1968 atlas van lines "skateboard" U-35

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave weagel

does anyone have 1/8 scale framing templates for the 1968 atlas van lines U-35 skateboard ?

david newton does not have this plan set. it was listed as the no. 143 plan but has been removed from his website.

i think there was a 1/8 scale U-35 atlas at the internets in evansville 5 or 6 years ago. does anyone have photos or know the builder ?

trying to add photo here, any help appreciated.

thank you,

dave weagel

I have looked back but found nothing on this hull racing in Evansville. You might be able to enlarge the mhr 6544 to work

thank you mike, i have 2 photos of the model taken at the evansville internets. i think 2002 , unless another internats or similar race held in evansville in 2003 / 2004. i have to scan my photos and post.

do you remember a zen 23 powered phil thomas karelsen round nose at same race ? how about the gas engine powered blender making iced drinks ?

i'll look at 6544 again. to me the U-35 / 6835 looks more like a longer , flatter lauterbach. i asked phil thomas to post the photo from the newton web site. was plan no 143 but david can't find the plan.

watermark.php.jpegatlas-1.jpghk_Atlas_1968.jpghere's a photo of the 6835. i'm looking for a set of plans or templates, thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah the blender may have tetched my memory. Could the boat you speak of be the one Rod and David Hall were working on. I thought it was Ms Peps? I have asked my club members if they have any Nats pics

thank you again mike. i'l post my photos tomorrow. you'll see that the 1/8 scale model was an exact replica of the 1968 U-35 atlas in photos above.

yes, that gas engine blender. i don't remember the miss peps but definitely remember the atlas and the phil thomas 1/8 scale karelsen rd nose with a zen 23 gas engine. bare hull, no paint, experimental project. maybe dean wirges and phil thomas project.

can't remember who built the atlas. hoping to get plans from him.

Hey Dave,

I did a little research for you. The hull was designed and built by Fred Wickens who also constructed the first $ Bill . The U-35 hull was operated by Bob Fendler in 1968. My reference shows the boat was also U-35 Lincoln Thrift in 1974 - however, not in MHR, and Who's Who doesn't show it at any race.

The U-35 Atlas Van Lines (2) raced at all 10 races in 1968, her best finish was 3rd at the 22 Sept San Diego Cup. Hull finished 8th in the National High point standings. CHEERS !!! Bob

thank you dbm, didn't think that hull raced under any other sponsorship let alone 6 years later. as you say, not in the MHR.

what does the number 2 in parenthesis in second paragraph mean ?

interesting info regarding the boat's race history and standings. later tonight i will post photos of the 1/8 scale that i saw back in 2002. hoping to find the builder in order to get plans or templates from him.

thank you

You're right,Dave. That "surfboard" hull never did race as anything else & that's why it is not in the MHR as such. The (2) means it was the second Atlas Van Lines. The first was a 1967 version of the '59 U-00 Maverick. Bob Fendler, then a California lawyer, founded the Lincoln Thrift Assoc. in 1967 & painted more than one boat for display only; One of the best examples was the 5719 Miss Rocket hull (better known as the Coral Reef) which was painted in 1968 as the 'Lincoln Thrift' Miss and again in 1974 as the Lincoln Thrift 1 but never raced as either. Coincidentally, the 5719 did race in 1969 as the third Atlas Van Lines!

There is a guy here locally http://rosecitymodelyacht.info/boats.php#

that has one of these built. I do not know his name off hand. Neat looking boat thats for sure.

AVL_Lg.jpg

Hey Dave,

Louie Baumann is here in my neck of the woods - I'll try to raise him through a Friend and ask for you. May take a few days.

Grim,

Do you recall what year Louie had one?? I just found out lately, that the step mono "Quicksilver" Unlimited Louie had for a while was actually built by Rod Geraghty. Louie always has loved obscure Unlimiteds - Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

db, grim and jeff,

yes, louie baumann was the guy that had the 1/8 scale U-35 at the 2002 internets in evansville. a beauty for sure. hoping that louie has plans or templates for his 1/8 hull. i think the 1/8 hull would be about 52 inches long. need to check the 1/8 MHR.

a big hull that should be a good for gas power if i can figure out how to prevent blow offs.

jeff, do you know what size your friend's U-35 hull is ? is it traditional wood framing or wood over foam ? i'd like to contact him about templates. i'll follow the link you provided.

i'm trying to post photos of louie's 1/8 scale taken at the 2002 evansville race.

thank you to all that have replied.

Hey Dave,

I sent e-mail to Louie and gave him yours this evening. Good Luck. CHEERS !!! Bob

Dave, I talked to Jim Bickford of Puget Soung MBC last night. He is going to ask around. He thinks Mitch Dillard may have that boat in 1/10th scale. (I need to look back at the first page of this thread to see if Mitch was the one that posted those pics....opps!) We are going to find some templates for you Dave, I think you are getting closer and closer!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you mike.

yeah, getting closer. i'm hoping louie baumann will help with advice and plans. his atlas was a beauty.

dave

Back