.12 Rigger Servos??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wswatzell

What is everyone using in there .12 riggers for steering, & throttle. I am thinking that I might be able to use a mini servo for the throttle, but I am not sure, I don't have any experience with riggers. :- I would like to use a small servo that has a lot of torque for the steering, but I can afford digital :'( so that is out. Let me know!

Wade,

I keep hearing that the Hitec HS225BB or HS225MG Mighty Mini servos are fine for 12 riggers. 66.65 oz/in on 5 cell and 54.15 on 4 cell. Price is right at 22.95 for BB and 30.95 for MG. and they are light. Just go Servo City on the net.

Don

Wade, why didn't you ask me? I used the Hi-Tec 225 for the rudder. Gary Preusse told me that I could go smaller, the H-80 or H-81. It looks too small to me but he knows more than I do! I got one in Toledo for $19.00 from Cermark.

Ron,

I was going to ask you this tomorrow. ;D I am not quite ready for servos yet, but I wanted to know what the general thoughts are.

Don, I will have to check them out.

Do you guys think Futaba servos are better quality or are they just over priced?

My favorite rudder servo is the Futaba 3102 .74 oz. $68.00

Hitec 225 same specs 1.09 oz $30.00

Cost 38.00 to save .25 oz thats if you want 50-60 in. of torque

Looks like 2 Hitec HS81 servos might be the way to go for weight and cost. .67oz $18.00 ea.

-MikeP

Hitec has the cheap stuff.

.5 oz 4 ch. for 40.00

Alot of guys swear by Hitec stuff. I always though of it as cutting quality to save money. I have never used it. But I am going to give it a try and see for myself.

-MikeP

www.servocity.com has everything you could need from hitec, also they are the cheapest i've found... sometimes their customer service bites though. forget about getting a response email. they've always delivered though, and the shipping is freeeeee!

man, i have some hs-81mg and sure they are small and light, but i'd have to see it to believe it that they could turn a boat.... even a 12 rigger

ive only had 1 hitec servo fail..... it must got wet about a dozen times to do it. it was a micro hs81 i think

on the upside..... hitec service has been very good to me. i broke the steering wheel on my lynx3d and they sent me a new one for free! i wanted some decals for my boat..... sent them for free..... i should send that servo to them to see if they replace it for free.... i would not be suprised

BTY i would not use that micro servo for rudder.... id stick with the hs225 i dont think it is worth the risk if it were to fail

I didn't know they made 4 ch ground receivers. I have never really been around the ground radios until last yr.

oh, for those who want to try hitec hs81's, save yourself a headache and get the ones with the metal gears. i've used them for throttle with good results, the linkage must slide easily though.... :-

Hey guys, just my opinion on the HS-81's, I have them in all of my boats for throttle and now for third channel mixture, I also use them on my Topfuel Dragster for steering with no problems. They have quite a bit of torque for there size but I dont know whether they would be sufficient for steering on a .12 rigger. definately go with metal gears though. Just my .02 ~ James

they'd probably steer a 12 boat, but i prefer more reliability over the meager weight savings .... just a lil weak imho. hs-225MG's are awesome

I had to replace the 225 in the HH .12, it sounded like it stripped the plastic gears. There is an H-80 sitting in there now so I'll find out during the Fun Run if it holds up. BTW, the 225 went South from some binding with the linkage hitting a misdrilled hole in the transom. Fixed now.

Back