1947 Miss Pepsi "Aquatruck"

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lennard Cuenco

Wanted to share this picture of a friends 1/8 scale build...

This is Roy Munoz's 3 time presidents cup winner 1947 Miss Pepsi. This photo does not do this boat justice. Its one of those boats with detailing that becomes better the closer you get. All of the deck fittings (deck air scoops and air releases) are hand made by Roy and his son Peter.

Apparently, one of the problems with this boat was the driver would have a bloody nose and other facial injuries after each heat because of the abuse he took behind the dual allison engines. Story goes that the cockpit had to be moved behind the transom to accomodate the dual power plants.

Additional info from thunderboats.org:

Miss Pepsi was a lengthened-out copy of My Sweetie by designer Hacker. Nicknamed "The Mahogany Cigar" and "The Aquatruck," Miss Pepsi was a 36-foot-long three-step hydroplane with two Allisons in tandem. She was the only boat--step or three-point--to be successful with twin-Allison power. Driven in all of her races by Chuck Thompson, Miss Pepsi was the ultimate step hydroplane, capable of lap speeds 8 to 10 miles per hour faster than any other fast-stepper ever built.

A three-time President's Cup winner, Miss Pepsi was the first boat to average over 100 miles per hour in a heat of the Gold Cup (in 1952). She was one of the few boats truly competitive with Slo-mo-shun IV and Slo-mo-shun V, the first successful three-point prop-riders in the Unlimited Class.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was lucky enough to see the MISS PEPSI run and win the PRES CUP the boat was beautiful :) :) :)

I would love to see some pics of that Miss Rock KISW you have sitting next to the Miss Pepsi!

"I would love to see some pics of that Miss Rock KISW ......"

Mike,

Have a look at Chris Denslow's Scans 1983 Columbia Cup on pages 5 and 6 for some good pics of the real boat. CHEERS !!! Bob

I believe that Roy's Miss Pepsi and the boat you are describing are two different boats. The Miss Pepsi you are describing is this boat:

Lohring Miller

Chuck Thompson was the race announcer for APBA racing at most events on the east coast until his health declined. I have a Miss Pepsi lapel pin he gave me when i was a kid .

I believe that Roy's Miss Pepsi and the boat you are describing are two different boats. The Miss Pepsi you are describing is this boat:

Lohring Miller

your Right Lohring it is a different boat it the 1947 Pepsi V ..

Chuck Thompson was the race announcer for APBA racing at most events on the east coast until his health declined. I have a Miss Pepsi lapel pin he gave me when i was a kid .
Yea, Chucks health declined in 1966, hitting a series of holes in front of the Whittier Hotel on the Detroit River driving the Miss Smirnoff.

As a kid, I had a neighbor who used to build engines for Chucks smaller hydros (255 ci buicks I believe) we all looked at him as a god, it was tragic to see him die at the 66 Detroit race.

Will have Leannard take some better pictures of the Pepsi V and have him post them..
Roy doesn't know it yet..but I'm going to snap some photos of his Miss Rock, Speedy Printing and Thriftway for you guys too! (spoon requested Miss Rock)

shhh! ;)

Here's a few pictures of Roy's Pepsi. None of them running yet........come on Roy,"Get ur Wet!"

Pep009.jpg

Pep006.jpg

Pep007.jpg

Pep004.jpg

Pep003.jpg

There is even a story in the name. While commonly called Miss Pepsi, it never ran the full company name in competition as corporate sponsorships were frowned upon. Hence, as Roy has it, Miss Peps: V. Ah the good old days when the boats looked more like pieces of furniture rather than the "billboards" of today!

Happy Holidays to all! Larry K

I glad you enjoyed them .And for the kind words..I injoy building the older stlyle boats and trying to make the the hard ware. Now I have to look for another project of an older one...

Back