2015 New Design SGX Twin " Big Engines"

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy told me about the new Tub's wood is thick 3/8 inches and install new " heavy duty" grommet rubbers for engine mounts Thumb Up!!

Andy told me about the new Tub's wood is thick 3/8 inches and install new " heavy duty" grommet rubbers for engine mounts Thumb Up!!
Oh hey are thought delrin motor mounts and did you get those grommets from Andy .

Last edited by a moderator:
i can't tell from the pic

are them struts brass that is soldiered to a alum uprights?
Stainless steel strut blade is inserted into a deep milled slot in the brass shaft tube with high temp Silver solder. The same solder we use for making flex shafts.
Thanks for posting these images of the tub rear section, strut/shaft-log detail, Andy. I was noticing, in one view, a little of the dowel transom reinforcement detail. Can you provide a few more images (maybe from the inside view) showing more detail on how the dowels are placed, and interconnected to transom and side and bottom sections?

Feb2015_SGX2015-Twin_CMB-1.01RS_AllanYuan_05.jpg

i can't tell from the pic

are them struts brass that is soldiered to a alum uprights?
Stainless steel strut blade is inserted into a deep milled slot in the brass shaft tube with high temp Silver solder. The same solder we use for making flex shafts.
Thanks for posting these images of the tub rear section, strut/shaft-log detail, Andy. I was noticing, in one view, a little of the dowel transom reinforcement detail. Can you provide a few more images (maybe from the inside view) showing more detail on how the dowels are placed, and interconnected to transom and side and bottom sections?
David, The dowles are 1/8". We put 3 or 4 across the bottom and 2 on each side. They are placed so that they will center up on the 1/4" transom.

Gary, The tub is about 2" longer than out previous T-90. The sponsons are also about 2" longer, with most of the addtion to the rear for proper turn fin location.

really good to see someone getting back to basics of boat building, I really like that repairs/material can all be pick up local at HD or Lowes and when you change a door in your house keep the wood for spare splice plates. GOOD Job Andy

really good to see someone getting back to basics of boat building, I really like that repairs/material can all be pick up local at HD or Lowes and when you change a door in your house keep the wood for spare splice plates. GOOD Job Andy
I'm not sure what you are saying Thomas Elkins. Maybe you can be more specific?

There is not one part or product that was used to build Allan's Twin 90 that can be picked up at the local HD or Lowes.

andy , is that boat the same as my 2013 ? 47in. in length. like the strut ,is longer than the stainless ones you made.can i use new sponsons .

andy , is that boat the same as my 2013 ? 47in. in length. like the strut ,is longer than the stainless ones you made.can i use new sponsons .
Gary, We will have to compare notes. We just started to work on new ideas for the Twin 90 when you got yours.

Charlie Siler's Twin OPS 90 is the previous shorter version. The new version like Allan's has a wider booms spacing (more tank space).

We custom built a new version set of fronts for Charlie's Twin. We could do the same for you Gary.

The new tub is about 47" and the total length is about 48" with the sponsons.

Andy

I think what Thomas is referring to is the old wives tail that Luan (used in door skins) and Okoume BS1088 are the same wood.

Makes me laugh every time some on says " I see he is still using door skins"

Ignorance is bliss......................................

Andy

I think what Thomas is referring to is the old wives tail that Luan (used in door skins) and Okoume BS1088 are the same wood.

Makes me laugh every time some on says " I see he is still using door skins"

Ignorance is bliss......................................
@ $70 to $100 a sheet those are some expensive door skins we've been using. There's a lot of 15 years old Eagle around, maybe we are building them too strong! Need to use some cheap wood and polystyrean sponson foam so they will get destroyed easy..... sell more boats?

Just a side note. You can leave a sheet of Okume in the weather ( rain, sunshine, snow, ice) for months. Nothing will happen to it and it will hardly warp.

Try that with a door skin.

Birch ply, while much heavier, is only about 30% stronger.

The craftsmanship on Andy's boats are extremely nice very impressive Allan your set up is going to be extremely compatible your combination of boat motors going to be awesome enjoyed the build.Vernon Newson

I'm not sure what you are saying Thomas Elkins. Maybe you can be more specific?

There is not one part or product that was used to build Allan's Twin 90 that can be picked up at the local HD or Lowes.
taken wrong Andy dident mean anything neg. but while we are on the subject I build with as little wood as possible, all nomex honeycomb tub and solid center cut balsa core sponsons no foam . glues are best hysol you can get, most all products same as you would see used in mil. spec aircraft.

keep up the good work it looks great.

Tom

Latest posts

Back