarles because I respect him, and nobody was chomping at the bit to do the thankless job.

I spent 4 hrs. last evening on timing equipment and have more work to do this evening.

DO YOU WANT IT??? Just say the word!!

Keep in mind it pays NOTHING, and occasionally you'll get a dose of the bullshit you posted above.

Feel free to call. 404-308-4011

The trophy needs to be reinstated, repaired if needed at IMPBA EXPENSE.

THIS A LEGACY TROPHY

THE WINNER OF THIS AWARD THIS YEAR SHOULD GET THE TROPHY WITH THEIR NAME ON A BRASS PLATE ON THE TROPHY

THEY KEEP IT TILL THE NEXT INTERNATIONAL REGATTA

YES , IMPBA COVERS THE SHIPPING

A simple retorical question: If there was a LEGACY GAS OR ELECTRIC TROPHY, would it have been retired because it needed repair?

Does the new plaque have all the names and dates showing the history?

I had a chance to see the trophy proudly displayed for the first time in 2012. Yes it may be a little weathered, but it was very cool to read all the names and see it!!! Part of it being cool is that its weathered showing its age and HISTORY. That trophy motivated some. How cool would it be to have your name on it with the best!!

Yes a little and IMPBA does not want to ship it anymore.
"DOES NOT WANT TO SHIP IT!?!?" I thought it was up to the winner of the trophy to make sure it arrives at the next U.S.1 Nats. Why were the member's not informed of this,if there was an issue. Where does the trophy reside at NOW??
Mark I am sorry for sounding like I am directing my questions towards you, as I am not. I can not believe this... it has been replaced by nice wall trophy (in other words "A PLAQUE"). I do not think this is FAIR or RIGHT. Who is in charge of this decision,the BOD??? Or the member's of IMPBA.
The meeting minutes are up on the website for any one, members or non members to read on what is going on/talked about at board meetings. The trophy was in poor shape and no trophy shop could refurbish it. Yes it costs $270 to ship the trophy. It was brought up to the board on what to do with the trophy and the unanimous decision was to retire the trophy. It was to be advertised in the March roostertail if anyone wanted the trophy. but Bill Zuber said the Huntsville club wanted it. March meeting minutes if anyone wants to look up the complete conversation. Case closed
Bob,

Look forward to seeing your nomination for a board position.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
If you read the minutes from the March BOD there was NO vote to retire the trophy. Yes Huntsville will "house" for now and we are working to "fix" it. I will say I do not see this trophy going away, it may change how it is handled but it will be gong forward I'd say. There are more challenges ahead...

Paul

https://nebula.wsimg.com/10b72964b82b2002d41cad66eabd4896?AccessKeyId=ACA7381D2BFC72351748&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

"President asks for suggestions from the board on what to do with large Excellence of Performance 3-tier trophy.

D13 Doug Smock suggests taking pictures for archiving in rule book and retiring it. Bill Zuber suggests asking

membership if anyone wants.

MOTION: D14 Mike Schindler to put notice in next Roostertail issue asking any interested party to contact

office or it will be destroyed by end of this year. If no one requests it, the plates could be removed and sent

to original recipient where possible. SECOND D13 Doug Smock. None opposed. Motion passed".

UPDATE: Bill Zuber contacted office. Huntsville is taking trophy. Bill arranged for Steve Ball to pick up from

Toledo and deliver to them at Internats.

The trophy needs to be reinstated, repaired if needed at IMPBA EXPENSE.

THIS A LEGACY TROPHY

THE WINNER OF THIS AWARD THIS YEAR SHOULD GET THE TROPHY WITH THEIR NAME ON A BRASS PLATE ON THE TROPHY

THEY KEEP IT TILL THE NEXT INTERNATIONAL REGATTA

YES , IMPBA COVERS THE SHIPPING

A simple retorical question: If there was a LEGACY GAS OR ELECTRIC TROPHY, would it have been retired because it needed repair?
hell no it wouldn't be

Dick you are very right. And you don't know what all came along just three to four week before the Internats. They had a special board meeting wanting us to shut down the Internats and return everyone's money. Because they said we did not have the turn out. Or did not sell out in 15 minutes. Of course we said we got this and know what we are doing. None of the board has ever been to one of these except one or two members. And I am not sure that any have been to this type format. The fact is we had money in the bank and was doing good on entries and things were coming together. Wish we had a few more but after the job we did on this one they will come next time. We set records as a club pulling on this event.

We ran 189 boats in Straight away. We ran 189 boats in Oval. We were done with the timed events on Tuesday morning by 10:00 am. We may have do it in two days if it had not been for the timing receivers being washed out by direct sun light late in the afternoon which cost us about hour for the two first days. I believe we had about 230 boats that we had to run for the next four days. We had 60 heats on Wednesday, 65 heats on Thursday, and 60 heats on Friday. Except for some bad weather on Thursday afternoon and we decided to shut down the rest of the afternoon because they said there was more weather coming. So we ran 89 heats on Friday and was done with the US 1 classes by 6:00 pm. We ran 25 heats of Specialty classes and was done before noon.

We gave away a lot of prizes and they were all very nice prices. We had a lot of good sponsors which you were one and the others we thank very much. It does help. Also we gave out some very nice trophies fitting for a race of this type. One other thing on the trophies the sponsors name was place on all the trophies of the classes they sponsored. We thought this would help give back to the sponsor.

The thing is we were able to do such a good job because we had racers that wanted to be there and race this format. Between the racers and our club we were able to lay down the best Internats that I have ever seen.
The beginning of this is totally false. We had our annual spring meeting that is always held, it was not a special meeting to shut down the internats nor was there ever any intention of trying to shut down the internats by the board. During the meeting, the lack of entries was brought up as 3 weeks before the entry deadline most of the classes did not qualify for US-1. As you can see by reading the length of this thread, when there are constant posts for months to get the entries in and nothing is happening, it is a concern. The Gas Nats sells out in less than 2 days and this was 4 months in and the entries were not that good. At the time of the meeting, there were only 4 or 5 classes eligible for US 1 and multiple classes that did not have enough boats to make a class. Many ideas were thrown out there at the meeting about how to help get the entries up because we did not want to see the race get cancelled. We were very clear in saying that the ideas being thrown out were just suggestions to try and help get the attendance up and it would be the clubs decision on what they wanted to do. Example of a suggestion was to run the time trials last with the top heat race finishers like we did for many years since the early 90's so that the duration of the event could be cut by a minimum of a day. In the end, the club wanted to stay the course and run it the way they planned and there was nothing more said. We never once said to cancel the race and return everybody's money. Apparently Mr. Bullard takes offense to anybody having an opinion or suggesting anything and decided to post this false accusation, even though he was not on the call.

In the end everything worked out and that is fortunate. As I stated before, the Huntsville club did a great job on the internats and they should be proud of the accomplishment.

Woah...nitro against gas, gas against nitro ?!! Cmon guys !! This has to stop. I'm an old nitro guy for many years back in the day, I've since (the last 4 years) come back to rc boat racing, and it saddens me that there's so much dissension amongst fellow model boaters (just my opinion). Has gas come a long way ? You bet ya it has, and has nitro. Bottom line is that the "has beens", and "never was'ers" need to understand that THIS is OUR hobby, gas, nitro, f.e., my observations of the last few years seems to be that there is still friction amoung the ranks. Here's what I know....GOSSIP is a killer of everything. Let's stop the division, and unite as model boaters ! The club I belong to welcomes ALL, we even create classes for special interest. I guess what I'm trying to say is, for the "its always been that way crowd", loosen up...just cuz it's been that way, doesn't mean it's right, right ? And for the newer "screw the old school gang", if ya'll would shut up and listen to the other...you might learn something !! Lol...sorry for my rant, but theses factions piss me off. Thanks for letting me share,
default_smile.png

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Mike comparing the Gas Nats and the Internats is like comparing apples and oranges. Gas Nats is a 4 day race the Internats is 3 different events rolled into a 7 days oval timed event, SAW timed event and 4 days of heat racing. Plus the largest factor is the registration method using one method the Gas Nats registration was filled in 2 days, BUT it wasn't sold out since that method allows for boaters to just fill a slot without actually paying until a much later date. While the Internats the entry was paid up front prior to the entry actually filling a slot. This allows the Host club to actually manage the finances much easier and more precise. Both events are great but they are completely different and have much different challenges. Both host clubs stepped up and ran good events.

Stan as I read between the lines, the existing Board seems to not have much interest in Nitro racing or the promotion of Nitro racing
amen
Well guys you should look at the numbers.

Amount of IMPBA money spent on trophies for the Nitro Regatta - $2000

Amount of IMPBA money spent on trophies for the Gas Nats - $50

The organization is split approximately 50/50 in membership (gas/nitro) and supports nitro very well. And by the way, with the lack of membership, we probably will not generate enough revenue to cover the costs of the Nitro trophies and we still do it.

Sorry, but I take offense to the statement that the organization does not support or promote nitro racing. We are doing our best to promote all forms of racing equally. If you have any ideas on how to promote more to increase participation in Nitro, please feel free to contact me. I see all this bitching on here all the time, but nobody ever sends any ideas or want to get involved to make it better. Instead, they just bad mouth people that are involved until they quit.

Doug

How hard is it to update the database with only one entry in 3 months !!!!

You do not have to preach to me about a non paying job at IMPBA. I have been a district 5 director, National Safety Director ETC.

And have travelled to many Nats and board meetings in Toledo at my own dime.

So save it ,

Last edited by a moderator:
You do not have to preach to me about a non paying job at IMPBA. I have been a district 5 director, National Safety Director ETC.

So save it ,
Thankyou and everyone for your service, Bob...Hopefully one day, I too can give back what was freely given to me [emoji1]
Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Doug

How hard is it to update the database with only one entry in 3 months !!!!

And have travelled to many Nats and board meetings in Toledo at my own dime.

So save it ,

Work and family will always come first. If that doesn't work for you, you know what to do.....

BTW JULY 15 TO AUG.1 DOES NOT THREE MONTS MAKE..
default_wink.png

Have a nice day.

Stan as I read between the lines, the existing Board seems to not have much interest in Nitro racing or the promotion of Nitro racing
amen
Well guys you should look at the numbers.

Amount of IMPBA money spent on trophies for the Nitro Regatta - $2000

Amount of IMPBA money spent on trophies for the Gas Nats - $50

The organization is split approximately 50/50 in membership (gas/nitro) and supports nitro very well. And by the way, with the lack of membership, we probably will not generate enough revenue to cover the costs of the Nitro trophies and we still do it.

Sorry, but I take offense to the statement that the organization does not support or promote nitro racing. We are doing our best to promote all forms of racing equally. If you have any ideas on how to promote more to increase participation in Nitro, please feel free to contact me. I see all this bitching on here all the time, but nobody ever sends any ideas or want to get involved to make it better. Instead, they just bad mouth people that are involved until they quit.
Again comparing apples to oranges! Different type events and if you read the rulebook and know the history the same type of events and support are available for the Gas and FE powered racers.

Hey Bill, here's an idea.

Why not ask the membership if someone wants to restore the EOP themselves? We have a lot of talented craftsmen in our ranks. I just revamped a trophy for our Can-Am and it cost us all of C$28 for a hunk of walnut!

If we need a few dollars to get it done we could do an on line "Save the Excellence of Performance" fund raiser?

If the winner cannot physically bring it to the next US1 event, we could figure out how to pay for the shipping then.
default_smile.png

I too would hate to see this important piece of IMPBA history be put to the curb.
default_sad.png

ps: can you post a picture of it? How bad has it gotten?

Well it don't take some of the guilty long to come out. Mike and other board members have worked against us from the start. And you of all people , knowing who your parents are. You hit me up about paper work at Hobart and the president was asking you about it. Then I found out that the president had the paper work since the first of July and set on it. When I backed you up about it, this did force you to finely announce that we were hosting the event at that time. This should have been announce way before then.

You and the other board members should go and study the history of IMPBA and what makes the International Regatta and why the Excellence of Performance trophy is so special. Plus I would support the same kind of event for Gas and Electric. This is what IMPBA should do. It would be their purpose to do so.

The IMPBA is to promote "Model Boating" only. It should not divide the types of boats with their different kind of power and side this way or that. You see there is no such thing as a Nitro Boater, Gas Boater, or Electric Boater. We are just Model Boaters and this is what makes IMPBA. So if the board members can not run IMPBA as model boaters only, then maybe it is time to drain the swamp.

Back