1/10 FE 7931 Dominos - MLBoatworks Kit

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Ross

Hey guys,

I figured since I have never done any build thread here on INTLWTRS I would make this one my first.

I currently have a vintage 1/10 scale U-77 Country Boy that I race here locally in the NW and this boat is going to be a great addition! I was very excited to get this one going and can't say enough about the ML kits and how easy they go together and how clean and percise all the parts are. It takes a lot of guess work out of things and you know you will have a great product once everything is glued together and will give you a great base to start fine tuning. Mike has done his homework and really appreciate all the support he gives!

This boat will raced under Namba Rules as well as Classic Thunder.

Under Namba rules I will be running a 1500kv proboat motor.

Classic Thunder it is open motor for modern boats so I am planning to start out with a FighterCat 3740 2000kv Outrunner.

Here is some pics so far of progress just a few hours into things.

I am using a piece of granite bought for $10 as my building board to be sure everything is nice flat and level.

Thanks to Mike for the tips on how to go about doing this, the toy tabs make it even easier since they pretty much hold everything together and keep them in place.

Tacking things down with CA and accelerator then will go over evrything with Epoxy once the framing is finshed and checked to be sure it is all square and even.

This method goes very quickly and works quite well!

IMG_6209.JPG

IMG_6210.JPG

IMG_6212.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright can't wait to see more work I been wanting to watch a build with a 1/10 scale kit cause I have two I plan on doing.

Here are the dimensions of the boat per Mikes specs:

Sponson Depth is 3/4"

Angle of attack is 4 degrees & 4.4 degrees

Length is 2' 10 97/128"

Width is exactly 18"

Tunnel Width is 9 1/8"

It is already sized fine for Namba rules but is a sliver to wide for Classic Thunder rules so I need to remember to sand a tiny bit off the sides when I have the framing finished.

I am hoping to make it look half as decent as Mikes 1/8 scale version of the boat he did since part of the reason I am doing this hull is because I saw his.

Stay tuned more to come soon.

Thanks for tagging along guys comments always welcome!!

Nose cone was glued together.

Another great design by Mike to help make this EZ!

Also worked in some voids to help keep the weight down as much as possble.

Each piece is pre labeled and gets glued in place, then sanded to a pattern (You can see it in picture 4) that is supplied in the kit and make sure it is shaped correctly and glue in place.

IMG_6216.JPG

IMG_6217.JPG

IMG_6219.jpg

IMG_6221.jpg

IMG_6222.jpg

IMG_6223.jpg

IMG_6214.JPG

I also got all the sticks in place but 2 on the sponsons, I ran out so I need to get some more to finish this part.

Nice that there is the laser etched lines on the kit to make sure everything is lining up the way it is suppose to.

I think I have the stringers on the flipped and are on the wrong sides after looking at Mikes build photos but I thought it worked better this way for me anyways to assist in making sure everything is aligned. The stringers are the same shape so I do not think it will be a big deal.

Kit is starting to stiffen up now that the sticks are in place.

Tunnel floor is next.

IMG_6225.jpg

IMG_6226.JPG

IMG_6227.jpg

IMG_6228.JPG

That nose assembly from ML Boatworks on this model is pretty amazing. Takes the guess work out. I'm getting ready to start the 1/8th scale version of the 7931 which will become the 79 Circus. Mike does great work :)

Nice the circus circus is a great looking boat!

The nose took me maybe 10min to sand down and have at shape it was VERY easy.

Looks great Jeff. Keep the pictures coming. Its nice to watch the builds progress.

Looking good Jeff. Got my personal 1/8th scale Dominos in the water last weekend. Its awesome. Here are some pics now that its totally finished! Maybe it will ramp you up! I am really proud of this hull. Its probably one of my cleanest builds ever in all honesty. Big thanks to Brian Anderson with RC Unlimiteds for all his help, paint codes and pictures that he took of the boat back in 1985! It powered by a Neu 1527, 8s1p 6500mah 35c hyperion pack setup, Castle Ice 200 w/ water cooling added, savox steering servo, x450 prop. Enjoy, Mike

2012-06-16_17-03-53_517.jpg

2012-06-16_17-04-19_339.jpg

2012-06-16_17-04-28_854.jpg

Very very nice MIKE!

Can I see a pic of the inside of the boats setup on it love to see how you have everything arranged!

I will pull it down tomorrow night and get some pics. Getting ready to chill for the evening. Mike

Awesome thanks.

I'm needing to sort out how I'm planning to mount things on the inside before I get any further to make sure my plan will work and make adjustments accordingly.

The tunnel floor was tacked in place with CA.

Then a couple coats of epoxy on the inside.

I am using MAS epoxy.

After that was dry I started to work on the sponson sides.

Tack glued them in place until it started to come to the curved part.

Then I epoxied those areas and let it dry. These areas I use a small amound of cabisol to the epoxy mix to get it nice and thick after the initial coat of plain epoxy goes on.

In some of the pics you will see I added chopped up fiberglass strands to the front part where the stick meets with the deck. Felt this area was a spot that needs some xtra reinforcment incase of damage it will hold up good and be nice and strong.

I also use triangle balsa on the areas where the deck sheets meet to once again add strength and a good area to bond to.

IMG_6494.jpg

IMG_6500.JPG

IMG_6501.jpg

IMG_6502.jpg

Looking really good Jeff. Keep us posted. I'm curious to see the final wait of the 1/10th scale wood boats. We have a few 1/10th scale clubs up here in the PNW that primarily use either glass or WOF hulls. Curious on how the all wood 1/10th scale kits will compare. I have the 1/8th scale version of the 7931 ML Kit. Will start that in the Winter. I love this boat :)

My vintage boat weight that is also wood.

Not a kit but a complete scratch built from finlay plans is just under 6lbs. I could have made this boat a bit lighter but seams the 6lb mark is a good 1 to be at. Any lighter and they just want to fly and heavier is just added weight to lug around. Hoping to keep this boat between. 5-6lbs rtr

Here are some updated pics on things.

I will post up some details on things when I have time.

At moment in a MAD scramble to get this boat finished by the weekend and tested on saturday to race on sunday.

Keeping fingered crossed can finish everything.

IMG_6257.jpg

IMG_6258.jpg

IMG_6259.jpg

IMG_6519.jpg

IMG_6522.JPG

IMG_6528.JPG

IMG_6529.JPG

IMG_6530.JPG

IMG_6531.jpg

IMG_6535.JPG

IMG_6536.JPG

IMG_6537.jpg