2017 IMPBA Internats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Bill, here's an idea.

Why not ask the membership if someone wants to restore the EOP themselves? We have a lot of talented craftsmen in our ranks. I just revamped a trophy for our Can-Am and it cost us all of C$28 for a hunk of walnut!

If we need a few dollars to get it done we could do an on line "Save the Excellence of Performance" fund raiser?

If the winner cannot physically bring it to the next US1 event, we could figure out how to pay for the shipping then.
default_smile.png

I too would hate to see this important piece of IMPBA history be put to the curb.
default_sad.png

ps: can you post a picture of it? How bad has it gotten?
X2...and then get it to the winner Stu Barr.

You get it too me, I'll restore it on my dime. Will bring to Charleston Fall Nats, any volunteers to get it too Stu. Oh and the swamp thing is hysterical, who would retrieve our boat parts.
default_laugh.png

I do have the trophy here in my shop. Bill called me and I call Steve Ball to ask if he would bring it down since the board did not want to ship it anymore. I am sorry but have not had the chance to even look at it. But will get it out of the box, take pictures and see what it needs this weekend.

And that's funny Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
You get it too me, I'll restore it on my dime. Will bring to Charleston Fall Nats, any volunteers to get it too Stu. Oh and the swamp thing is hysterical, who would retrieve our boat parts. [emoji38]
Ray,I have a bunch of scrap lumber and veneer sheet goods at work that I could cut to size for you. Just have to figure out the shipping.. (walnut, Maple, & cherry)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

It was sent to the IMPBA office from Charleston and cost the IMPBA $300 to get it shipped. It is a big award weight and size and carries too much history to use it for fire wood and that was what was said during the board meeting and why I said we would take it. Being a past District Director for 2 different districts for over 12 years and past President for 2 terms I just could not let that much history get burned up. I have seen the result from the lack of care by members that win the traveling awards like the EOP and John Bridge award it's pretty bad. I'm glad the John Bridge award was reclaimed by the club that initiated it.

Does the new plaque have all the names and dates showing the history?

I had a chance to see the trophy proudly displayed for the first time in 2012. Yes it may be a little weathered, but it was very cool to read all the names and see it!!! Part of it being cool is that its weathered showing its age and HISTORY. That trophy motivated some. How cool would it be to have your name on it with the best!!
To answer your question no it does not it only has the current EOP winner.

Passions are clearly running high on this one for sure. I've had a couple people ask me to lock the thread down.... not this time. This needs to be talked about and clearly is far from resolved. This vote happened I think at the first BOD meeting after I stepped down from many years as District 12 Director (also Gas and Nitro Director while DD) so I was not aware of this until I heard about it from Stu at the GasNats. Had I still been a voting member (hydro tech director is non voting) and in on the executive session it's safe to say I would have been against the chosen course of action and looked for alternatives. The history behind that trophy and the names on it deserve better than this option in my opinion. I also think it's condition may have been a little exaggerated as it looked aged but in good shape when it sat on display at Anthony Black's house after his son Josh became the youngest ever to earn that honor. With that being said I find it some of the comments directed at the board members unacceptable especially from those who've never served. The BOD positions are thankless non paying positions and regardless of whether you are or not in agreement they deserve respect. Any further attacks and/or slandering will not be tolerated and might just result in a nice time out, a couple of you are already pushing that window. So feel free to air you feelings, thoughts and ideas but be respectful.

You get it too me, I'll restore it on my dime. Will bring to Charleston Fall Nats, any volunteers to get it too Stu. Oh and the swamp thing is hysterical, who would retrieve our boat parts.
default_laugh.png
That was a fire fighter in Evansville getting me my cowling back. Great guys.

So I guess the only question left is how do we get the trophy from AL to NJ? Can someone in Huntsville figure out what's the best way to ship it and post a quote?

Then we just need a little on line fund raiser, right?

I'll donate the first $20!
default_smile.png

So I just want to ask a question. Not trying to step on anybody toes here. But did I read it right, IMPBA org pays for all the trophys at national events? We at NAMBA use the class sponsor money to cover these costs. This might be a way to eleviate some of the money woes within IMPBA. Just making a suggestion. Not trying to start a battle between the two orgs.

Thanks

Mike

In retrospect the intentions of what the board voted on should of made it to the roostertail. But you can't change what was done and said now so it is what it is. Bill wrote the office a day after the meeting and nobody thought twice about it. Take it as a learning experience and do your best to make sure your members are better informed. Which is something of a challenge. Nobody reads the meeting minutes, you have no idea how many read the roostertail that is put out quarterly, and to put icing on the cake the annual board meeting at the internats was attended by I believe 2 non board members. So what it seems we have here is a failure to communicate.

Our meeting was March 30th. On March 31st Bill Zuber wrote the following email for the trophy....

"Chris, I talked this over with our CD's for the Internats and we would like to get the trophy to show it off at what might be the last internats and try to do something to at lease preserve the memory of it at all possible. If we can make arrangements to have someone like Steve Ball or Garry Geiselman to pick it up and bring it down for the internats would that be okay with the board?"

So that is what was agreed upon... My question is why was it not shown off at the dinner? I am assuming this as Ron Zaker posted that he did not see the trophy at the dinner. Why was no one informed of what was voted on at the internats? All of this might of been totally avoided as the issue could of been brought up at the board meeting.

Seems to be a few people on this thread that continue to try and push the divide between power plants. Mark and Doc I don't know what more you want from the board? To take a billboard ad out at times square to promote the race? Nobody wanted the race cancelled this was never brought up at all. I don't need to touch on the specifics as Mike Betke has already done that about what was talked about at the meeting. The race was a huge success and I think everyone at the board meeting congratulated you guys and the club.

That's all I have to say about this topic as it is time to turn the page. Looks like this is moving towards a positive outcome anyway.

I think our BOD are fantastic and have only the best interests of the hobby in their hearts. Thank you to all of them who have volunteered their time and also to those who have served the organization. If you don't like whats going on then run for a position.

Moving on,

Matt Schofield

So I just want to ask a question. Not trying to step on anybody toes here. But did I read it right, IMPBA org pays for all the trophys at national events? We at NAMBA use the class sponsor money to cover these costs. This might be a way to eleviate some of the money woes within IMPBA. Just making a suggestion. Not trying to start a battle between the two orgs.

Thanks

Mike
I'm curious about that too...we are duel sanctioned, but have ALWAYS paid for trophies via class sponsors. Both IMPBA and NAMBA.
Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Thanks

Mike
Mike and Nick IMPBA pays for US-1 Trophies and Patches for each class that has a minimum of 8 entries in the past. The host club pays for all other trophies for all 3 events at an Internats that includes Heat racing 1/3 mile oval timed event and SAW timed event trophies I think it was a total of 14 US-q plaques, the Presidents Cup, Bill Lefeber Award and the EOP plaque for this Internats. Although a few years this rule has NOT been followed and some classes that the IMPBA bought the US-1 trophies for only had 5 or 6 entries. This year they did not pay for the patches the Huntsville club did. The following is not specifically directed at Nick or Mike just members that insist on asking questions that can be answered by reading rulebooks and meeting minutes. FYI Some of this has been posted in past Roostertails and meeting minutes, if you would start reading the Newsletter and minutes you would know this. The posted minutes are a readers digest version and do not contain everything that is stated during the meeting

Ok on the trophies that IMPBA are complaining about that they had to buy. It has always been that IMPBA buys all the US 1 and President's Cup trophies. Works out this year to eleven US 1 trophies and there is always one Presidents Cup. They also give a wall trophy to the past winner of the EOP. This come to thirteen trophies that IMPBA bought. This trophy bill was about $1800.00. Why because they are done at a trophy shop that we have been using for over twenty years. I pick these trophies up at the same time I pick up the other trophies for the Internats. So how many trophies the Huntsville club bought? We picked up one hundred twenty one trophies. Our trophy bill was right at $2800.00. So who's trophy bill was higher.

For those of you that have never done this. This is a very special race with lots of IMPBA History. It is like three events rolled into one event. To start with is what we call a Trophy Trials. It works into a timed Straight Away event for all US 1 class boats. The best times are awarded three places of trophies. Also points are awarded for the best times. First being 400, second 300, just like heat racing. Next come the timed Oval event for all of the US 1 classes. The same thing is done as in the Straight Away. The best times are awarded three places of trophies along with the points that go with them. Now this really put the buzz into the racers as to where they are standing at this time and what they have to do in the next event which is Heat Racing. Here again more trophies to be presented to the top finishers. Since we set the classes to have 8 boats for a US 1 class we gave out three trophies. Now on the bigger classes for every plus 8 boats we added another trophy. This stop at 5 places. So the bare number of trophies for a US 1 class would be 9. And the max number would be 11. When the heats or going on the racers are watching the scores and trying to make a plan to win that very hard to win US 1.

This is what makes this type of event so special for a racer to do well in the two timed Trophy Trials and then turn around and do well in Heat racing from the other options that have been tried over the years.

But I do believe we had a little history made this year. We had a racer that came with his A game and did a out standing job on three out of four boats. He was US 1 in C/D Hydro, F Hydro, and Multi Engine Hydro. He won the President's Cup which is the best performance of only two boats in Heat racing that they declare. So you have to hope you chose the right two boats. He also won the EOP award with C/D Hydro. This is the best performance of a US 1 class boat in all the US 1 events. There is a weighing factor that has to be used with the number of boats in all of the classes. But in his case C/D hydro had the most boats in that US 1 class so its weighing factor was 100 %.

But this special racer is "Stu Barr" and I am sure he will remember this from years to come as a very special moment.

Now everyone think about what I just laid out. We could do this type of event for Gas and FE. And I feel that it would be very special for these racers to have this kind of win. Anyone can win a old heat race, but can you win a US 1. And being a "Model Boater" I would support the Gas and FE classes doing the same thing. Its all in the rule book so study the original format. You may like what you read.

If the EOP trophy is now in the Huntsville area, find someone nearby that is coming to the Fall Nats race in Charleston, SC. and bring it there. Ray Sametz is coming down with Don Ferrette, Paul Stirton and myself to the race and it can be given to Ray at this time. Ray happens to be an excellent craftsman and will do a great job making this special award look like new again. And when it's finished it needs to go to Stu Barr, not back to Huntsville. There are enough people around the country that go to enough far away races that you shouldn't need to ship this trophy to where it needs to go.

Dick Tyndall

Thanks

Mike
Mike and Nick IMPBA pays for US-1 Trophies and Patches for each class that has a minimum of 8 entries in the past. The host club pays for all other trophies for all 3 events at an Internats that includes Heat racing 1/3 mile oval timed event and SAW timed event trophies I think it was a total of 14 US-q plaques, the Presidents Cup, Bill Lefeber Award and the EOP plaque for this Internats. Although a few years this rule has NOT been followed and some classes that the IMPBA bought the US-1 trophies for only had 5 or 6 entries. This year they did not pay for the patches the Huntsville club did. The following is not specifically directed at Nick or Mike just members that insist on asking questions that can be answered by reading rulebooks and meeting minutes. FYI Some of this has been posted in past Roostertails and meeting minutes, if you would start reading the Newsletter and minutes you would know this. The posted minutes are a readers digest version and do not contain everything that is stated during the meeting
Yea, THAT wasn't condescending at all !! [emoji12] ...lol.
Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back