10th Annual Gary Johnson Grand Prix Classic

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That time of year is approaching once again and planning for the Gary Johnson Grand Prix Classic is back in full swing. We are looking to have some cool and pleasant surprises this year so stay tuned. For Entry form and updates feel free to visit the official GPC website at http://www.grandprixclassic.com.

I had first entered a very brief post to announce the GPC event but after some thought I believed it was necessary to reiterate that vision as we prepare for the 2011 Gary Johnson Grand Prix Classic.

The Grand Prix Classic was inspired by Alfred Lanza 10 years ago. He was a newer boater at the time who wanted to put in a hand at putting on a race. He thought we could do more to make the races more attractive for racers to come from outside our region just to race R/C Boats and he was right. I appreciated his enthusiasm so I offered to help with all the skills God has blessed me with. Since both of us had frequented the scene of the local car shows, we both had some ideas on how to attract a crowd. With so much more entertainment all around us than when this hobby started it was necessary to raise the fun meter up several notches to compete with all the other hobby/activities out there. As a result the Grand Prix Classic has continued year after year, rain or shine for 10 years now.

In more recent years RC Car Multi-National Champion, Multi-World Champion on just about every Class of Fast R/Cs on wheels, Kyosho, VP, and son of the first NAMBA President Gary Johnson, Joel Johnson, joined our event. I thought this would be an excellent event to honor his father as the First President of NAMBA and the vision he had for the NAMBA organization or any R/C organization for that matter.

My Dad and I were dear friends of Gary Johnson. I remember going to his house on many occasions as he painted, lettered and stripped many R/C boats in his days using his long time sign painting skills. Over the years Gary was always looking for ways to add more fun to the hobby. I believe the Nationals, paddle boat race was an idea that he came up with just as an event to help draw the members together more using an event that would be based more on fun and not competition. He always wanted us to remember to have fun, knowing at times we lose site of that as we get engulfed in the pursuit of winning. So for each one of you who take the time to read this remember the reason you started this hobby. It wasn't to go fast. It wasn't to beat your rivals. It wasn't to take a home a trophy or wear the crown of a Championship. You did it because you'd thought it would be fun. This year, in 2011... Let's keep that spirit of R/C boat racing in mind.

If you can make it, I Look forward to seeing you at the Grand Prix. If you can't we will be sure to document the event well for your online enjoyment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roger,

Props-4-U would be happy to supply some race ready propellers for your

raffle, or for the winners of: A-Tunnel,Sport 21,& 1/8th Scale classes.

Let me know when you need them by?

Happy New Year,

Mark Sholund

Roger,

Props-4-U would be happy to supply some race ready propellers for your

raffle, or for the winners of: A-Tunnel,Sport 21,& 1/8th Scale classes.

Let me know when you need them by?

Happy New Year,

Mark Sholund
Thanks Mark,

How about we just do a Gift Certificate. That way people can get what they really want? I will add you to our list of sponsors today.

Roger,

See open off shore on the class's to run .... VERY COOL !!

** Question is what hulls can we run ?

is it limited to hulls racing that weekend ... or can we bring out the nitro and gas monos too :p

Roger,

is it limited to hulls racing that weekend ... or can we bring out the nitro and gas monos too :p
Hey Scott,

There was some talk about having more fun races and the Grand Prix has pulled more entries than the our district races over the past two or three years while still only offering a fraction of the classes. So maybe the appeal of the "Fun Race" is greater than district racing. At least for the time being. Only time will tell. It may just be a feeling of something fresh, new or different. A change of pace if you will. Nevertheless I have taken all of this into consideration and talked to Alfred about changing our program up a bit. I thought about opening the event up to all the same classes we run in the district but but requiring a 6 boat minimum. But then I was thinking "Fun Race". If someone wants to run their boat we should provide them the opportunity no matter how big the class. In talking with Alfred brought up the idea of offering an offshore class. I liked that idea as our Marine Modelers club used to do a deep vee race every winter called the Deep Freeze. I've loved offshore racing with the right and left turns ever since but don't often get a chance to do it. Even the nationals have done away with the class. So in answer to your question it looks like we will have an open offshore class where nitro, gas and even electrics can run. I won't say that is set in stone just yet but a pretty good possibility.

Stay tuned for additional announcement as Alfred and I retune the event in an attempt to achieve maximum satisfaction for our customers, who is everyone in attendance looking for an entertaining experience.

Roger,

Hey Scott,

There was some talk about having more fun races and the Grand Prix has pulled more entries than the our district races over the past two or three years while still only offering a fraction of the classes. So maybe the appeal of the "Fun Race" is greater than district racing. At least for the time being. Only time will tell. It may just be a feeling of something fresh, new or different. A change of pace if you will. Nevertheless I have taken all of this into consideration and talked to Alfred about changing our program up a bit. I thought about opening the event up to all the same classes we run in the district but but requiring a 6 boat minimum. But then I was thinking "Fun Race". If someone wants to run their boat we should provide them the opportunity no matter how big the class. In talking with Alfred brought up the idea of offering an offshore class. I liked that idea as our Marine Modelers club used to do a deep vee race every winter called the Deep Freeze. I've loved offshore racing with the right and left turns ever since but don't often get a chance to do it. Even the nationals have done away with the class. So in answer to your question it looks like we will have an open offshore class where nitro, gas and even electrics can run. I won't say that is set in stone just yet but a pretty good possibility.

Stay tuned for additional announcement as Alfred and I retune the event in an attempt to achieve maximum satisfaction for our customers, who is everyone in attendance looking for an entertaining experience.
Ok, will keep an ear to the tracks and wait for "Whats up" .... have a gas mono that go's left at full song just fine ;)

BTW, Happy New Year

I believe I can drag one or two racers down from the Pacific Northwest with me. We would like to run some electric boats as well as gas. Could we run P spec tunnels with the A mod tunnels? Our boats are a little faster than the local stock tunnels but not yet as fast as the mod boats. I could also bring a Q spec tunnel (an electric XT=460) to run with the B tunnels and an electric 1/8 scale to run with the nitro boats. All these boats use low cost components that are picked to have roughly the same power as the nitro engines they replace. Brian Buaas is also thinking about an electric twin for the twin class.

We should have a couple of thunderboats, gas monos, and my GX1 cat. This is my favorite tune up race. With the Nationals in LA, it should be a good year. I'm glad you got away from Valentine's Day.

Lohring Miller

Hey Lohring,

Glad you plan to make it. Yes it sounds like all of your choices will be just fine. I enjoy pitching the electrics against the nitro. Focus has kind of turned away from the outboard classes and went to gas here in our district so people are not putting as much time into making the outboards really fast like the days when Alfred was really blazing the course with them. For that reason you may find your electric boats very competitive with the mod boats. I hope Brian does bring his Electric Twin. That would be killer to see.

As far as the date. In past year's we have moved away from the Valentine's Day weekend but could never seem to escape the rain. Moving up seem to give us a better chance of sunshine. But to accommodate those who prefer not to race on their Valentine's Day weekend and to avoid conflict with D19 race schedule for those who wanted to attend our race as well, we moved the date back to the 19th and 20th.

I just talked to Brian. The electric twin probably won't happen in time, but P spec and Q spec (Leecraft XT-460) tunnels should be coming. Tell Alfred to dust his off. In addition we should be bringing two 1/8 scale electric boats. We have a couple of P spec riggers that could run with the A hydros. We'll have enough boats so some others can try electrics. We'll have a gas rigger, cat, and 2 monos available as well. Check with the District 19 guys and see what they can bring. It can be a pre nationals test race.

Lohring Miller

I just talked to Brian. The electric twin probably won't happen in time, but P spec and Q spec (Leecraft XT-460) tunnels should be coming. Tell Alfred to dust his off. In addition we should be bringing two 1/8 scale electric boats. We have a couple of P spec riggers that could run with the A hydros. We'll have enough boats so some others can try electrics. We'll have a gas rigger, cat, and 2 monos available as well. Check with the District 19 guys and see what they can bring. It can be a pre nationals test race.

Lohring Miller
Awwww... I am bummed about the Electric Twin. But all is well. The P spec and Q spec sounds great though. I will tell Alfred to get ready. Not sure about the 20 Hydro class being added but if there is enough interest I am sure there is no problem to add it. If so, I might want to try my hand at one of those electric boats. Sounds cool.

Lohring Miller
Awwww... I am bummed about the Electric Twin. But all is well. The P spec and Q spec sounds great though. I will tell Alfred to get ready. Not sure about the 20 Hydro class being added but if there is enough interest I am sure there is no problem to add it. If so, I might want to try my hand at one of those electric boats. Sounds cool.

I'll be there. Just like the Jackson 5 song..

Lohring Miller

And I'll be Mak'n it happen like the Mariah Carey song.

Either I'm blind or web site for event lacks an ENTRY FORM ?

We are less than 3 weeks out and need to register ... or just call Alfred up ?

Lohring Miller

You and Gary both... what the heck!.. man those are some Wicked Threads!

Maybe Joel can whip that jacket out of the moth balls because that had to be in his dads will.. just had to be..

And Dunny.. dont start.. I have some other VERY incriminating pictures of you as well.. dont make me post em!

You (and I have some good ones)

Maren

Gary Johnson

Gary Preusse

Marian Preusse

Bob Preusse

Ed Hughy

Ed Klaftus

Steve Muck

Mike Meblusch

John Bridge

And the list goes on..

You have seen Dons Hobby shop.. I have added more! And some is VERY VERY IMPBA / NAMBA historical..

Grim

You and Gary both... what the heck!.. man those are some Wicked Threads!

Maybe Joel can whip that jacket out of the moth balls because that had to be in his dads will.. just had to be..

And Dunny.. dont start.. I have some other VERY incriminating pictures of you as well.. dont make me post em!

You (and I have some good ones)

Maren

Gary Johnson

Gary Preusse

Marian Preusse

Bob Preusse

Ed Hughy

Ed Klaftus

Steve Muck

Mike Meblusch

John Bridge

And the list goes on..

You have seen Dons Hobby shop.. I have added more! And some is VERY VERY IMPBA / NAMBA historical..

Grim
Yeah, the one with the cigar and stripped bell bottom pants needs to be burned. I'm probably the only guy who has met all those folks you listed. Some great memories, for sure.

Good luck to all the participants in the Grand Prix. It appears Lohring Miller plans to put on another "electrifying" performance. It is "shocking" to see how fast his "current" LeeCraft XT460 goes as a FE Tunnel.

JD

Either I'm blind or web site for event lacks an ENTRY FORM ?

We are less than 3 weeks out and need to register ... or just call Alfred up ?

Lohring Miller

I'm sorry Scott. The link is on the first page of the site once the fancy loading screen goes away. Sorry I could have made the type bigger but I think I would have been covering everything else on the page. It says in Big Bold and All Caps Type "GET ENTRY FORM HERE" :lol:

Latest posts

Back