.18 exhaust throttles

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAMBA860

im in the middle of manufacturing exhaust throttles for .18 engines and venturis the first one will be on an os .18 tz. it will be 180 deg set up still so no other mods will have to be done to the boat.

Interested too. Can this exhaust be retro fitted to side exhaust too? ie Os CV rm 18's. Can you send me a pic too.

From seeing it in person, I can say I want one! It makes complete sense to run this combo on the TZ/vegas application. The craftsmanship is top notch and there was a lot of testing that went into the design. For those that want pics, I would just have to tell you that, it looks like a exhaust throttled 18.

Forest,

I don't mean to jump on this thread, but are you still anodizing metals? If yes, do you anodize with boron nitride for like pistons, cranks and engine cases?

Thanks

Ron

what gains were produced????? this is old school stuff,,, im not seeing the point... a proper carb should be all you need... :unsure: ...

alden

does this only work on .18 or can u use on other motors

.21 .25 .28 or what still not sure what it does but sound

cool lol

exhaust throttles have been used for ages... they were great back when carbs were in there infancy stages,, carbs have come a long way since then though... k&b had lots of exhaust throttle engines... they ran darn good too,,, but carbs moved along and the exhuast throttles went out...people still do use them... i just dont see it gaining much over a nice carby.....

alden

With a exhaust throttle isnt it a very dirty running setup? just from what I heard from the old timers. I know I just sold some exhaust throttled for .45 OPS engines and I have another for a K&B .40 motor, motor included if interested.

Roy

you are correct roy,,, they tend to leak... dirty up the inside of a boat quick like...

rome,, it does exactly what it is called,,, the throttle is in the exhaust,,, instead of the intake side... so no carb,,, just a open venturi... then the exhaust flange has a butterfly in it to open and close off the exhaust,,,this works as your throttle... the messy leak that roy was talking about comes from the shaft for the butterfly,, fuel/oil passes by the shaft and drips off the flange...not a big problem when they were new,, but over time leaked worse and worse...

alden

I guess in a rigger boat it is a easy clean up job but I would hate to clean it out of a mono. From what I do know I guess that exhaust throttles set up correctly can push a boat like it is on rails.

Roy

Does this exhaust throttle have a butterfly flap/door or like rotary carb (rotating hole) without the gas lines in it?

Last edited by a moderator:
A few things to think about.

Exhaust throttles typically idle higher then carbs (not so much an issue with rc boats, just a note)

Exhaust throttles dont have much throttle range. More like a light switch. really true with a pipe. Not so much a problem with Riggers and monos but sport hydros and tunnels it can be a problem.

Grim

Has the question be answered about performance gains? Or what attributes on this application are enhanced?

Back