2013 World OB Tunnel Championships Now Open for Entries

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have mixed feelings on 6 or 8 boat heats. I feel 6 is better for racing but for the WTC 8 has worked out well. Another part of competition quality to me is 5 heats of racing. 5 rounds really sets the WTC apart from other events. If we change to 6 five rounds is not a possibility. Right now with 207 boats and 8 in a heat you wind up with appoximately 30 heats in a round. 5 X 30 = 150 and divide by 2 1/2 days and you need to run 60 heats a day. Even with a weather or logistics delay doable. Going to 6 max you make 39 heats per round and for 5 rounds 195 heats. 39 on Friday and 78 Sat & Sun each. 6 boats 4 rounds = 156 heats and back in the comfortable 62 per day zone. Over 75 heats per day is just not a good event. Makes for ugly temperment for everyone and not fun for race officials. In this case I rather see 8 boats per heat and keep the 5th round. 200-220 boats it can be done. We haven't had to limit entries yet which is another way to skin this cat. A Roll call and consolidating heats between the 4th and 5th heats would be time well spent. Soo many scratches and casualties of war by then some heats get down to 3 boats while another in the same class has 7.

Mic

I made the change noted before in the event that we want to go to 6 boat heats. We can put it into to play if needed so I have prepared for it. And it can still revert to 8 boat heats and we can get the 5th round in. If it is 6 boat heats we cannot get the 5th round in. Mic's numbers are close to mine so it shows that the 5th is not possible with 6 boat heats. With 8 boat heats the entry numbers will easily allow for 5 normal rounds. There is a 225 boat limit in place and has been all along but with 225-240 boats we can still do 5 rounds of 8 boat heats.

I also have mixed feelings but the WTC race has shown the capacity and ability to run 8 boat heats without any real problems. The racers are well behaved and work well with us all. With the 6 boat heats, drops will allow for easier heat consolidation than 8 boat heats. But it sure DOES increase the work on me doing it. The real drops do not come about until late in the 4th round and into the 5th. By then the race is almost over and little time can be recouped. I would just assume enjoy the race and not work so hard.

Now with all of the discussion being made so far, do the majority prefer the 6 boat or the 8 boat heats? It CANNOT with until race time. Too much race setup for the heats is required in advance so I must have an firm answer by April 5th.

Last edited by a moderator:
John

Deryl and I want 8 boats heats...these are small boats and the reason for a "World Tunnel Championship" is to race against the best. You made a statement in your post that "I made the change"...Not sure why this wasn't a "club wide discussion on the amount of boats in each heat either". In the past when I have organized the event it has never been a issue. By the time everyone checks in you have alot of "No shows", "My boat isn't running" ect and racers that don't even show up...so your number will be decreased right from the start. And by the 4th and 5th round I never thought it was to hard to combine the heats. I want to be Pit Boss so I will be glad to help you with this part. The beauty of R/C Racing Events is it does most of the work for you..not like the older race programs. You can have all your heat sheets done in less than a hour a day prior to a race if you want too. There are enough club members so that all the work doesn't have to rest on your shoulders......it is up to you John to ask for help.

I am with Ron Shaw on this....Why change something that has worked in the past and risk racers not coming to our races.

Just my opinion.....jj

Jeni,

The change made was to allow for 6 or 8 boat heats. We can go either way now. If it was continuing as it normally does, 6 boat heats would not work. It will have unbalanced heats and not fair competition among the racers. Simple solution to posture ourselves to do the best for the race whatever direction we finally go and that has been done.

I am very experienced in combining heats at every race. But you set the race from the outset to minimze it and to reduce the workload at the race. There are very few no shows at the race that did not cancel a week or so before the race. Dropping out a boat during open water and in the race always happens. But you PLAN on reducing the variables early. It makes for an easier run race for all. I do not want to have to scramble heats from the very start. Freqently rounds 3-5 are where real alignments take place.

We have scratched hard for help running the race. We'll see how much CMB help is offered at race time. Asking for help is ALWAYS done.

Oh by the way, look at all of the comments posted on the thread. You clearly see two opinions and their reasoning. I can see both positions. But I want to see a final opinion from the incoming racers on their preference and then the club will decide at our club fun run next month what direction we will go for the race. That decision is still to be made, nothing in stone yet.

CMB,

I'm glad you all are looking at all sides here. You know my vote from the post above. Keep the 8 boat heats in all WTC classes and 8 boat heats in all Fall Nats heats other than maybe twin hydro, f hydro, and F mono. Don't break what's not broken. Thanks.... :)

CMB,

I'm glad you all are looking at all sides here. You know my vote from the post above. Keep the 8 boat heats in all WTC classes and 8 boat heats in all Fall Nats heats other than maybe twin hydro, f hydro, and F mono. Don't break what's not broken. Thanks.... :)

Ron,

This for now is only for the WTC race, not the Fall Nats. In the meantime, go back and review the thread started by Joe Warren, IMPBA boat lmit, general topic, page 4, post #47. Changes were made for 2012 Fall Nats race and very few noticed at all. No complaints BTW.

And for now I shall leave it as that.

CMB,

Ron,

This for now is only for the WTC race, not the Fall Nats. In the meantime, go back and review the thread started by Joe Warren, IMPBA boat lmit, general topic, page 4, post #47. Changes were made for 2012 Fall Nats race and very few noticed at all. No complaints BTW.

And for now I shall leave it as that.
Sounds great John!!!! Thanks for the update. Hopefully WTC 8 boat heats will be the club's decision.... :D

If anyone wants 2013 World Tunnel Championship t shirts I need you to go to the thread I posted and get your order in...I will have very few to sell at race . I need to be placing my shirt order by the first week in April. Thanks for the ones who have already ordered. Thanks jj

To all racers:

Many of you entered with the option to mail in the payment for the race entries. Please pay special note that the payment in full MUST be received by April 25th as noted in rcracingevents. A check or money order to the Charleston Model Boaters is due by that date. If I do not get the payment by the due date, your entries will be dropped from the race unless you have made advance arrangements with me. I will not have the time to take payments at the race and this race requires advance payment. Forward you payment to me at:

Charleston Model Boaters

C/O John Knight

8661 Laurel Grove Lane

North Charleston, SC 29420

Please do NOT send the payment requiring a signature. I cannot chase down the mail at the Post Office. Delivery confirmation will give you the same information for delivery.

If you need to get in touch with me, my e mail is [email protected] Please do not PM me, e mail is best.

Thanks and looking forward to seeing many very soon.

John

John, Verify you still have slots for P-Lim. I might send William down with another boat. I'm trying to keep him busy so he stays out of trouble..... :D

Back