2007 Fast Electric Nats.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the 2007 NAMBA FE Nationals, our club has decided to run a couple of exhibition classes that reflect on some of our local flavour. One is the 1/10th scale boats, which should include members from both Classic Thunder and E-RCU, as well as some of our PSFEMBC club members. These boats are BEAUTIFUL and should be fun to watch.

The other class is going to be a Spec class for the AquaCraft SV27, called Spec SV27 (how appropriate! ;) ) The class is designed so as to take the emphasis off of equipment and prep, and more on driving and fun. As such, the rules only allow for some specific modifications, designed to increase reliablity and make tuning a little simpler and NOT to change the general characteristics and performance of the boat as it's delivered. In other words, a boat that has been fully prepped to these rules should NOT be at a significant peformance advantage to one that has just come off the shelf. Hopefully that is relected in these rules.

We will be releases some Supps to these rules (as provided by the rules) to clarify the prop selection for this event.

I can tell you this much concerning the supps... Props will be provided to all competitors entered into this class and measures will be taken to ensure that parity is maintained concerning the props. More details on this when they are finalized, but rest assured, it's going to be FUN and an interesting race.

Race length will be 5-lap sprints. This will be detailed in the supps as well...

We will be printing official copies of these rules to be provided to the entrants prior to the event (with their entry package, I imagine...), but we thought some might be interested in seeing them now so they can prepare...

Here are the rules we will use for this event:

2007 NAMBA FE Nationals - PSFEMBC Spec SV27 Rules said:
This class is a spec series for the AquaCraft SuperVee27® (SV27) RTR Brushless Mono in its stock form. Only a select set of well defined modifications will be allowed. The boat will otherwise remain OEM stock.
Spec SV27 races will be held as either a standard 5-Lap Sprint Race or a 10-Lap endurance race. The hosting club shall announce the official race length prior to date of the race.

Allowed Modifications:

The SV27 must remain in stock form, using only OEM parts as delivered, with the exception of the following allowances:

1. Factory flex cable assembly and motor coupler may be replaced with any .150” Flex cable assembly and appropriate motor coupler. The distance from the transom to the propeller shall not be altered. Motor output shaft may be trimmed to facilitate installation of motor coupler and to increase coupler to stuffing tube clearance.

2. Material may be removed at the forward end of the strut housing to eliminate interference with the transom, but no further aft than the leading edge of the strut’s vertical mounting bracket.

3. Holes in the stock trim tabs may be opened up to allow tabs to be aligned flush with the bottom of the hull. Alternate trim tabs may be fitted provided they serve no other purpose and that the wetted area does not exceed 33mm (1.3 in.) in length by 29mm (1.14 in.) in width. Alternate tabs may be adjustable. Alternate tabs must be mounted in the OEM location and have the width of the wetted area centered on this location.

4. Stock turn fin must be retained unmodified, but the leading edge may be sharpened. No modifications to the mounting bracket or bracket location are allowed. No additional fins are allowed. A mounting bracket for a left side fin may be present, but shall not be used.

5. Stock rudder may be sharpened and water cooling hole may be cleaned up to improve cooling. No other modifications to rudder are permitted.

6. Motor Water cooling jacket may be replaced. Water cooling outlet may be modified or replaced. Water cooling tubing may be replaced.

7. Receiver and transmitter may be replaced. An FM Radio package is recommended.

8. Any antenna may be used. Holes may be drilled in the hull to mount a replacement antenna, provided they serve no other purpose. Existing antenna hole may be filled or covered.

9. The hull, from the chines up, may be painted or have graphics applied as desired. Hull bottom may be “scuffed”, but must otherwise remain stock.

10. Any adjustment within the designed range of adjustment for any part is permitted. No part may be modified to provide adjustment beyond the given factory tolerances.

11. Fasteners may be replaced with metric or standard replacements.

12. The forward portion of the wooden battery tray may be modified or removed and velcro may be added to facilitate adjusting battery location forward.

13. Hatch may be taped down. Factory locking mechanism may be removed and existing holes filled or taped over.

14. Battery requirements: Any capacity Sub-C NiMh 12-cell battery set will be permitted. OEM connectors shall be retained.

15. OEM propeller shall be used. Propeller may be cleaned up to remove flashing, but must otherwise remain unmodified.

Alternately, a hosting club may specify a propeller for an event, provided they supply supplemental regulations clarifying the propeller selection. The host club must take measures to insure that all propellers for the event are prepared as equitably as possible and to notify competitors in advance of the propeller selection.

Records shall only be maintained using the OEM propeller as specified above.
No other modifications or substitution of parts is permitted. Any repairs required do to race damage must be done in a fashion so as to return the SV27 to it’s factory specifications. Inspection for compliance with these rules will be at the discretion of the event CD, and boats exhibiting modification or unauthorized repairs beyond the scope of these rules will be excluded from competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm reading the rules right for the 1/10 scale Lipos are not allowed, is this right? Thanks

If you are associated with ERCU and I think you are (this is Ron isn't it) then we will be able to run what is legal within our rules.

Jim Clark

If I'm reading the rules right for the 1/10 scale Lipos are not allowed, is this right? Thanks

Spec SV27 Update:

If any of you are considering entering the Spec SV27 class (dude... how can you NOT enter this class!! ;) )... I wanted to give you a heads up...

Our club, in conjunction with AquaCraft Models and GrimRacer Boat Parts and Accessories, will be providing props for this class. The exact details of this are yet to be finalized, so I can't say yet exactly what the prop will be. When the info is officially available, I'll post the supplemental regulations concerning props and the handout procedures.

Until then... I'd suggest than anyone considering racing in this class go out and get some practice with a sharpened and balanced ABC 42x55 prop... :ph34r:

I'll post more when I have the details... B)

UPDATE!

OK Guys... they're almost here...

Just a couple of reminders...

For Spec SV27 exhibition class, AquaCraft and Grimracer have graciously agreed to supply spec props for the class, which will be the Grimracer 42x55 prop in stock, unmodified form. Here are the supplemental rules governing how props will be handled for this class:

2007 NAMBA FE Nationals

Supplemental Regulations

Class: Spec SV27

Propellers:

In an attempt to promote balanced and fun competition for all experience levels, propellers for the Spec SV27 class shall be provided to the competitors by the hosting club of the 2007 NAMBA Fast Electric Boat Racing National Championships, in conjunction with AquaCraft Models™ and GrimRacer™ Boat Parts and Accessories.

The Propeller specified for the 2007 NAMBA Fast Electric Nationals will be the AQUACRAFT GRIMRACER 42x55 METAL PROP, AquaCraft part number: AQUB9725.

Procedure:

The propellers supplied for the event shall be placed into a bowl or other suitable container, the propeller pool, prior to the start of the event, and kept at a designated location.

Before each heat, entrants shall gather with the officials at the designated location and draw a propeller from the container. The propeller the competitor draws shall be used for that heat by that competitor. The propeller may not be modified in any way.

At the end of a heat, the propellers are to be returned to the event officials at the designated location to be inspected and placed back into the propeller pool.

This procedure will be repeated for each subsequent heat at the event.

Any competitor competing with a propeller that has been modified to gain a competitive advantage shall be disqualified from that heat. Repeat infractions shall result in disqualification from the event.

Any propellers that appear damaged or are deemed unacceptable shall be removed from the pool and replaced with a new propeller.

Also, for those competing in the "O"-Classes... remember that the legal nominal voltage range for this class is 7.6V-10V... Your 2S Lipo setups will NOT be legal for this class.

Per the NAMBA Class Power Specifications (Section 28, page #5-6, D.1.a), O-Classes have designated power limits of 7.6 to 10 Volts nominal. As such, it will NOT be legal for you to run your 2S Lipo powered N2 boats in this class, as the nominal voltage for this setup is only 7.4V, based on Section 28, page 1, A.3.b, General Rules, which states that Li-Polymer chemistry has a nominal voltage of 3.7V/cell...

You would, however, be legal with a 3S setup of Li-Ion chemestry cells, which are nominally only 3.3V/cell, per the rules... so a 3S A123 setup would tech at 9.9V nominal...

Otherwise, you will need to use 7 or 8 NiMH chem cells to be legal for this class...

You can, however, legally run up to two packs in parallel...

Hopefully an updated and finalized event schedule will be posted on the Nats site soon...

Looking forward to a great weekend of racing and fun!

Update: Final Schedule posted!!

Hey Guys...

Here is the final Schedule for classes, based on entries, for the 2007 FE NAMBA Nationals in Monroe, Washington:

• Wednesday => Open Water
  • Thursday===> N2-Offshore, N1-Hydro, P-OPC Tunnel, N1-mono
  • Friday=====> N2-Sport Hydro, LSH, P-Offshore
  • Saturday===> O-Sport Hydro, P-Mono, 1/10th Scale Div. 1, N2-Mono
  • Sunday====> P-Sport Hydro, 1/10th Scale Div. 2, SuperVee 27 Mono, N2-Hydro

Total Entries is 44...

Entry numbers per class are as follows (based on what's on the Nats website...):

• N1-Mono___________9
  • N1-Hydro__________ 6 (I think there are going to be at least two scratches, possibly 3, however...)
  • N2-Mono___________7 (I think there may be one additional entry, so possibly 8)
  • N2-Sport Hydro_____ 15
  • N2-Offshore_________8
  • O-Sport Hydro_______7
  • P-Mono____________16
  • P-Sport Hydro______11
  • P-Offshore_________10
  • P-OPC_____________5
  • LSH_______________15
  • SuperVee 27________16
  • 1/10th Scale Div. 1___13
  • 1/10th Scale Div. 2___9

Looks like some full classes, which means some heated competition in those classes!! Should be FUN!

Darin,

Can not wait. Im blown away that the SV27 class has tied the total entries as P mono.. FANTASTIC..

I have to tell you.. I really do not give a huge hoot how I do at this race because I know Im going to have a BLAST no matter what.. If we pull one out of our you know what that cool but the goal for me here is to meet new people and have some run racing BOATS..

Me.. Im racing

LSH (bandit shovel)

SV27 (SV27)

P Mono (SV27)

and

P Sport Hydro ( :ph34r: )

ROCK ON

Grim

Me.. Im racing
LSH (bandit shovel)

SV27 (SV27)

P Mono (SV27)

and

P Sport Hydro ( :ph34r: )

ROCK ON

Grim
Killer... I'm VERY intersted to see what you have in mind for P-Sport Hydro... ;)

I'm racing the following:

N1-Hydro

N1-Mono

N2-Offshore

N2-Mono

N2-Sport

P-Mono

P-Offshore

Spec SV27

and I just decided to race in O-Sport as well... (I found a couple of 8-cell packs in my stuff that should work one more time... ;) )

This should be fun...

Mike Z's and Russ W's boats arrived today. I'm hoping someone will be able to help me find a good needle-valve setting on my SV 27BL during practice water next Wednesday. :p Not sure what percent nitro to burn in the brushless motor. ;)

JD

Hey Grim I'm going to come out and get in your Face! :lol: The nats are in my back door and I hope you won't mind some nitro junkie coming up and saying HI. Just ask JD I'm basically harmless. Greg

Hi Guys,

Good luck to everyone at the race! Looks to be a great event that I'll look forward to hearing about.

Hey Mike, you guys picked a good one to go to. Nothing like being tossed in the lions den. :lol:

Paul.

Paul,

You know me better then that.. Aint no boat race out there that im afraid of..

Then again.... there is a REAL GOOD CHANCE that when i get my your know what handed to me its going to be in the form of a hot brushless up the arss..

Should be fun

Grim

Paul,
You know me better then that.. Aint no boat race out there that im afraid of..

Then again.... there is a REAL GOOD CHANCE that when i get my your know what handed to me its going to be in the form of a hot brushless up the arss..

Should be fun

Grim
And I've been using Preparation H for my hemorrhoids. :lol:

JD

I understand our boats made it safe to Wa.. its just now that they are in danger of being modified... Jerry has already stated that he might pull the brushless out of the P sport and toss in a nitro engine.. Its a MUTINY.

Grim

Jerry has already stated that he might pull the brushless out of the P sport and toss in a nitro engine.. Its a MUTINY.
Grim
Don't do THAT!! It'll go SLOWER!! :p

I can't WAIT until you guys get a glimpse of what we are doing out here... The weather forcast is looking good, and there are some VERY fast guys with VERY fast boats prepping as I type... (hey, wait... does that mean I'm not one of them??? :huh: ... ;) )

I know you guys will miss the fumes, and I'm very hopefull, and somewhat confident, that we won't be providing you with any of the "magic smoke" either... You'll just have to enjoy the smell of the dairy farm just up the road from the lake instead! :blink:

Seriously... this should be fun!

OH, also... The SuperVees are going to REPRESENT!! I personally have two of them prepped... The one is prepped for the Spec SV27 class, and it may do double-duty as a P-Offshore boat... The other would still fit within the parameters of Spec SV27, but I've replaced the Motor and ESC with something a little more "potent"... I'm using it for N2-Offshore, and maybe P-Mono with another motor swap... Depends on if I can get the right battery combo to make it survive... (I don't currently have any 4S setups...)...

I know there are at least 5 signed up for P-Mono and also for P-Offshore... Won't be the fastest, but if one can stay upright, you never really know what might happen!

Back